Retirement extension a breeze.

giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

What will happen when they eventually close the loophole that allows people to obtain extensions illegally?

They won't because they (Immi officers) get a cut from the agents.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

And you pay through the nose for it. Today was very brief, but if you have all the correct paperwork (a doddle) it still is only an hour or so if you go on the right days. If someone's time is that precious that they can't afford an hour of their time once a year, I suggest they think they are more important than they are, either that or the paperwork is just too difficult for them.

As my first extension is coming up can you refresh me on the documents required .

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

Can someone tell me why an agent can be used to obtain an extension when my wife of a friend cannot do it?

They can't, you have to be there in person. They just do the paperwork for you.

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Just me and the Mrs the original retirement visa /multi entry was a very long winded affair hence the question.

You still don't say what method are you using, an extension by marriage, by income, by 800,000 baht, what?

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

Sorry 800k 

You will need to get a letter from your bank proving that you have the 800,000, then I suggest you take your passport to the office next door to immigration and ask them to copy all the relevant details from your passport, they know exactly what's required, you will also need a photo and you have to complete a TM8 form.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Is proof required for the Australian income letter ? or is it just a declaration, I earn x, signed and stamped ?

It's a statutory declaration. Monthly income in Australian dollars. Based on my experience, the Consulate officers are not remotely interested in proof. However, putting false information in a statutory declaration is a criminal offence in Australia. Maybe that will catch up with some people one day.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You will need to get a letter from your bank proving that you have the 800,000, then I suggest you take your passport to the office next door to immigration and ask them to copy all the relevant details from your passport, they know exactly what's required, you will also need a photo and you have to complete a TM8 form.

Thanks sounds encourage ably easy ?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It's a statutory declaration. Monthly income in Australian dollars. Based on my experience, the Consulate officers are not remotely interested in proof. However, putting false information in a statutory declaration is a criminal offence in Australia. Maybe that will catch up with some people one day.

Thanks, reason I asked was this thread from last year, were proof was required for a while, then it appears to have changed again.

Congrats on your flawless execution.

I have to say if I was 3 hours away from the immigration office I needed to use and the office was known to be persnickity I'd probably want to pay for an agent the first time at least, in spite of all the good advice here. But if I ever move to Thailand and live in Pattaya, I'll go the DIY route for sure.

As an analogy, whenever I moved between US states I always hired someone to do my taxes the first year in the new state, then thereafter I did my own taxes until I changed states again. In my view I was paying them to do the work and answer my questions and provide me a model I could follow in the future, not just save me some time.

Sometimes there's a fine line between being lazy and smart ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Is proof required for the Australian income letter ? or is it just a declaration, I earn x, signed and stamped ?

No additional proof is mandatory. However, a few weeks ago, a Jomtien IO processing an extension renewal for a US applicant requested additional proof over and above the US embassy-issued declaration.

The IO's can ask for additional proof but at this juncture, it is not seen as being a regular request.

You can always play safe and bring a bank statement, pension letter or whatever else with you.

Edited by NanLaew
sp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Any week with a holiday is is always a bad choice, simply because the workload of the 5 normal days has to be done over 4. Next week will be the same.

If you apply before mid-morning then you will normally get your passport back after lunch.

I've never had any trouble with a bank letter obtained the day before.

Personally I always apply in the afternoon and get my passport back the next day.

You can apply for the re-entry permit as soon as you have collected your passport, and this normally does not take long in Jomtien.

I put my money in the bank on 26th April,  will a letter from the bank today be valid? 

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

That's not mandatory, you can get a proof of income letter from your embassy.

I got my embassy letter on Saturday and I will be doing my retirement extension probably on the 14th or 17th of August (due on the 23rd) and tie the 90 day report at the same time.

This will be at Khampaeng Phet Immigration which is 65 km each way and I will probably do a bulk shop on the same day.

If anybody cares this will be my 9th extension, 1 at Mae Sot, 6 at Nakhon Sawan, KPP last year and I have never used an agent yet.

Once you get all the paperwork set up it is easy.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I put my money in the bank on 26th April,  will a letter from the bank today be valid? 

Technically I suppose that as long as the application is three months after the deposit date then it should not make any difference if the letter is dated a day earlier. But in the end it will depend on the mood of the immigration officer on the day. Are you feeling lucky, punk? ?️‍♂️

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Technically I suppose that as long as the application is three months after the deposit date then it should not make any difference if the letter is dated a day earlier. But in the end it will depend on the mood of the immigration officer on the day. Are you feeling lucky, punk? ?️‍♂️

Not really,  I am stuck at  suvarnabhumi,  until at least 2pm, so will just go to bank first thing tomorrow,  I don't fly to England until the evening of the 3rd, so,  even with the holiday I should get it all done in time,  just might have to spend a few hours extra in immigration ?

5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

That's a 5-6 hour drive, plus time at the embassy, plus a 5-6 hours return drive, for some.  

You can do it online with the British Embassy and they post you the original letter.

I quite enjoy my (all) day, some times overnight for the fun of it, trip to Krabi to visit immigration, with the exception of the construction shopping for our project which is far more frustrating than any Immigration visit. It's just a pity the cinema in Tesco rarely shows any decent movies with English soundtrack.

super easy.

Bangkok Bank letter showing funds in fixed account. 30 minutes. 200 baht. Update passbooks that day.

passport. house lease. print out of google map to my house from immigration office.

fill out form. (you can do it at home)    

copies and photo at immigration. nice lady put everything in order for me. 153 baht.

wait for 30 minutes. 30 minutes later done.

1900 baht plus 3800 baht multi reentry.

just don't think about how inefficient the process is, relax and be super friendly to everyone. And dress nicely.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, buffallobill said:

Not really,  I am stuck at  suvarnabhumi,  until at least 2pm, so will just go to bank first thing tomorrow,  I don't fly to England until the evening of the 3rd, so,  even with the holiday I should get it all done in time,  just might have to spend a few hours extra in immigration ?

Looking back at your comments, you dont seem to say if this is your first extension or not. If it is your first then you only need two months seasoning, so you would be well past that now. Only subsequent extensions require three months seasoning.

3 hours ago, Tofer said:

You can do it online with the British Embassy and they post you the original letter.

I quite enjoy my (all) day, some times overnight for the fun of it, trip to Krabi to visit immigration, with the exception of the construction shopping for our project which is far more frustrating than any Immigration visit. It's just a pity the cinema in Tesco rarely shows any decent movies with English soundtrack.

The Embassy does not take Thai debit cards even though they are backed by Visa.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

super easy.

Bangkok Bank letter showing funds in fixed account. 30 minutes. 200 baht. Update passbooks that day.

passport. house lease. print out of google map to my house from immigration office.

fill out form. (you can do it at home)    

copies and photo at immigration. nice lady put everything in order for me. 153 baht.

wait for 30 minutes. 30 minutes later done.

1900 baht plus 3800 baht multi reentry.

just don't think about how inefficient the process is, relax and be super friendly to everyone. And dress nicely.   

I usually take my Ebook reader to help pass the time.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The Embassy does not take Thai debit cards even though they are backed by Visa.

Didn't know that. I used my UK bank card which was accepted.

Oddly I had a very good experience with them on that occassion, but it sounds like they are still making life difficult for some.

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Didn't know that. I used my UK bank card which was accepted.

Oddly I had a very good experience with them on that occassion, but it sounds like they are still making life difficult for some.

I had the same problem several years ago when I renewed my passport through Hong Kong. I got an email from them and they said I couldn't use my debit card so I called my friend in the UK and used hers. Perfectly OK. Mind you I did have a problem transferring the money from my KBank account to my friends account in the UK.

I went to my local KBank in the village and at one point I was on the phone to KBank central in English, one of the bank ladies was on to them in Thai, another was doing the paperwork and a third was making notes in case it happens again. It took about an hour in all.

I found out this month when I renewed my debit card that the basic card is not valid outside of Thailand but there are a couple which may be. Of course they were out of stock of those.

Another one of the little joys of Thailand.