Apple sold me a lemon and now they want to hold my Macbook to ransom

Dumper

2 years ago I bought a Macbook Pro. I have always looked after by Macbook, in that I never use with greasy fingers, never touch the screen. Overtime the monitor has deteriorated to the point that it is practically now un-viewable (see pics). I did some research just recently and found out that my model is amongst a batch that have problems with the anti-reflective coating deterioting, and Apple will replace free of charge. I contacted Apple and was told I should take it to a service centre.

Yesterday I contacted the iCare Apple Service Centre at Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. They told me that I should bring my Macbook down, they will order a new monitor and I can bring my Macbook back when the new monitor arrives and they can fix it in a day. Well, I took my Macbook down today and they insisted that I have to leave it there for 2 weeks. I contacted Apple who got involved and they in turn contacted the store. The store told them they hold the computer (ransom) as guarantee of payment from Apple, as they don't get paid from Apple until the job is complete. This is totally unacceptable, I can't be without my computer (which is  now F**ked because of Apple's inferior screen) for two week because their service provider wants to hold my computer to ransom. Just to avoid any confusion, the part is sent from Singapore and can be installed in a day, but iCare want to inconvenience me by holding my computer for the entire time. The person who I spoke to at Apple said there is nothing they can do. 

edacebb5-6590-4439-b4bf-1f4f71317296.jpg

939c8253-8a17-4ff4-bcb6-f9daa87537be.jpg

fbeb196c-e209-46ab-8457-ad73e464e336.jpg

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

I can put you in touch with Apple's highest and most powerful group in Singapore.  It's called the customer relations group and you won't get to anyone there without directly asking for them.  They are troubleshooters at Apple.  You didn't mention having Applecare so do you have it?  That Apple can do nothing may be nonsense, but these CRETINS who are under contract with Apple are just that, under contract.  They don't work for Apple directly they work as contractors.  Apple as yet has no Apple Store in Thailand let alone Bangkok.

Long story short, I had the Thunderbolt ports go bad on the iMac that I brought to Thailand from the States.  I used them for external monitors.  Applecare entitles you to onsite repair.  Not one of the 6 providers under contract wanted to come to Lad Prao due to the BTS induced traffic.  It took me a month, but I made them replace my iMac with a brand new I7 iMac 27".  It was shipped from Singapore and they sent DHL to come to pick up the broken one.  There are two takeaways from this experience.  One, and the best advice I can give is not to buy APPLE anything.  Their hardware sucks.  I bought a 21 inch iMac in 2008 and that is the only iMac I ever paid for.  I have had 4 free replacements and the one I am on now is the fourth.  Two, always buy Applecare.   Three, for a MacBook, you would have done better to take a trip to another country with an Apple store and let them repair it.  For the money, Apple isn't worth it. You're better off spending money on a new Dell.  For the money, you can buy two, maybe three Dells.  

I'll PM you to give you the info.  

PS my new year and half old iMac has now developed BlueTooth problems which means another logic board (motherboard) replacement.  I'm very interested to know the scumbag who is holding your Mac hostage as I'll be sure to tell Apple support in Singapore to steer clear of them.  

It's another example of Apple's stellar hardware breaking down again.  Since 2008 I have probably have had 15 onsite repairs over 3 different iMacs.  That might be a conservative number too.

Hi Tony,

That would be great if you could DM me. I again spoke to Apple tonight who told me it is "out of their hands". I don't have AppleCare, but Apple have accepted that it needs to be replaced. The recall is valid for 4 years. Out simply, iCare wont order the part and repair it unless they can hold on to the Macbook as security that I will get it fixed with them. Two weeks they want to computer for. The person I spoke to at Apple is nothing more than a robot. 

Just remember it’s all Franchises in Thailand and I was told by Apple in USA that these folk can basically charge what they want, as well as being cowboys . Any repairs get it done in Singapore ,US or Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

I have had Apple products for about 15 years and never had an issue. In fact the one I am using now is 9 years old with NO downtime.

30 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

I was an Apple-only user for 12 years and I've owned the all - multiple MBPs, Macbook, Mac Pro, iMac, countless iPhones and even an Apple TV. 

My MBP died last year and I replaced it with a PC - I'll never go back to Apple again. A lot has changed, Windows 10 perfectly usable OS with zero dramas whereas every version of OSX/macOS just became more of a pain (compatibility) and really didn't do much in the way on innovation either. I have access to my Mrs' MBP now and I don't know how I put up with it for so long. 

Mac's peaked maybe 6-8 years ago and they've going backwards since.  

Personally, I find each OS upgrade to be much better than the previous.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2018 at 10:57 AM, markaoffy said:

Just remember it’s all Franchises in Thailand and I was told by Apple in USA that these folk can basically charge what they want, as well as being cowboys . Any repairs get it done in Singapore ,US or Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You're wrong.  100 percent wrong.  Stop promoting wrong info.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, markaoffy said:

Limited being a polite way of putting it !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As I stated earlier, I am on my 4th or 5th iMac since 2008.  It was an Applecare replacement. It is developing Bluetooth issues which means a new logic board (motherboard).  The Singapore folks have been at it all week to find a repair person to come to my condo and swap the logic board with a new one. This wasn't the greatest week for the effort, but I'm still waiting to hear from the case owner at Apple Singapore.  If I take a trip somewhere, I'll let them take my iMac, but I won't sit and wait for its return.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, observer90210 said:

As a 20 year user of Apple, nothing will make me go back to a get a PC...nothing !

Why would I argue with you?  I won't buy another Apple iMac.  I have owned 4 or 5 and I only ever bought 1.  Getting them repaired in this country sucks balls.  I would never spend my own money to buy this crap.  Apple hardware is crap.  In owning 4 or 5 of them, and an iPhone 5 for my son, each and every one of them has needed multiple hardware repairs due to crap hardware from China.  

You're wrong.  100 percent wrong.  Stop promoting wrong info.

How am I wrong ! I am totally correct! Apple told me “technicians have to be authorised to do repairs, however the charges are not the same as stated Apple ! There is no fixed price structure for the many different Apple franchises in Thailand! It’s a fact

Sorry you Guys who write about how Apple is so expensive and unreliable. Unfortunately you are greatly outgunned by the millions of satisfied Apple Users who will buy nothing else. MacBook Pros' are expensive but you have to compare them with high end Dell XPS or HP Elitebooks or Lenovo ThinkPads. Just as you should buy AppleCare Support, so you should buy the equivalent cover from other Manufactures - that's around 8000 Baht but don't be stingy. Don't romanticise about brands, you will get what you pay for. By the way I use a Windows10 PC so no axe to grind. 

8 minutes ago, hawksway said:

Sorry you Guys who write about how Apple is so expensive and unreliable. Unfortunately you are greatly outgunned by the millions of satisfied Apple Users who will buy nothing else. MacBook Pros' are expensive but you have to compare them with high end Dell XPS or HP Elitebooks or Lenovo ThinkPads. Just as you should buy AppleCare Support, so you should buy the equivalent cover from other Manufactures - that's around 8000 Baht but don't be stingy. Don't romanticise about brands, you will get what you pay for. By the way I use a Windows10 PC so no axe to grind. 

I am an IT professional since 1991.  I have clients on both Mac, PC, and Unix.  The hardware fail rate on Macs is atrocious.  We support small to medium concerns in the USA.  My own experience with Apple has been less than stellar.  Most of those people who support Apple are snookered by the marketing.  The reliability is not what they would have you believe.  Besides, as my history professor was fond of saying, "the masses are asses."  I don't follow crowds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

I have a really nice 2017 iMac I bought from Banana IT. So far, so good. Works great. I'd trust them with a repair, if needed. Bought phone there too. I am not affiliated with them. 

I do hope you purchased Applecare.  If not, you have surprises in store for you.

possible option. contact apple usa or singapore with photos of screen and tell them thai apple will hold your mbp hostage. if apple can send directly to you a new screen you can get it installed by many very competent third party apple techs, on your schedule.

and if apple doesnt pay them you will be forced to pay for labor. i recently had a macbook screen replaced and labor was 20-30 usd range at non apple authorized place. i got the screen on ebay

Edited by atyclb

3 hours ago, markaoffy said:

How am I wrong ! I am totally correct! Apple told me “technicians have to be authorised to do repairs, however the charges are not the same as stated Apple ! There is no fixed price structure for the many different Apple franchises in Thailand! It’s a fact

You claimed that you gained this knowledge from Apple USA.  The only people who have knowledge of how things work in Thailand is Apple Singapore.  They also are in Australia as well.  The Asian part of Apple knows.  The USA people know nothing.  That's how I know your information is suspect.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, observer90210 said:

As a 20 year user of Apple, nothing will make me go back to a get a PC...nothing !

I had to use an Apple in 1995, nothing will make me want to touch another one ever again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to see a prompt reply 

Hit them where it hurts

Post on their official Facebook page and twitter 

I did this once and had a reply within an hour asking for the reseller information and got a quick resolution 

On 7/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, Dumper said:

Hi Tony,

That would be great if you could DM me. I again spoke to Apple tonight who told me it is "out of their hands". I don't have AppleCare, but Apple have accepted that it needs to be replaced. The recall is valid for 4 years. Out simply, iCare wont order the part and repair it unless they can hold on to the Macbook as security that I will get it fixed with them. Two weeks they want to computer for. The person I spoke to at Apple is nothing more than a robot. 

In an imperfect world we sometime need an imperfect solution....

Instead of leaving your MacBook which you don't want to be without, leave a deposit... it stinks, but it's a solution, no? 

This is is just the way Thailand works. 

I had a nice car and received a stone chip/crack on the windscreen. 

Insurance would cover it but I had hassles when getting the garage to order a new windscreen from Europe. 50k deposit returned a month later after the new windscreen arrived & insurance paid...  It was a frustrating learning experience, the customer is not a priority ( apples & oranges I know,  but the point is valid).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 6:57 PM, TonyClifton said:

It's another example of Apple's stellar hardware breaking down again.  Since 2008 I have probably have had 15 onsite repairs over 3 different iMacs.  That might be a conservative number too.

My experience with Mac is rather positive :
MacBook 13 " mid 2010 (heavily used on the road ) : 
(1) charger cable outer insulation started disintegrating in 2016.
(2) missed recall to replace bottom cover.
(3) DVD drive stopped responding in 2016;
iMac 24 " mid 2007 :
(1) HDD Crashed in 2018.
(2) OS cannot be upgraded after 10.11.6

Some other brands I tried were cheap, but beyond repair after 3 - 4 years.

and as some users before already noted, do not want to go back to a MS or experiment with other operating system.
Reason I moved over was video and photo editing that MS simply could not handle, and I never looked back.

Edited by KKr