Ear drops to remove wax

bluesofa

I have had ear problems all my life. I tend now to get a frequent build-up of wax. Back in the UK I could just go and buy Earex Drops.

Having asked a few pharmacies here, no one seems to sell any sort of product similar to Earex. Does anyone know if there is something available here?

I have looked on the Thai Boots website, but can't find anything, and the Earex website says they will only despatch within the UK.

26 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Go to a Fascino pharmacy (they're everywhere in Thailand) and get some 'DeWAX' - this is the box it comes in :

image.png.31793b803754379c13edf0619d4cf7ac.png

I got some of this a couple of weeks back after a cold.

Thanks so much for the detailed fast reply & pic. I will give it a go.

As said Hydrogen Peroxide is available anywhere.  But actually seeing an ENT doctor is an option here and would not cost that much - understand the video view is worth the price from those that have.

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

Just buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide from any pharmacy.  Far cheaper than fancy branded products in tiny bottles.  (Peroxide is the active ingredient of both Earex and DeWAX.)

The active ingredient in DeWax according to the box sitting on my desk right next to me is 'Docusate Sodium' at quite a low concentration.

8 hours ago, DeepState said:

How much does deWax cost here in Thailand ?

When I bought mine a couple of weeks back I picked up a 20 pack course of Amoxicillin as well and the bill total was about 220 Baht for both of them.

It's cheap.

I use the DeWax and add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil to clean and keep a reoccurring ear fungus cleared... Works great and as said is at Fascinos - or any larger real pharmacy (Not Boots/Watson’s - Which really aren’t  pharmacies)... The only thing I don’t like about DeWax is the dropper that comes with it as huge!... A bought a smaller dropper bottle for my mixed drops

Tea Tree oil is your friend.

Using Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil droplets in your ear will help loosen up earwax. Additionally, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, meaning that it will kill any fungus or bacteria that is growing in your ear. Put a couple drops of oil into each ear every day for 5 to 7 days. Tilt your head to the side as you place the drops, and keep your head tilted until you feel the oil draining into your ear. Repeat this process twice a day.

I see the Earex drops which are described as 'Olive Oil Ear Drops' contains: Glycerol BP, Urea Hydrogen Peroxide 5%.

Maybe if I use the DeWax drops, I will be able to talk of of my arse?

As a kid I had a perforated eardrum and at about 11 years old I had an operation to repair it. That involved grafting skin over the perforation.

The skin came from a piece on my backside - seriously. So as for the joke about talking out of my arse, I can genuinely, honestly, say I can hear out of mine.

I've had similar blockages since I've become older and have gone to the ENT doc in the middle east where they use a suction device...and once the blockage was so bad that the suction device became clogged and there was a bloody great whirring sound and I thought that we were all gonna die but then the doc calmly switched off the machine and cleared it and the job got done...

and ye think that yer gonna die on the roads with all the crazy arsed drivers...or maybe falling off of a 10 storey utility boiler under construction...that ear wax ain't no joke, it is a killer...

• 8 months later...

Despite the very helpful and detailed information in this topic, I have, (after a long time admittedly) managed to track down Fascino in Udon Thani.

Initially a branch was listed on their website. When I tried to find it, it didn't exist.

I left it a while and looked again at the Fascino website yesterday. Now they don't even have a branch listed in Udon.

Searched google maps which produced one, including a street view shot of it. Got my wife to call the BKK office who gave her a phone number. She called and it was indeed the one on street view.

A large new shop. I went in armed with the photo ukrules kindly posted of the Dewax Ear Drops.

The assistant looked confused and called the pharmacist over. She told me they didn't sell it as it was 'out of stock'.

I asked when they were going to order some more. She said they weren't as BKK didn't have any more.

When I argued the point that someone I knew had bought some 'a few weeks ago', she asked if I had tried to buy it online?

Sadly after all this, I'm not impressed with Fascino or their website. Perhaps in BKK it's better, but not out here in the sticks of Udon.

I don't suppose anyone knows who might sell Dewax Ear Drops. online in Thailand?

(I'd rather try and stick with a brand name first, in case if I ask a local pharmacy for the chemical name, I could end up with something dangerous if I'm given the wrong thing.)

BPV develops when small crystals of calcium carbonate that are normally in another area of the ear break free and enter the semicircular canals. It can also happen when these crystals form inside the semicircular canals.

Look up BPV.

Costs me about the same to get my ears cleaned at a good hospital as an average bottle of red table wine. 

Archived