Does it matter where I go to get my Mac repaired?

pete66

My Mac Mini is still under warranty, but it has some hardware issue causing random freezes/shutdowns, even when it's not particularly hot.

So... I am going to take it for repair. But so many places to choose from in Bangkok.

So I'm just wondering if one "local Apple Authorized Service Provider" is better or worse than any other? Or do they just take the Mac off you, and send it to some centralized place to actually be looked and repaired?

Second question - any time estimate for how long I will be without my Mac? I need it for work, so it's obviously a concern.

Cheers,

Not wanting to be rude, but nobody here can give you a time estimate. The time estimate can only be given by the company who does the repairing. It will depend on what is damaged and if they have the parts in stock. So you would have to ask around first. But I doubt the could give you a good estimate right away as they might not know what is wrong right away and thus don't know if they need replacements part.

I can't give you other advice, about where to go, I hope some other members can give you advice. But i read some bad things about an apple center holding a Mac ransom until Apple paid up because it was under warranty and they did not want to lose out on their repair cost. 

In Phuket I took mine to the authorised agent for repairs since that's where these Apple lookalike re-sellers will send it. Lookalike is where the service similarity ends unless you take out Apple Care in which case they'll still send it to the repair agent. Once I took it to the repair agent it took 4 days. Just by way of example, in my case they had to wait for a new hard drive.

Have you seen this thread: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722640-apple-mac-warranty-centres-in-thailand-official-places/

Sent using Tapatalk

iStudio (also called Studio7) runs dedicated apple shops in most cities now. iCare, their Apple authorized repair facility is also usually nearby. They are very good but expensive - of course. Don't  expect  them to  speak  English. Their counter staff  are very  slow, it's takes them 30 minutes to  enter up  the repair  contract, and they  will  want  your  passport. They  charge THB 900 non  refundable deposit  'for looking'. No same day service, but  they  will  call  you when it's ready  or with the quote for  the repair. Always back up  your  files -  they  will  delete everything.

(3 x MacMini, 1 x iMac 27", 1 x MacbookPro, 1 x iPad. Absolutely  no  iPhones).

Edited by Chaichara
expanded

official apple told me i needed a new logic baord for my mac pro (very expensive)  ten i went to a place called  house of mac,  or mac house on 3 or 4th floor fortune it mall.

the technician knew exactly which chip on the logic board to replace. 2800 baht versus new logic board.  a great place and save tons of money. they have microscopes and tech to do board level repairs.

apple is infamous for choosing to not repair repairable boards because theres a lot more profit in telling you u need a new one.

Edited by atyclb

Official shops are the best, but there are good, reputable independents, if you can locate and verify them.

I personally like a shop call iParts on Sukhumvit 101/1 at Soi 36.

Excellent service, knowledgeable guy, great prices.

• Like 1

If under warranty take it to an Authorized Repair shop because this will preserve the warranty status. If you take it to an unauthorized shop, there is a very good likelihood Apple will void the warranty for any future repairs or problems.

I used Unity Progress to repair the screen on my iMac that was damaged during shipping. They did a good job very quickly - I did have to wait a week for the screen to arrive in BKK from Singapore but was able to bring it in once they got it. They are on Naraditwas (sp?) by Rama 3.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

The Apple repair centre in Amarin Plaza near Chidlom BTS station is one of, if not the best repair centre in Thailand. I haven't heard of any complaints over them, as long as item was bought in the region. They would not accept anything bought in Europe or US or elsewhere, unless it comes with global warranty. Most of the time, with difficult to repair items, they just replace them with a new one.

I have used Amarin, and they are a fine choice.

But you best make an appointment, or be prepared to wait for 6 to 8 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkkdawg said:

Pro Corner in Fortune Town is the best place to get a Mac repaired in my opinion. They do an excellent job and the fees are very reasonable..

pro corner was my first stop with macbook pro. told me macs are not their forte. second place told me i need new logic board, then house of mac replaced an ic on logic board and works perfectly.

pro corner is excellent though for what they do

@atyclb Your Mac pro must have been out of warranty, And apple has so far replaced two devices that was out of warranty for me at no cost.

One was a iPod mini, or was it called micro? (looked like a stick girl pee on to check it they are pregnant), and they even upgraded it to the one with a small touch screen that looks like an Apple watch. The other one was an iPhone5, where after I gave it away the screen came loose. Got a brand new one because the battery was swollen and that poped the screen out.

10 hours ago, pete66 said:

My Mac Mini is still under warranty, but it has some hardware issue causing random freezes/shutdowns, even when it's not particularly hot.

So... I am going to take it for repair. But so many places to choose from in Bangkok.

So I'm just wondering if one "local Apple Authorized Service Provider" is better or worse than any other? Or do they just take the Mac off you, and send it to some centralized place to actually be looked and repaired?

Second question - any time estimate for how long I will be without my Mac? I need it for work, so it's obviously a concern.

Cheers,

Bring it to one of the shops apple recommend on their support pages, no where else as long its under warranty.

Thumbs up for the one in Amarin Plaza. 

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

@atyclb Your Mac pro must have been out of warranty, And apple has so far replaced two devices that was out of warranty for me at no cost.

One was a iPod mini, or was it called micro? (looked like a stick girl pee on to check it they are pregnant), and they even upgraded it to the one with a small touch screen that looks like an Apple watch. The other one was an iPhone5, where after I gave it away the screen came loose. Got a brand new one because the battery was swollen and that poped the screen out.

yes out of warranty.  if it still has warranty go to authorized apple first

i had that same swollen batery issue in an earlier macbook and apple extended replacement free of charge after warranty expired but i only learned about it when it was too late. despite being a registered purchaser having a known defective issue they never emailed me.

Edited by atyclb

47 minutes ago, atyclb said:

pro corner was my first stop with macbook pro. told me macs are not their forte. second place told me i need new logic board, then house of mac replaced an ic on logic board and works perfectly.

pro corner is excellent though for what they do

Yea, I can't remember the place in Fortune where Pro corner sent me the second time around. I think Pro Corner are good at fixing certain things with Macs, like they did with mine when some idiot spilt a beer on my keyboard. It was called Mac something, where the round part of Fortune is on the 4th floor. Both shops are very honest and reasonable though and 3 years later my MacBook is still running great

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 1:54 AM, timendres said:

I have used Amarin, and they are a fine choice.

But you best make an appointment, or be prepared to wait for 6 to 8 hours.

Yes, I can also vouch for the shop in Amarin Plaza. I've taken my girlfriend's Macs  for service there several times (all of which I bought for her in the US--disregard the uninformed poster who said they would only service machines bought in Thailand...if it's under Apple Care, they MUST service it, regardless of where it was bought...in fact, it is none of their business where it was purchased, and you have no reason to tell them...they determine it's under Apple Care by entering the serial number of the machine into a website).

Note that for most types of service, they will need to send your Mac to Singapore, and it will likely take at least a week, more likely two, to get it back.

I, too, like the attitude at the AASP in Amarin, though I've only asked them for advice and not used them for repair.

When your computer is in warranty or extended AppleCare, you MUST use an AASP or your warranty will be void. Little really goes wrong with Mac Minis. But, since this problem is happening to yours, I'd suggest buying AppleCare before the standard one-year warranty runs out, if you haven't already.

In any case, call Apple: 02-681-2081 or freecall 001-800-65-6957. They will often authorise repairs or replacement even when your warranty has expired.

AASPs here do not keep Apple parts in stock. They need to order from Apple Singapore which can take a week or two. You should always opt to keep your Mac and get them to call you when parts are in.

For Mac repairs after warranty, I've followed around Suchart for 20 years. He's at Houk & Bank, big shop on ground floor Pantip, right side toward back. Reliable, great service, fair prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I have AppleCare (3 year global warranty). The thing is, my Mac Mini is BTO (built to order), so I'm not sure how they will go about replacing it if they can't find the fault...

But I guess I'll just start with an appointment @ Amarin Plaza and go from there.

Thanks for your help ?

There is only one "REAL AUTHORIZED APPLE REPAIR CENTER" and that is an Apple Store. According to APPLE any place else is lying about being authorized to work on an APPLE.

I went through this while traveling through Eastern Europe! Had two phones ruined by people claiming to be Apple Certified repair services.

18 hours ago, pete66 said:

I have AppleCare (3 year global warranty). The thing is, my Mac Mini is BTO (built to order), so I'm not sure how they will go about replacing it if they can't find the fault...

But I guess I'll just start with an appointment @ Amarin Plaza and go from there.

Thanks for your help ?

Bro is no different to troubleshoot than non bto.

22 hours ago, atyclb said:

Bro is no different to troubleshoot than non bto.

Even if they decide they can't repair it, and it needs replacing? Surely a BTO machine is going to take longer to replace because there isn't a ready replacement sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I'll ask Apple online today...

1 hour ago, pete66 said:

Even if they decide they can't repair it, and it needs replacing? Surely a BTO machine is going to take longer to replace because there isn't a ready replacement sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I'll ask Apple online today...

If apple does component level repair they can fix fairly quickly. BTO  are not uncommon.