Retirement ext financial requirements increase

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How can you get a "retirement visa" in Australia, or anywhere else for that matter? 

He is writing about a NON-OA long stay visa for retirement that can be issued by a Thai embassy or official consulate in your home country,

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How can you get a "retirement visa" in Australia, or anywhere else for that matter? 

As far as I know you can only get an extension based on retirement after you have gone through the hoops back here in Thailand!

The Thai Embassy in Australia refer to the 'O-A' Long Stay visa as a "Retirement Visa".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

As far as I know you can only get an extension based on retirement after you have gone through the hoops back here in Thailand!

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

You should study up the above link...To get a retirement visa in Australia you are required to prove you have the money in a bank or a super retirement fund which you can access. That is real money.  It looks daunting, your medical certificates must be genuine.  You need a real police report $75 in W.A.  about 6 copies of everything all signed by a JP and Aus $275.  It's all done with Thai Embassy in Canberra not a Thai Consul.  For this you get a "O" multi entry retirement visa, which means you can come and go as much as you like in that 1st year.  Here is the bonus with a multi entry retirement visa.  If you leave Thailand each time you return your passport will be stamped for a further 12 months. e.g if you leave and return 4 times provide you return before the date of expiry your visa will be stamped for a further 12 months. If you return a day before you visa expires it will be stamped for another 1 year residency, would you believe a 1 year retirement visa can give you 2 years residency...almost crazy.

All doable it's nice to get to Thailand knowing you can stay for up to 2 years.  Many people will not believe this but it's true.  I've done it and it works.

PS... to get the 1 year extension you will have to leave Thailand and return.  Can do it on the same day...KL or somewhere.

Edited by David Walden

9 hours ago, David Walden said:

I wonder if you are one of those back door service providers

No, only agents can provide that service.

Incidentally we have a new batch of IO's in our office.

Apparent 4 were 'fired' for corruption.

Issuing extensions to foreigners who didn't qualify, in exchange for cash.

The extension stamps are genuine, but Immigration are calling them 'fake stamps' and the foreigners have been rounded up as well.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, DipStick said:

he told me that the cost of living was increasing rapidly and the present 800k, was insufficient

there is absolutely no logic in the 800k flat requirement for everybody, regardless of whether you own a house or pay rent, whether you live in Bangkok or in the sticks, whether you live alone or are supporting a whole village clan.

hence, i find it quite plausible that the same fine minds who invented a  800k/year estimate of the cost of living for all foreigners might now consider an increase.

I know a lot of people are, correctly, saying that a rise in cash holdings (or income) makes no sense but I look at it another way.

Immigration policy changes would be seen as an economic strategy move by the Gov (for retirees NOT for marriage). You want a retirement program that attracts a certain economic group. ala Malaysia's program. You don't want one that is "too easy" as it has the potential to be used by other groups you are not targeting. 

In this vain the cabinet is approving other "strategy" visas. E.g. one is for 10 years (5 plus 5) to attract medical and senior retiree individuals. But take-up has not been great as the requirements are high and the current "retiree" visa options are much easier by comparison

Maybe its inevitable that existing visas will become more difficult to attain esp when governments across the world are rallying to control "immigration" and "immigrants" - we are even seeing it here with the press coverage and hence politicalization of the activities of foreigners in the country.

If immigration enforcement is being strengthened (Big Jok, entry denials, etc) you can sure as bet policy is on the table for changing as well and consequently immigration rules.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

there is absolutely no logic in the 800k flat requirement for everybody, regardless of whether you own a house or pay rent, whether you live in Bangkok or in the sticks, whether you live alone or are supporting a whole village clan.

hence, i find it quite plausible that the same fine minds who invented a  800k/year estimate of the cost of living for all foreigners might now consider an increase.

Sure there is.

It is approx. 12 times the required 65,000 b a month.

Seems logical to me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Just a thought.

Which I share. But what worries me is that it will spill over into the marriage route, as there will be incentive to resort to fake marriages once the retirement option becomes unattainable for some. Hence an even higher level of scrutiny and red tape in a process that is already too cumbersome for those who lead a genuine family life here.

Edited by KiChakayan

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

In Cha-am where I stay there are conservative estimates of 20,000 vacant new and established homes available for rent which are out of reach of Thai locals, Bt 8,000/10,000 to 20/30,000 P/M.  Several hundred out of 600 vacant in the building I live in.  Many have been vacant for years about half are or more then 3/4 years old and never been occupied.  Great big buildings near the beach just waiting and hoping for a farang retiree to come along and buy or lease it.  I believe this situation is being duplicated in many other holiday areas in Thailand.

It is clear this situation can change if immigration requirements are modified and softened a bit.  The financial requirements may be OK for some not so good for others.  A simplified visa arrangement for granting and lengthening the time of stay would  assist retirees to commit themselves to a long term stay in Thailand and thus save Billions of Bht by putting money back into the Thai economy.  Maybe if they can get accountants running the country that will help.  The soon to be elections suggests this may happen soon?  Don't hold your breath waiting.

In Thailand sometimes giving advice to anyone can be regarded as defamation and can be a criminal offence.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Same as the Thai Embassy in the USA ?

They call it non-oa visa on the embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/

Non – Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) : Those age 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited. [please check]

I have clients who have two bank accounts in their home country and simply shuffle the same money between the two. They then show only one of them to their Embassy, claiming it is rental income( backed up by a dodgy lease agreement)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They call it non-oa visa on the embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/

It must be some of the US Consulates that refer to the O-A as 'retirement', such as;

http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/visas-which-cannot-be-processed.html

Please note that Long Stay “O-A” (Retirement) visas

We know the confusion it causes when members state I have a 'Retirement Visa'

Some of the Embassy/Consulate websites, even local Immigration aren't helping when using the term 'Retirement Visa'.

It's apples and oranges.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I have clients who have two bank accounts in their home country and simply shuffle the same money between the two. They then show only one of them to their Embassy, claiming it is rental income( backed up by a dodgy lease agreement)

Even the British Embassy don't check the documents you send as proof of income.

They take the figures you state on the form.

• Like 1

Some of the Embassy/Consulate websites, even local Immigration aren't helping when using the term 'Retirement Visa'.
It's apples and oranges.

All the Thai Consulates in Australia describe it as “visa for the purpose of retirement”

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the consulates in the US that seem to refer to it as a “retirement visa”.

e.g. Portland;

O-A RETIREMENT VISA

Only issued by Thai Embassy - Washington DC or the Los AngelesChicago or New York City Consulates

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 6:14 PM, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k. i know some do but i'd rather not live in thailand on that kind of money, it's not worth it. soi food and water, great fun

100,000 a month is a much more realistic amount

Edited by quadperfect
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

So if this is true about retirement seasoned money going up its not cause inflation. Its because thailand does not need or want retired ex pats . Living on 45,000 a month

Its a good idea. I think it should be 5 million. Just to keep the rif raf out.

If expats are living on 45,000 bht a month then there is a reason to make sure they are removed.

100,000 a month is a much more thai smile number.

If that indeed was a reason to increase the financial requirements, shouldn't they firstly tackle the problem of agents acquiring extensions on behalf of foreigners who can't meet the financial requirements that already exist, for 20,000 baht.

Of course if they did that they'd be taking food out of their own mouths.

Then again, more foreigners having to use agents in a corrupt manner because of increased financials to get extensions, would increase their incomes and put more food on the table. It wouldn't decrease the number of foreigners staying here, just ramp up the income from corrupt practices.

Regardless, we'll never understand the logic behind such a move.

They'll probably 'grandfather' the financial requirements anyway, so you'll just have to put up with living amongst your poor foreign neighbours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It must be some of the US Consulates that refer to the O-A as 'retirement', such as;

http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/visas-which-cannot-be-processed.html

It's apples and oranges.

I have a retirement visa applied for and granted from the Royal Thai Embassy Canberra.  Australia.  I applied for and the visa and was issued one from that Embassy.  I had several lovely advice discussions from my home state W.A. with staff from the Embassy leading up to be granted that Retirement Visa.  At all time in my discussions I only ever called it a Thai Retirement Visa and the staff at the Embassy replied to me about the "Thai  Retirement Visa".  The Royal Thai Embassy on their webb site refers to it as and I quote " RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA (Maximum stay 1 year and employment is prohibited)".   I rest my case.  When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

As I’m still sprightly I apply for a fresh retirement visa every two years while on a visit to my home country; no need to go through the extension nonsense in Thailand

It takes me 10 minutes a year to get my retirement extension.  What extension nonsense are you talking about?  Seems to me you are doing it the hard way.  New police and health certificates and all the other rigamarole every year from your home country not necessary in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

As I’m still sprightly I apply for a fresh retirement visa every two years while on a visit to my home country; no need to go through the extension nonsense in Thailand

Regardless of what you may call it, the entry stamp only gives you temporary permission to stay for 1 year at a time...….. hardly a permanent retirement Visa.

You obviously believe what you read, rather than research for yourself.

The retirement extension, applied for locally in Thailand, breaks down into 3  administrative actions.

Of course you'll need to complete an application form and supply a passport photo.

1. The first is proof of ID and your Immigration status.

All that proof is in your Passport, which amounts to 5 photocopies.

2. Proof of address.

Again photocopies of wife/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, maybe a rental contract if you have one.

A local map showing your location.

(So far you should have only moved between your armchair and the copier).

3. Financial proof.

A letter from your Embassy confirming monthly income, or a trip to a branch of your bank to update your passbook and obtain a letter.

(That's real hard work and tiring)

A trip to your local Immigration office to submit the application and documents.

The above is deemed 'jumping through hoops' and 'nonsense' by certain members. I leave it to you to consider the real reasons.

Now how does that procedure compare with the steps you take to obtain your 'retirement Visa' back home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

3. Financial proof.

A letter from your Embassy confirming monthly income, or a trip to a branch of your bank to update your passbook and obtain a letter.

For some people the bank side is the problem because they don't want to move the money to here or cannot because of restrictions for the account they have it in their home country.

For those able to meet the income requirements there is no real advantage to getting the OA visa.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, wgdanson said:

So what about us happy retirees who have built and paid for their house in the 'sticks', have a stable, loving relationship, live a reasonable lifestyle away from Nana & Cowboy, and can manage quite comfortably on Bht 50,000 a month. Should we have to prove an income of Bht 100,000.

Good point agree fully can live comfortably on 50,000, if not needing to play the bars ect

• Like 1

Regardless of what you may call it, the entry stamp only gives you temporary permission to stay for 1 year at a time...….. hardly a permanent retirement Visa.

You obviously believe what you read, rather than research for yourself.
The retirement extension, applied for locally in Thailand, breaks down into 3  administrative actions.
Of course you'll need to complete an application form and supply a passport photo.
1. The first is proof of ID and your Immigration status.
All that proof is in your Passport, which amounts to 5 photocopies.
2. Proof of address.
Again photocopies of wife/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, maybe a rental contract if you have one.
A local map showing your location.
(So far you should have only moved between your armchair and the copier).
3. Financial proof.
(That's real hard work and tiring)

A trip to your local Immigration office to submit the application and documents.
The above is deemed 'jumping through hoops' and 'nonsense' by certain members. I leave it to you to consider the real reasons.

Now how does that procedure compare with the steps you take to obtain your 'retirement Visa' back home.

Since I’m already back in my home country it consists of printing off a few documents from my computer, applying for a police certificate via computer, seeing my regular physician for a health check which I would be doing anyway, and mailing everything off to the local Thai Consulate. Nothing onerous at all and mostly accomplished by sitting comfortably at home. Fortunately my brother-in-law is an attorney so he certifies everything the Consulate needs certified when we catch up. What could be simpler? Not a Thai bureaucrat in sight
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 12:19 PM, Tanoshi said:

Even the British Embassy don't check the documents you send as proof of income.

They take the figures you state on the form.

I think you may be getting mixed up with the US Embassy, as the British Embassy do need to see (& far as I can tell check) proof of income whereas the US Embassy works on an "Honour" system whereby they accept what you put on the form without further proof.

There are reports that Immigration are starting to ask to see evidence of funds going into your bank account if you use the income route, I don't know if they've cottoned on to the fact that it's easy for some people to get proof of income without actually getting the income.

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Since I’m already back in my home country it consists of printing off a few documents from my computer, applying for a police certificate via computer, seeing my regular physician for a health check which I would be doing anyway, and mailing everything off to the local Thai Consulate. Nothing onerous at all and mostly accomplished by sitting comfortably at home. Fortunately my brother-in-law is an attorney so he certifies everything the Consulate needs certified when we catch up. What could be simpler? Not a Thai bureaucrat in sight

Takes me 5 minutes at the bank and five minutes at immigration.  That's 10 minutes a year.  It takes you 26 hours flying in addition to and the cost of a western medical apt and flight to Thailand.  Most people have a problem explaining to an American doctor exactly what the Thai imm wants and the police check can't be done online and you have to pay the freight and not have possession of your passport for a couple of weeks.  I've done it both ways.  The home country way took me two weeks and many hours spent worrying about the whereabouts of my passport a number of trips to police and doctor and the cost of a 26 hour plane trip.  In my experience your way took me a month and thousands of dollars as opposed to 10 minutes and 1900 baht. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you may be getting mixed up with the US Embassy, as the British Embassy do need to see (& far as I can tell check) proof of income whereas the US Embassy works on an "Honour" system whereby they accept what you put on the form without further proof.

There are reports that Immigration are starting to ask to see evidence of funds going into your bank account if you use the income route, I don't know if they've cottoned on to the fact that it's easy for some people to get proof of income without actually getting the income.

There are threads about going back 10 years.  Brits are still whinging about the ease of being an American or Aussie for immigration purposes.