Alcohol sales ban tightened for Asanha Bucha, Lent

webfact

16 hours ago, ed strong said:

Theses alcohol 'bans' are very shaddy, as mentioned buying alcohol on these buddhist days is still possible in large thai restaurants and your mom and pop style store, marinas etc

There seems to be little  no worry about drinking from 'coffee' mugs in falang or small thai resatuarants.

I feel these bans are more to related to the sex industry, as these establishments are closed full stop (even if you want to play pool and drink fanta)

Now being a buddhist country and where prostitution is illegal (although everyone is aware whats going on just dont admit to it)

Its easier and thais wont lose face; to impose an alcohol ban and thus subsequently killing the sex industry for those couple of days and therefore Buddha is now appeased.

I honestly believe, the Buddha wouldn't have given two hot @#$%@ about it!

14 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Am used to 00:01 and 23:59, with Midnight taking up the missing minute for the 24 hour clock system.

The 12:01 PM is a minute after Midday, 12:01 AM a minute after midnight.

That said, I always relate the AM to After Midnight and the PM to Past Midday if using a 12 hour clock system, can't go too far wrong with that................:thumbsup:

In the Forces never had that missing minute, hence no confusion in the Captains Log.....lol 

...blah...blah...blah...guests in this country...have to take the bad with the good...blah blah...respect for THEIR religion...blah blah....

It is about "having a choice"!

I am not a Buddhist, but acknowledge that many people are!

And if they EVER would practice what they preach, maybe I would even respect that!

But I am not religious!

And thousands of tourists are not Buddhists!

And aren't you the guys, who usually make fun about the "nanny states" back home, because they tell hotels or shopping malls not to block the emergency exits or tell people to wear helmets or safety belts?

• Like 1

Went to a business get together last night attended by GMs of various 5 star hotels. To a man they said it was killing revenues but they don’t want to get shut down by Prayut’s storm troopers. Oh well, what’s a few billion baht in tourist revenue. These are the same people who can’t enforce a helmet law but God help you if you sell a Singh at the Hilton!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jorgendk said:

My 14 year old daughter is planning to go to the temple with her friends on Friday, and then after that they come home and have a party where they drink some alcohol.

I have just told her, that she can do it, but in my mind she should know that she is faking.

n  Going to temple to show she is a good Buda-girl, and at the same time planning to go back and drink alcohol.

But I suppose that is 'The Thai way' of doing things.

14 year olds permitted to drink ?  ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meechai said:

Dunno but its a Thai forum

We can check the Machu Picchu

Forum I guess & see if they have such craziness ?

Just for info, there's natural hot springs in the small village Aguas Calientes at the foot of the mountain, where you can relax with a beer every day of the year. 

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

is it saturday or sunday?

Till the end of Saturday. Alcohol is technically available from 00.00 hours on Sunday morning, some places should be open. 

Edited by lamyai3

7:15 pm, Friday evening, just finished a hard day's graft. The first cold one has gone down a treat, contemplating opening another.......what was this tread about again?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, anissaj11 said:

Many Thais will start the day by giving alms to monks in the morning and in the evening, people will fill the temples to listen to sermons and partake in the candlelight ceremony known as wien tein where they walk clockwise three times around the temple holding flowers, incense and a lit candle. 

The very same people who did the above in my village are now having a beer its both on sale to take away and drink outside we are in rural area but i have never seen an alcohol ban taken seriously here

3 hours ago, anissaj11 said:

Many Thais will start the day by giving alms to monks in the morning and in the evening, people will fill the temples to listen to sermons and partake in the candlelight ceremony known as wien tein where they walk clockwise three times around the temple holding flowers, incense and a lit candle. 

The very same people who did the above in my village are now having a beer its both on sale to take away and drink outside we are in rural area but i have never seen an alcohol ban taken seriously here

5 hours ago, anissaj11 said:

And then they go and have some relax time and drink alcohol. Drank with 4 Thais this afternoon and just walked home and observed several Thais drinking within their premises.

Newtons 3rd law of Motion..."for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"....The ban is on selling booze...not drinking it...so......went to the wat today to pay respects...Moo 10..however later In our wee shop...beer stop...we did not sell any alcohol today...and will not tomorrow..Sell is the word...yes..chai...gao....Hic...

13 hours ago, Jiggo said:

In the Forces never had that missing minute, hence no confusion in the Captains Log.....lol 

You are of course correct in that. It went from 23:59:59 to 00:00:01.

Never such a time as 24:00.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:06 PM, JAG said:

It really is all about control.

Why? 

Because we are in charge...

Checked in a hotel yesterday and was convinced a glass of wine was allowed when dining in its restaurant.....nope! Only mini bar and room service give me some drink. But pathetic / hypocratic.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, Aachen said:

NEVER! Alcohol in public is forbidden. (And nobody can tell, whether you brought "from outside" or not.)

"they will serve it for you"  -- The coffee-cup serving is illegal too.

So the 2 homeless Thai guys I saw Friday night drinking across from the policeman blowing his whistle and directing traffic should have been arrested instead of ignored??