Help ! My Dogs don't want to eat !

We bought them 2 1/2 years ago at a flea market.  We regularly visit the vet, get

all shots, etc. Get regular deworming treats ...

They look healthy and are playful, nothing apparent wrong with them ...

It's hard to tell from the pictures, they are very skinny and eat VERY little.

When we showed them, it becomes obvious how skinny they are.

They are purely outside dogs, have their little house for when it rains.

We have tried every dog food available in Thailand. From the various

dry foods to the various mushy canned stuff.

Now we buy bones at Makro and cook them. They seem to like that.

Visited several Vets, nobody has any idea. All we get is try different food.

Anybody experienced something like this ?

Any ideas/ suggestions?

Many thanks,

rudi

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

• Like 1

Some dogs are just fussy eaters, but as others have said - your beautiful dogs look perfectly healthy and as long as they're still they're normal selves, I wouldn't worry too much.

Having said this, they are part of our family and we love them so it's always worthwhile trying to provide them the best possible diet - which (IMO) will include a variety of foods, not just kibble/tinned dog food.  Added bonus, dogs love it too!  There's a very interesting thread on this forum on the subject.  (Edit - Food ideas for dog)

Unfortunately, I think we tend to worry if they're not slightly overweight!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

They look healthy, and as long as they are active they should be fine.

Short-haired dogs are easier to judge, but you should normally see their ribs when they run or walk.

As your dogs have long hair, you could just feel how much tissue there is over their ribs. It should not be much.

I wouldn't worry much at this point, until they start being lathergic.

• Like 1

how often do you worm your dogs?

dissect some stools, have a look at your dogs arse when its asleep to see if any tape worm is hanging out

when you worm your dogs you should worm yourselves as well.

Try some milk mixed with dog food, we also feed them bones we receive from the market for free.

There're some places where they sell pork legs and they keep the bones for us to pick them up. 

Feed them the red rice together with the usual dog food, there's a lot more vitamins and minerals inside than the white rice contains.

You've got two lovely dogs, please make sure that they feel good.

It might be worms in their stomachs, try a different vet, our vet is such an <deleted> who only wants to make money.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, Arjen said:

Well, on the first place, NEVER, NEVER EVER give your dog cooked bones. Bones you should feed raw, or after keeping 6 weeks in freezer to kill parasites. NEVER COOKED. I REPEAT. NEVER GIVE YOUR DOGS COOKED BONES.

After having said this, your dogs look OK, not skinny, but OK. Not to fat. When they are happy, and play, then you should not need to worry much.

The first signs you should look for sick dogs is change in behavior. When they are used to eat, or used to play, and suddenly are not interested, it is a sign for a sick dog. When the dog never has been a big eater, well, then he/she is not a big eater. We had a very skinny, but further healthy dog. The dog was so skinny that some of our visitors returned with a bag of dog food, or/and gave money to buy food for that particulair dog. She just did not like to eat.

When you are in a doubt, have them checked for parasites, but be not surprised nothing is wrong.

Good luck!

Arjen.

I completely agree with this advice.  I have four dogs who are in great health.  Monday to Friday we feed them BARF lunch time and evening.  BARF stands for Bone and Raw Food, which includes appropriate vegetables, but check on the internet which veggies are not good for dogs.  On Sunday they get raw bones for lunch and dinner, which is great for their teeth and gums.  We used to feed our dogs commercial biscuits and tinned meat, but sorry to say, after reading up on the contents of the biscuits and tinned meal, I will never feed them this again, what I consider, dog junk food.  One of the females who is a terrier mix, eats a little slower than the other, one chocolate lab and one yellow lab and a little female soi dog eat their BARF like there is no tomorrow!  Labs will eat you almost out of house and home, but they do love their BARF; are very active and look great.  The chocolate Guy's coat is so shinny too!  If you do go down this route, do it over a week, slowly introducing the BARF as a rapid change can upset their digestion.......same as us going from stogy european food to thai spicy food!  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see that one well meaning poster suggested feeding milk. Please don’t feed your dog milk!

Dogs the age of yours are usually lactose intolerant and so GI upsets (diarrhea and flatulence) will almost inevitably occur, usually within 12 hours. More seriously they may also develop pancreatitis if they eat high fat dairy products.

Will dogs eat milk if you give it to them? Yes most likely. But trust me, it is not good for them.

• Like 2

We take care for 9 dogs , 2 Rottweilers and the rest are adopted Soi dogs . It was 12 , but 2 have been run over by cars , and 1 died from heartworms after an expensive therapy .

We feed them meat from the local market , chicken and pork , cut to small pieces and boiled in a big pot with mixed vegetables and POTATOES .

They love boiled potatoes and potatoes are good for a dog , much better than rice . ( google ...)

They all get a lot of exercise , and we never have left over food ...

All are in good health , but need to be vaccinated and neutered .

Try meat from the market , chicken may be fed raw , other meat boiled ... and Potatoes .

Your dogs do not want factory food anymore , not healthy ...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I see that one well meaning poster suggested feeding milk. Please don’t feed your dog milk!

Dogs the age of yours are usually lactose intolerant and so GI upsets (diarrhea and flatulence) will almost inevitably occur, usually within 12 hours. More seriously they may also develop pancreatitis if they eat high fat dairy products.

Will dogs eat milk if you give it to them? Yes most likely. But trust me, it is not good for them.

Really? My dogs, a female Husky and her daughter, a mix of a street dog, and Husky, love milk. They only get little milk mixed with rice and they love it. But now after reading your post, I'll have to do my research, thanks for pointing that out! 

ludee, had the same problem in the last half year with our two sheperds. they got a virus from tics. make a blood test. the vet had special medication for that. both were fit in one week. good luck

ps: they get since 11 years every the same food: pork and liver with rice. 50% meat 50% rice. they were always very healthy.....

Edited by jensmann
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

We take care for 9 dogs , 2 Rottweilers and the rest are adopted Soi dogs . It was 12 , but 2 have been run over by cars , and 1 died from heartworms after an expensive therapy .

We feed them meat from the local market , chicken and pork , cut to small pieces and boiled in a big pot with mixed vegetables and POTATOES .

They love boiled potatoes and potatoes are good for a dog , much better than rice . ( google ...)

They all get a lot of exercise , and we never have left over food ...

All are in good health , but need to be vaccinated and neutered .

Try meat from the market , chicken may be fed raw , other meat boiled ... and Potatoes .

Your dogs do not want factory food anymore , not healthy ...

All good, but in case anyone else reading this has an idea to feed potatoes...

Potatoes that are peeled (no skin) and boiled are OK for dogs, but there are a couple of important caveats. First is that uncooked potato, potato skin and leaves are poisonous (contain solanine) and should never be fed to dogs. Second is that you shouldn’t feed very much potato as they can raise blood glucose levels significantly and lead to diabetes in dogs.

FYI, here are the values of 100g of boiled potato vs 100g of boiled brown rice. Brown rice has a better balance than potato for dogs IMO, with more fat, less sodium and about one-third as much sugar.

Brown rice

image.png.81ffe1806977c95f0af5b76948791bba.png

Boiled potato

image.png.482de8256c33584c63b0ef191cc08c17.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

All good, but in case anyone else reading this has an idea to feed potatoes...

Potatoes that are peeled (no skin) and boiled are OK for dogs, but there are a couple of important caveats. First is that uncooked potato, potato skin and leaves are poisonous (contain solanine) and should never be fed to dogs. Second is that you shouldn’t feed very much potato as they can raise blood glucose levels significantly and lead to diabetes in dogs.

FYI, here are the values of 100g of boiled potato vs 100g of boiled brown rice. Brown rice has a better balance than potato for dogs IMO, with more fat, less sodium and about one-third as much sugar.

Brown rice

image.png.81ffe1806977c95f0af5b76948791bba.png

Boiled potato

image.png.482de8256c33584c63b0ef191cc08c17.png

Thanks ,You are right ... potatoes contain vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron, magnesium, and many other nutrients that dogs need , but too many potatoes won't be good .

We always boil them until they become soft , the dogs love them but would never eat a raw potatoe .

sometimes they get rice and sometimes pasta , too ... they eat better than some people here

If you live near the sea , it is good to collect some of those white squid " floaters" that can be found sometimes .

It is pure calcium and good for the bones . Just scrap it off with a spoon and mix ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

Many Thanks to all the replies !!!

Yes, we do the blood test on a regular basis (about every 3 months).  I get my property sprayed for

ticks and insects on a monthly basis (we tend to lock up the poor dogs for that day.  But we do find

ticks once in a while ... so yeah, we will do another run to our regular vet.

One thing I am confused about: Why should I not cook bones?  They tend not to touch raw bones. 

I will start doing the chicken and rice/potato thing ...  we feed them twice a day ...

Yeah, there are no signs of them being sick or unwell. They are very playful and clever (I'm trying to

teach them to say "I Love you", lol  They are getting really close 555)

Again many thanks for all the great advice !!!

luudee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1