What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

55 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Bottom line is LOS must be cheaper or most people would opt for someplace else. I sailed here from Cal in my Ketch taking in most all the pacific before selling my boat last year in Kota Kinabalu. Thought I would try Thailand for awhile and it indeed is cheaper but it is a reach to say it is better. IMHO if you weigh in what you give up living in a 1st world country with a stable government, less corruption, cleaner everything along with things that work and roads that aren't suicide traps then LOS is really no bargain at all. For folks that love it here that's cool but there is no denying that if you could live in Japan, Oz, USA or even Europe for the same money the only ones remaining would be the old bar fine guys and Chinese.

So, you don't think many would stay for the weather and the temples?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

when first in Thailand over 10year ago  i could live on 15k a month easy, but no gf and limited times of funny business.

As you go on and because of boredom, is impossible to go back to the 15k thing once ladies involved.
So yes, Gf's that come and go is obvious dead money but who can be without some action?
you will just be alcoholic if no job, retired and left to your own and Pay to play 

Some guys cant understand what/how/why i waste money on what i do here, but one thing, i never lost on a house or business so i now can live good.
Unlike others that lost 3million on assets then they must go back to mamma noodles and fan appartment and cry into the chang beermug. for them they wasted millions and now worry about every 10baht. rediculous.

I had money all along i could have spend but i did 15k budget every month as far as can tolerate because at the time i know it would help to stay longer.
Its like i explain to Thai gf's..you are rich by putting money INTO bank not wasting on cars and hi lifestyle thinking it will impress others.

Even now i can live in decent appartment around 7k a month and happy to save every month 3-8k to spend on other stuff that make life better, compared to others renting 10-15k/month.

Your base cost is rent. Stay on lowest rent as possible that can still live happy and the budget will follow that.

Some FB adverts you see renting larger appartments in the city at 20k-40k/month.
to me that is just rediculous waste of money unless you working earning 100k/month or only stay short term

I have never wanted to be rent poor.  I learned long ago the best budget is to spend less than you make and invest the difference; and the best way to do that was to have the contract pay expenses. When I worked, the contracts paid for the housing; when I lived in the States, the contracts paid for the houses I bought. Now that I am retired, I spend B8k/mo on rent--yet I have a very nice three-story, 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom row-house in a quiet well-to-do downtown neighborhood. Yet I still manage to spend over six figures monthly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:
8 minutes ago, Naam said:

that whole bunch of places gets rather small when looking at applicable income tax! :whistling:

Many places like the USA it doesn't matter except the few with double taxation. 

i think there is some misunderstanding. i was referring to Thailand with its zero income tax on offshore earnings and claimed that there are not many other countries who offer that advantage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

on the top right corner of the quoted post. there is a small curved arrow, If you click on it it will take you back to the complete quoted  post . with this devise one can bach track a particular conversation.

Thanks for that - I never noticed it. I prefer to include the post one is referring to in the quote, so there's no uncertainty. Here's a tip for you that could help. Highlight a post and reply and click quote... The post and quote will appear in your submission.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

i think there is some misunderstanding. i was referring to Thailand with its zero income tax on offshore earnings and claimed that there are not many other countries who offer that advantage.

Cayman, Brunei and Vanuatu come to mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Bottom line is LOS must be cheaper or most people would opt for someplace else. I sailed here from Cal in my Ketch taking in most all the pacific before selling my boat last year in Kota Kinabalu. Thought I would try Thailand for awhile and it indeed is cheaper but it is a reach to say it is better. IMHO if you weigh in what you give up living in a 1st world country with a stable government, less corruption, cleaner everything along with things that work and roads that aren't suicide traps then LOS is really no bargain at all. For folks that love it here that's cool but there is no denying that if you could live in Japan, Oz, USA or even Europe for the same money the only ones remaining would be the old bar fine guys and Chinese.

Not true. I found life in SoCal very sanitized and bordering on boring. I decided I wanted to retire to the tropics, always wanted to live in the tropics after seeing Africa at seventeen, and Asia at nineteen......it just took a while. Also if I lived in any of the countries you mentioned I wouldn't be living with a beautiful woman at my retired age......maybe an overweight and angry woman, but not funny and sexy, and makes me laugh many times a day. A joy to be with. If I had big big money I might consider living in England in the summer, and Santa Barbara in the winter. But I do not, so I enjoy my later years happy and comfortable.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Psimbo said:

My budget is none of your business but how about reading one of the MANY threads on this subject?

It's been done to death.

Look who’s having a dummy spit today , hold your breath for 10 seconds and then exhale and relax, the member was just asking as he has just moved here, prices go up all the time so past forums do not really mater , that’s if the member even knew about them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

The weather is the biggest draw for me.

Availability of women, cost of living and other countries near-by when I need a break fro LOS (around 3 to 4 times a year). Weather is a consideration but the other two come come ahead. 

No girls (or boyz depending on your thing) and expensive will see 95% of us leave no matter how much dat sun shines.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Naam said:

No, I understood. I can exclude US$ 102K of offshore income but because I am a resident of Brazil I must pay taxes there where most all my income originates. In any case treaties in place preclude me having to pay taxes in both countries on the same income originating in Brazil. 

39 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think your comments have just reinforced mine about staying on the cheap because you have only that much to spend. 

How my post managed to reinforce your view when I did nothing but take exception to it is beyond me. Oh well.

Maybe if you're pushing 80 or 90 years old, the uncertainty about whether social security is going to be there for you, or how your investment portfolio is going to perform in the coming years can be brushed aside, and a 'can't take it with you, might as well spend it while you can' mindset takes hold, but, fortunately, I'm not there yet.

It's a little insulting to keep telling everybody who says they're living below their means in reality just doesn't have the money to spend any more than they do.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I work on solving some of the world's probems -- at least a small sliver component of them -- at the UN/Geneva, the EU Parliament, and the US Congress, through a US registered NGO all whilst sitting at my computer in Isaan ... and I am a pain in the A&&ss to most but not all of them as well.

Noooo. I just can't believe you would be a pain in the A&&SS.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:
1 hour ago, Naam said:

No, I understood. I can exclude US$ 102K of offshore income but because I am a resident of Brazil I must pay taxes there where most all my income originates. In any case treaties in place preclude me having to pay taxes in both countries on the same income originating in Brazil. 

using foreign income exclusion means you are a U.S. citizen working in Brazil which is completely different from the average participant of this forum who lives a retiree live in Thailand. 

35 minutes ago, Naam said:

do you have any idea of the property prices in the Caymans? no beer in Brunei, in Vanuatu they switch of the lights with a hammer.

yes, Cayman is costly the other two - not so

all 3 sport way better beaches than LoS

come to think of it, Luxembourg and Belgium also have fairly good arrangements for overseas earnings