SURVEY: Do we need more control of social media?

Scott

SURVEY: Do we need more control of social media?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been recent reports about the spread of disinformation and fake news stories.   Both Facebook and Twitter have received criticism for handling these situations.   Which of the following best describes your opinion on controls of what can be posted on social media?

For the purpose of the poll, fake stories and disinformation is from what can be considered as a news source.   Expressing an opinion would not be considered as false.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Are you talking about social media or Fox News?

Social Media.   News agencies, such as Fox, do try to fact-check their information.   They, as are other news outlets, can be selective in what they report and what they don't report.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scott said:

News agencies, such as Fox, do try to fact-check their information.   They, as are other news outlets, can be selective in what they report and what they don't report.   

This is where the problem lies as I see it, there is no actual "reporting" anymore, or very little of it, most news comes from "news feeds" Reuters & associated press being the main ones, these media outlets are controlled by very powerful people that have run the media since day one, Rothschilds are very involved, these news-feeds are passed onto the various stations and disseminated by "reporters" & given the angle & twist they want to present to their public, the story often ends up very twisted! Yet this is Not fake news!

"Some" so called fake media is just pointing out this twisting of the truth out, off course they want to Ban this! How dare we question ?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cats4ever said:

Then there are the more devious ones, who are not idiots, but those who know how to push the buttons of the disaffected.

Gee, I wonder who you are referring to.

It's funny were adults I'm sure we can decided what's real whats fake.

Why have someone decide for you.

Next it will be should we have someone decide if your using the bathroom too much.

Or someone checking everytime you buy something 

• Haha 1

Internet along with social medias were born (almost) fully free and should stay in that way.

It took few funny misses when people were learning how to read The Onion or DPRK News account on Twitter, but now people already know.

The same applies to the fake news. There are always few morons, who don't know how apply critical thinking while reading articles. Well, hopefully they learn, after their accidents have been publicly laughed at.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Personally, I don't engage with Facebook or Twitter - havens for narcissists. I don't really want to know what clothes you wore or food you ate today.

I don't use Facebook, but boy you have a wrong idea what Twitter is. 

I guess it depends who you interact with, but mostly it's banter, talking about current events, news feed, politics and sciences. Selfies almost never, food and cat pictures sometimes. Mostly information feed from various sources and various parts of the world.

Misinformation, misleading news, false gossips,lies,devious commences from the people in power be it politics or Financial, unethical unregulated journalism follow these....then it spreads to likes of FB....and newsfeed.... here at Thaivisa is no exception...Read news say 30/ 40 years ago.... reporting was much cleaner, clearer, appropriate language and not malipulated as it is today..and what had changed?....The world has multiplied,with it via the internet altered the meaning of truth and trust!..... literally... event reporting is so inaccurate these days.... just read any breaking news coverage...with in a few hours it is most likely factually inaccurate...a fact these days!

Edited by hashmodha
Additional words
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:

This is where the problem lies as I see it, there is no actual "reporting" anymore, or very little of it, most news comes from "news feeds" Reuters & associated press being the main ones, these media outlets are controlled by very powerful people that have run the media since day one, Rothschilds are very involved, these news-feeds are passed onto the various stations and disseminated by "reporters" & given the angle & twist they want to present to their public, the story often ends up very twisted! Yet this is Not fake news!

"Some" so called fake media is just pointing out this twisting of the truth out, off course they want to Ban this! How dare we question ?

Ah yes, the Rothschilds. What is that a code word for? Mmmmm...

• Like 2

Fake news only brings false debates. Once people are arguing/debating about a lie, they are wasting their own time without even knowing it. A bit like arguing how much the Loch Ness monster weighs!!

I think the zoids that are in charge of all this (probably the governments) should stop looking at how we can ban fake news, we need to see how we control fake people, the ones who choose to be offended by anything and everything because they feel so useless in life yet are pandered to when the tears start flowing - THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG RIGHT NOW pandering to the feeble who represent 0.00001% of the real population, not the electronic population. As soon as these melts are told NO (probably for the 1st times in their lives) they will get bored of secreting crocodile tears and disappear, hey, they might even get a job and start contributing hahaha

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

I don't use Facebook, but boy you have a wrong idea what Twitter is. 

I guess it depends who you interact with, but mostly it's banter, talking about current events, news feed, politics and sciences. Selfies almost never, food and cat pictures sometimes. Mostly information feed from various sources and various parts of the world.

You call what Trump posts an "information feed"? Yeah right.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:

This is where the problem lies as I see it, there is no actual "reporting" anymore, or very little of it, , Rothschilds are very involved, these news-feeds are passed onto the various stations and disseminated by "reporters" & given the angle & twist they want to present to their public, the story often ends up very twisted! Yet this is Not fake news!

"most news comes from "news feeds" Reuters & associated press being the main ones, these media outlets are controlled by very powerful people that have run the media since day one"

Seriously when do you reckon to be day one?

How long do you believe his has been happening?

34 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"most news comes from "news feeds" Reuters & associated press being the main ones, these media outlets are controlled by very powerful people that have run the media since day one"

Seriously when do you reckon to be day one?

How long do you believe his has been happening?

Are you serious, google could be your friend? ? 

Where do you think papers like the Bangkok post get their news, do you imagine they have thousands of reporters? syndicated news maybe?

Source? as i posted.............

Edited by CGW

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Social media is the people talking, people should be able to say whatever they want. What should be banned is international conglomerates having a monopoly on news media.

So is it fox news that holds this monopoly? cnn? who exactly is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Are you serious, google could be your friend? ? 

Where do you think papers like the Bangkok post get their news, do you imagine they have thousands of reporters? syndicated news maybe?

Source? as i posted.............

Sorry I thought I asked a straight forward  question.

Google can give a lot of answers and I use it many times daily/ hourly 

I asked your opinion with hopefully  a link or two if you could provide it.

No problem.