Growing your own hybrids can kill you!!

Hi all,

After posting in various treads about crayfish and Greenhouses and Aquaponic plants I have got a mail from a member in another Forum who offered me some self grown "hybrid" plants which he even gave fantastic names like Solanum Lycopersicum Schlxxxx, Cucumus Schlxxxxx. 

He promised highest yields and that he gave his proud Family name behind the botanical name to claim it as HIS breed.

I asked for the approvals of any agricultural institute which declares them as safe to eat.

He couldn't provide and even didn't know that seeds need to be approved before he can throw them on the market and he replied he is still alive cos he eats his super fruits and that should be approval enough.. 

Just to make sure and as warning: Breeding your own hybrids (and eat them) is like playing Russian roulette.

Buy only seeds that are by agricultural instances/authorities approved.

The reason is the following: (just as example)

Tomatoes are from the Family of the Nightshade plants and may produce atropine. 

Cucumber have been grown over Generations and the defense (and warning for pests) of a cucumber was it's bitterness which has been reduced by professional Farmers. 

When you cross pollinate plants to get a new hybrid you might just oil the hinge of your coffin.

Just one false cross pollination and your next Tomato hybrid could make you crossing the river Jordan with an overdose of atropine as just one generation could bring the Tomato back to its basics.

Or your next cucumber salad tastes a bit more bitter than the one you took out of the Supermarket and before you can tell the doc you puke yourself dry.. 

Its no joke, it needs only ONE generation and your so tasty fruit will kill you with a smile.

Guess why there are so many different stamps and reg numbers on the safe seed packs you can buy for pennies?   

If you think you have made your first hybrid that changes the hunger of the world go to the relevant Authorities and let it check before you want to sell it and if you don't,

avoid to give it your name as it makes it easy for the cops to trace you down.

I really don't want to stop making experiments with Plants as we need modern farmers who give a legacy to the growing population but the population should not just inherit 6 x 2 feet of the earth after the first self grown meal..

hydraides,

its just some basic knowledge I learned as I was a young fellow and helped my aunt and uncle in the summer holidays.

I cross pollinated some tomatoes at my own style in his hermetically closed breeding greenhouse and as my uncle found it out he was not very pleased..

Did you know that you can use a 3 ft tomato plant as a whip without pollination? ?

the seeds used must have all come from somewhere! likely from vegs (edibles) etc bought originally anyways 

by bringing in the 'hybrids' word probably directs one thoughts to someone doing grafting etc 

so... has someone obtained i.e hypothetical example:  a deadly Nightshade, and grafted a tomato leader onto that? 

the only practical hybrid-like experiment that'd scare me, would be if someone drops some seed of an edible mushroom  - under an oak tree

Grafting just assures that you have the true plant you wanted.

That's why orchards produce all the same type apple, peach or whatever you grafted,

or you just graft for the reason that your favorite apple can stand the wet ground grown through with the Mycenae of the mushroom where you live.

Hybrids are done by pollination.

Not only plants, look at the Killer Bee.

Bee keepers wanted a resistant and hard worker Bee and it came out a Bee that is just permanently in a bad mood and will follow you for miles just to give you a good jab.

So are also your plants.

You take a Japanese cucumber and graft it on a Dutch cucumber and you get a higher yield of true Japanese cucumbers.

You cross pollinate them and they might just getting all bitterness back strong enough to kill you. 

Sure, it is very seldom the case but it happens every year.. 

Try to crossbreed your mushrooms and you might not want to sit with a wired smile under the Oak tree,

but thinking only starting off from top of the oak tree can guarantee that you can fly. ?? 

Archived