Thai Labour Law: Royal Decree blows work permits wide open

webfact

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I stand corrected, that is if you right, i admit I am not sure here.

But if that is true, suppose you get a visa based on marriage (i know its called differently), then you would be able to get a WP without having 4 Thais in the company ?

I am not sure now also. Googling indeed says that you need 4 for every 1 work permit. But I've had a WP for 3 years now (renewed every year) and I've never had 4 Thais in my company ?

2 minutes ago, zib said:

I am not sure now also. Googling indeed says that you need 4 for every 1 work permit. But I've had a WP for 3 years now (renewed every year) and I've never had 4 Thais in my company ?

Never mind I found it. If you are on a marriage visa, which I am, only 2 thai staff is required for a WP.

37 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

I hate the junta and loved being teased.  

They gleefully enforced all these awful labor laws, viciously attacked people who were conducting trade with the country and now it is all different today.   It did not seem to go threw the NLA.  It is a good thing, but it seems odd to me.   Think it has to do with timing. 

I agree. It has been proclaimed as a 'Royal Decree'. That is not the way laws are usually or routinely described here in Thailand. It contradicts the whole nationalist, anti-foreigner flavour of the junta over the past months and years, and seems (to me, at least) to come from (be inspired/ prompted by) a highly influential source more familiar with living abroad, living amongst 'foreigners', living perhaps amongst - Germans ....?

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

On the face of it, this seems like very good news and a step in the right direction for common sense. I am keen to see under what circumstances a foreigner may work without a permit. Been too scared to paint the house, just in case.

Yes as always it is vague info that has streamed and trickled down. Could it be that the digital nomads no need not live in fear, as if many of them do anyway lol 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Yes as always it is vague info that has streamed and trickled down. Could it be that the digital nomads no need not live in fear, as if many of them do anyway lol 

Nope, they should still be afraid, be very afraid.

It's one companies translation of the notice, nothing more.

Edited by overherebc

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

On the face of it, this seems like very good news and a step in the right direction for common sense. I am keen to see under what circumstances a foreigner may work without a permit. Been too scared to paint the house, just in case.

Working in the house under instructions from she who must be obeyed has always been allowed 555!

This makes no sense at all in light of recent police and immigration initiatives. Could this be the result of the meeting that the Generals had with President Trump???  It is not consistent with recent Thai policy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Foreigners still need the correct Visa to work though. 

That's the part people are forgetting. The correct visa or extension to support the WP.

Their isn't going to be a 'Buy your WP here' stall just after Imm' at the airports.

Reads to me like they have just tidying up some grey areas possibly to coincide with the EEC project.

1. No longer need a WP to come and attend a meeting or seminar. (Think in practice no one was getting one anyway). Also sales rep who covers multiple countries with a rep office here wouldn’t need a WP.
2. Once you have a WP your duties are no longer specifically what is written on your WP. (Again this probably what was happening anyway). Eg writer would also be able to do some sales work.

I wouldn’t be getting too excited.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Don't get too excited about this  a list of jobs  you will be able to do with out a permit

1.  Lavatory attendant

2  Road sweeper

3  Kitchen washing up

4  helping to paint the new Thai navy submarine and aircraft carrier

?

2 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

Reads to me like they have just tidying up some grey areas possibly to coincide with the EEC project.

1. No longer need a WP to come and attend a meeting or seminar. (Think in practice no one was getting one anyway). Also sales rep who covers multiple countries with a rep office here wouldn’t need a WP.
2. Once you have a WP your duties are no longer specifically what is written on your WP. (Again this probably what was happening anyway). Eg writer would also be able to do some sales work.

I wouldn’t be getting too excited.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Negative Norman. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Don't get to excited, this applies to conducting business meetings, sale exhibitions and such. 

You can now attend a conference without a WP. 

Also professors invited to come to Thailand to teach one course or similar. 

8 hours ago, Eligius said:

I think this is a Royal Decree - straight from the King. But yes - wouldn't it be wonderful if the 90-Day Reporting were done away with. But I dream too much - ha ha!

Most times a "royal decree" comes from either the Army or Government with the sanctioning of the crown.