Less Europeans coming to Thailand than expected in July admit AOT

webfact

Less Europeans coming to Thailand than expected in July admit AOT

sba.jpg

FILE photo

The Airports Authority of Thailand announced figures that showed less tourists using Thai airports than expected in July.

While there was still an increase of 4% on the previous year it was a blip in the trend that has seen an average 9% extra usage per month since the start of the year.

Nitinai Sirisamatkarn, a senior manager at Airports of Thailand Public Co Ltd, was quick to say that the downturn had nothing to do with Chinese people cancelling their holidays.

Many in the tourism sector fear the boat accident in Phuket was affecting tourism.

Nitinai said that the reason was less arrivals of European visitors on long haul routes into Suvarabhumi.

The AOT would discuss the reasons behind this in August, he said.

He was still upbeat saying that it would still be a record breaking year with the October to December high season expected to boost figures.

There are expected to be 135 million users of Thai airports this year.

Since the start of the year there have been 71 million airport users with Suvarnabhumi accounting for 31 million, Don Muang 20 million and Phuket 9 million.

In the last nine months there have been 61.2 million foreigners using Thai airports - a rise of 25.11 per cent Thai TV CHannel 7 quoted Nitinai as saying.

Source: Channel 7

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-31

My head line world be:

Less Europeans coming to Thailand as expected...
(I know thal "less" is grammatically incorrect)

And I do not thing a fine colorfull tracking bracelet will help....

Edited by BEngBKK
extension
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

It's pretty bloody obvious really.

Thailand:

Weather - unpredictable. 

Sea - polluted and dangerous

Flight price - Expensive

Europe (talking about Mediterranean resorts here):

Weather - hot and sunny

Sea - warm and swimmable

Flight - cheap

They're the basics. The only advantage Thailand has at this time of the year is on price of accommodation and food. And it has nothing to do with the Chinese boat disaster!

Not just the price of flights, the overall cost of living in Thailand has risen dramatically over the past few years resulting in Thailand not being such an attractive place to visit in relation to other more attractive & safer neighbouring countries.

• Like 2

Plane tickets are not that expensive these days, there are just a lot of destinations to choose from for a real tourist. Thailand has become expensive, hotel prices are up, food prices are up, beer price is is on the same level as expensive European countries. So the alternatives are getting more favorite. Croatia, Vietnam as new places and the old favorites France and Spain.

Also the conservative junta is spoiling all the fun, no beer bar pretties for dad and no happy pills for the kids on koh Phangan anymore.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

A local GH operator I have know for years says matter of fact'lly; euro tourist numbers have dropped for the last 6 years.  And that was after another drop back in 02/05

This for CM 

If TAT is actually admitting it, likely it is so visible the usual window dressing and eyewash are not working.

Chiang Mai is getting quieter and quieter every year.  Well, the westerner night haunts are. I read the media and yet my own eyes don't back up their claims, at least up north.