A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

This is the rub with democracy...when the majority wants something that is not PC or liberal then somehow it's folly (but doesn't make it wrong). The will of the people might not be conducive to some but if you want majority rule then you have to accept that voting democratically might throw up some unanticipated results...look no further than recent referendums on Scotland and EU membership (not what certain sections were expecting and they are having big issues dealing with the result), not what the elite or liberal left wanted. If you want democracy then you have to be ready to accept majority decisions that you don't like...which is a quality that is being eroded in many western nations. Otherwise, you don't have democracy and have intolerant liberal or right wing fascism and it obviously exists on both sides of the politic spectrum. Right or wrong is a matter of opinion and subjective. Democracy just sorts out how many think each way but doesn't always come up with the "right" answer for everything which is why so many countries struggle with it's concept. 

The threat to democracy these days is that people are losing the ability or willingness to accept other opinion than their own blinkered one...little compromise or middle ground left and it's easy to see. Also, politicians have lost sight of the fact that they are supposed to represent the people that voted for them or their constituents instead of themselves.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Governments take away peoples rights all the time, usually for their own protection.  In this case the Danish government has decided that wearing a burka is unacceptable to the Danish way of life. I applaud them for making a stand.

And I condemn them for taking away their citizens right to choose. 

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Denmark has a law against wearing it so obey the law of the country you picked to live in.

Quoting me out of context. However, as the burka ban has been enacted in Denmark they should comply, but would restrict freedom of movement.I would guess the number of women wearing the burka in Denmark is fairly minimal,  perhaps a better approach would be to ban the wearing in designated areas.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Get real. If tough decisions weren't made for the general good we'd still have people going through windscreens or impaling themselves on steering wheels, or smashing their skulls on the roads. Or do you decide which decisions suit you and ignore the rest?

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Do you support Public nudity?   Under your philosophy- a person can choose to wear clothes or not.

As part of a civilized society- a person has inalienable rights but also responsibilities.  If this issue came up 30 years ago and a person walked around in a burka covering their face- most people would not have cared.

Fast Forward-  Almost 3,000 people killed on 9-11.  Hundreds killed by terrorists in Europe.  Radical groups such as ISIS killing in the name of religion. It has been proven that radical terrorists have dressed in burkas with face coverings to move from place to place .  Until this scourge is wiped out-  no one should be allowed in public to walk around with their face covered.

Terrorists and fundamentalists kill. 

That does not justify taking away the rights of citizens to choose how to dress. 

Such actions, rightly, are viewed as egregious by some.

Worse still such actions play right into the hands of those scum looking for reasons to promote their warped view of the world.  

Just now, giddyup said:

Get real. If tough decisions weren't made for the general good we'd still have people going through windscreens or impaling themselves on steering wheels, or smashing their skulls on the roads. Or do you decide which decisions suit you and ignore the rest?

This decision does nothing for the general good. 

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Quoting me out of context. However, as the burka ban has been enacted in Denmark they should comply, but would restrict freedom of movement.I would guess the number of women wearing the burka in Denmark is fairly minimal,  perhaps a better approach would be to ban the wearing in designated areas.

They have, it's called "in public".

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Usually i can agree with your ideas but here i have to disagree.

I hope you are not trying to say people can and should do whatever they want whenever they want.It is the rsponsibility of a government to make sure every citizen feels safe and can live in peace among other things.For this to be able to happen there have to be rules!

I am quite sure you have rules in your house?Your parents taught you values and also set rules to live by?

I do not believe people should be able to choose if the outcome is dangerous or an inconvenience to others.Do you?

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Usually i can agree with your ideas but here i have to disagree.

I hope you are not trying to say people can and should do whatever they want whenever they want.It is the rsponsibility of a government to make sure every citizen feels safe and can live in peace among other things.For this to be able to happen there have to be rules!

I am quite sure you have rules in your house?Your parents taught you values and also set rules to live by?

I do not believe people should be able to choose if the outcome is dangerous or an inconvenience to others.Do you?

I have said I support these citizens right to protest a law they find egregious. 

I share their concerns. 

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Except maybe stopping mohammed, with a bit of eye make up, getting through a check point as Fatima, with an IED strapped to his back.

It does nothing to prevent terrorism. 

It does help the terrorist scum push their warped agenda. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I have said I support these citizens right to protest a law they find egregious.  

I share their concerns. 

Not good enough,do you agree there need to be rules in a society?

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

BROMANCE!!

R u really interested in me or are you just stringing me along? OR do you not believe me?

Geological surveying and reporting for govt '85-'88.

The world is a much different place to-day from 1985. Especially in regards to militant Muslims. Take a look at what Muslim girls were wearing in the 50’s Cairo. Now a days they wear far more conservative cloths, otherwise they could be attacked and probably sexually assaulted.

My first Muslim experience, Libya the early 60’s.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Not good enough,do you agree there need to be rules in a society?

It may not be good enough for you, but they are the only points I have been making. 

I support the protesters to protest a law their govt has passed taking away their freedom of choice regarding veils. 

15 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

The outcome is easy

If you want to wear a niqab that's ok with us, we will just deport you and you can wear it when you get back to your own country

Your own country where you won't be allowed to work, be an individual, express your views blah blah blah.

Take it off or go home.

2 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

@simple 1the mayority of danes want the veil banned , www.thelocal.dk hence as usual the muslim community tries to fall in the victim role by noisily making trouble. thats what counts the danish people.

wbr

roobaa01

OK I've been to that link, can you point out to me where it says the majority of Danes want the veil banned?

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

They have, it's called "in public".

Back in 2005 the Danes banned the wearing of a burka in schools. Now government has enacted a blanket ban. Given there are only an estimated 200 / 300 women wearing the Burka in Denmark it occurs to me to be excessive and a more flexible solution should have been achieved e.g. ban in government building, designated security zones.

There is no doubt the OP decision is driven by government submission to hard right ideology. If the people believe as non Muslims they are exempt from hard right oppression they are fooling themselves.

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

My mistake, one PC was killed, I believe the other was wounded. Irrelevant as to whether border control was doing their job or not, the fact is he used the burka to escape.

And the fact is, if the allegation is correct, Border Control did not avail themselves of the tools available to them by way of enacted legislation

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Support your local Muslim, wear one of these nd go into some banks, I wonder what the reaction would be?

The ban is about public places, nothing to do with private places like banks.

Please stevenl,  put on a balaclava go into a bank and ask them if they are private like your house or if they are considered a public place? I would like you to tell me the answer after you do that. Also tell me what the reaction is about the balaclava.

Thanks!

Archived