A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

19 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Until this scourge is wiped out-  no one should be allowed in public to walk around with their face covered.

I gues s I just haven't yet seen your postings pointing out the danger and security risks of these guys...

hh.png

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@simple The Danish government is not limiting freedom of movement.

You may be interested to know that in Saudi Arabia, women need written permission from the oldest male in the family to travel.

Or let's say Afghanistan where girls are murdered for travelling to school.

Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:40 AM, ChrisY1 said:

The UK "guests"....that were the religious minority...have now become the religious majority.....the west remain fearful of this group.

Religious majority? Seriously? The UK is 4.5% Muslim, hardly a majority.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

No, but i do know you live in area of Thailand which is mainly Thai Muslim. Tried articulating your hatred to some of your Muslim neighbours - No. thought not mr keyboard warrior.

Much like the moslems (that arrived decades ago) that I met in the uk, the Thai Moslems where I live in Rawai, Phuket are great.  They are part of the community.

A few (possibly the majority? - I haven't cared enough to notice) wear a head covering - but certainly not a burka.

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

@simple The Danish government is not limiting freedom of movement.

Oh OK, so the OP is incorrect and the Danes have not banned the burka

18 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

@simple 1the mayority of danes want the veil banned , www.thelocal.dk hence as usual the muslim community tries to fall in the victim role by noisily making trouble. thats what counts the danish people.

wbr

roobaa01

You linked to the entire newspaper not a specific article. Funnily enough the lead article was one which seemed to support the Muslim women protesting...

https://www.thelocal.dk/20180802/from-one-day-to-another-were-criminals-muslim-women-speak-out-against-denmarks-burqa-ban

13 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

@bristolboy. Your comments on this and other threads consist mainly of one liners and ad hominem attacks. They're not worth serious replies.

To make it easier for you, in terms of public figures that you may have heard of, my position on this is very similar to that of Richard Dawkins - one of the most highly respected scientists, academics and intellectuals, not just in the UK, but in the world.

I am a lifelong liberal and have always resisted illiberalism. Islam is the most illiberal of superstitions in the world today.

Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist. He is not an authority on Islam. He may be a liberal about other matters. That is not proof that you are.

You have yet to produce any evidence that you have read even one book about Islam. As for your personal experience, who knows? You're anonymous here.  I do know people who have lived in Islamic nations. They don't seem to share your caricature view of Islam. But of course you're as free to disbelieve me about that as I am to disbelieve you. Especially since I am providing just as much evidence on that score as you are: namely, none.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, Ks45672 said:

Why not allow 70 million UK people to wear balaclavas in public ..... 

Society has progressed and Muslims will have to conform to the standards of the free world or go back to where they came from

It's not illegal to wear a balaclava but entering a bank or jewelry store might be a mistake.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Much like the moslems (that arrived decades ago) that I met in the uk, the Thai Moslems where I live in Rawai, Phuket are great.  They are part of the community.

A few (possibly the majority? - I haven't cared enough to notice) wear a head covering - but certainly not a burka.

Exactly. The blanket hatred towards all Muslims on this forum is absurd, plus against forum rules. Yes there are  Islamists who commit terrible oppression and atrocities against their fellow Muslims and the rest of the world, focus on them and the push back by me and assumedly by others would cease.

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

To be clear and honest the Danish GOVT disagrees. I have yet to see a pole of the Danish people. If you have one, please share.

The government is elected by the people, if the Danish population disagrees with their governments decision, they can voice their opposition, as with any democracy.

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're wrong, a few wear a burka.

Agree with the rest of your post.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The government is elected by the people, if the Danish population disagrees with their governments decision, they can voice their opposition, as with any democracy.

I don't know what the Danish constitution says, but I doubt Denmark is a pure democracy where a majority of citizen get to decide the rights of a minority.

18 hours ago, jvs said:

Not good enough,do you agree there need to be rules in a society?

Of course.

It is a patently stupid question though.

Bluespunk's point was that citizens are allowed to protest "rules" (which most of us call "laws") which they do not believe in.

You may find it surprising that other Danish citizens protest "rules" as well...

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/80000-citizens-are-protesting-against-a-new-educational-law-by-the-danish-government-2017-1/

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Exactly. The blanket hatred towards all Muslims on this forum is absurd, plus against forum rules. Yes there are  Islamists who commit terrible oppression and atrocities against their fellow Muslims and the rest of the world, focus on them and the push back by me and assumedly by others would cease.

Perhaps we see the burka as a form of oppression.

@Bristolboy

my reference to Dawkins was in response to your comment about scientists. I never suggested that Dawkins is an expert on Islam, though clearly he is far more expert than you.

He is an example of the British liberal intelligentsia which finds Islam illiberal. There are many others of course.

You seem to be driven by dogma, not facts or experience.

People like you do a great disservice to liberal muslims who are under siege both at home and in the UK/Europe.

Just now, simple1 said:

I agree about the "blanket hatred towards all Muslims on this forum" - but this thread is about banning the burka, with which I entirely agree.

Quite apart from anything else, the burka hardly endears those of that faith to the general population....

Just now, My Thai Life said:

@Bristolboy

my reference to Dawkins was in response to your comment about scientists. I never suggested that Dawkins is an expert on Islam, though clearly he is far more expert than you.

He is an example of the British liberal intelligentsia which finds Islam illiberal. There are many others of course.

You seem to be driven by dogma, not facts or experience.

People like you do a great disservice to liberal muslims who are under siege both at home and in the UK/Europe.

So now you concede that there are liberal Muslims? In fact, you haven't a clue about what percentage of the Muslim population in the UK could be identified as Islamist, do you?

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

If you are a citizen of a country then you are not a guest. And god knows what you mean by "change the local people."

Well,  I wouldn't exactly refer to these people as descendants of vikings whereas the "local" people I might.  Hand me down my broadsword.

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The people shouting hardest now due to the security risk will also be the ones who are protesting hardest when they realise authorities can keep an eye on them 24/7 due to privacy concerns.

Which shows this is only about one thing: against Islam.

@ Simple1. I have not expressed any hatred towards muslims.

If I may say so, you are missing the point. Yes, there are liberal muslims. Anyone who reads news from any mainstream source (my major MSM sources are The Guardian and the BBC) knows that these liberal muslims are under threat in their own countries. Many of them are murdered, or live under cover. Others seek refuge in liberal countries like ours.

Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Just now, stevenl said:

You're wrong, a few wear a burka.

Agree with the rest of your post.

You said this before in a reply, but I can only repeat that having lived in the Rawai area for 12 years, I've only seen a burka a couple of times.

Normally I'd put it down to my being unobservant - but a burka stands out like a sore thumb!

wasn't there a case recently of men, dressed in these things, getting past security and blowing up a school?

So does everyone think we should continue to allow the wearing of them or should we be more interested in the safety of our own?

Just now, stevenl said:

The people shouting hardest now due to the security risk will also be the ones who are protesting hardest when they realise authorities can keep an eye on them 24/7 due to privacy concerns.

Which shows this is only about one thing: against Islam.

Not really....

I'm not at all keen about the way it's possible to 'keep track of us 24/7' (reminds me too much of '1984') - but that's an entirely different discussion IMO.

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

The world is a much different place to-day from 1985. Especially in regards to militant Muslims. Take a look at what Muslim girls were wearing in the 50’s Cairo. Now a days they wear far more conservative cloths, otherwise they could be attacked and probably sexually assaulted.

My first Muslim experience, Libya the early 60’s.

You may not have caught the drift in the convo I was having. The other poster was attempting a "gotcha" moment ...

Anyway, what makes you think I am not as aware as you or anyone else as to the changes which have taken place in the ME in the last 3 decades? I live in a rural seaside village - but not on a desert isle!!

My point regarding secular ME of the 20th century was in response to a comment that all Muslims, BY NATURE are violent, radical, extremists. They are not. Many enjoyed a secular lifestyle until the laws in their countries were changed by a newly invigorated and well funded emerging radical, theologically right-wing, fundamentalist sects either being handed power through external "regime change"  or internal military struggles.

Archived