Dizziness and nausea !

Andrew Dwyer

I had a strange occurrence a few days ago which lasted for 3 days until I went to see a doctor and was prescribed medication .

I woke up the first morning, about 7.30 and felt really dizzy, like i was going to faint at any minute, and also nauseous. I told the gf and went back to sleep until around 11.00 am , after which I felt a bit better but still unsteady on my feet.

As the day went on I felt better until about 2pm when I felt perfectly okay and continued that way until I went to bed around 11 pm.

The next morning, and the third day, exactly the same !!, at this point I sought a doctor.

A quick google brought up many answers from, heart condition to dehydration and low blood pressure ( my blood pressure was checked, normal ).

The doctor asked me the usual questions, smoking, drinking, exercise etc ( no, no, a little bit of cycling ) and prescribed medication for:

Nausea

Vestibular vertigo

Acid reduction

and told me if not resolved to check blood for choresterol and blood sugar and see a Neurologist.

Saw the doctor Sunday and seems like the medication worked ( finished yesterday ).

At one point i even thought the air conditioning ( only use in bedroom at nighttime ) was causing the issue !!

Anyone had similar or any thoughts ??

• Like 2

Interesting post this  Many of my farang friends have experienced similar.

My personal remedy is to drink plenty of water (4 litres a day) and a glass of raishi wine before going to bed.

• Like 2

The thing is these symptoms may be associated with a lot of things, occasionally very serious yet mostly transient bugs.  My best guess would have been an ear infection but in the absence of pain then I would say a 24hr virus.  Dehydration might also be a possibility.

But yes, it probably would be best to have the basic medical.

• Like 1

Do you take any supplements?

I've found that the better quality forms/brands of supplements such as optizinc, magnesium glycinate and glutamine make me feel nausea if taken on an empty stomach.  Optizinc in particular has me right on the edge of throwing up while the latter two just have me feeling uncomfortable but with 50% less "potential" to actually throw up. 

• Like 1

Interesting post this  Many of my farang friends have experienced similar.

My personal remedy is to drink plenty of water (4 litres a day) and a glass of raishi wine before going to bed.

I do drink at least 3 litres every day at home, and a bit more with lunch etc.

The thing is these symptoms may be associated with a lot of things, occasionally very serious yet mostly transient bugs.  My best guess would have been an ear infection but in the absence of pain then I would say a 24hr virus.  Dehydration might also be a possibility.

But yes, it probably would be best to have the basic medical.

Yes, inner ear infections cropped up on my Google search.
I asked the doctor of ear problems could be the cause ?, she gave me a “ who is the doctor here ? “ sort of look .
  • Like 1

Blood pressure/lack of exercise/healthy food/drink would be my first thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood pressure, okay.
Exercise, okayish [emoji51], but certainly not overweight .
Healthy food and drink, could be difficult, I try to steer clear of sugar/salt etc and generally eat fruit, bananas, oranges, sum ho , when I can.
  • Like 2

Strangely enough my brother in law had this last week. Usual google search revealed possible suspects, eliminated by GP. Turns out to have been a viral ear infection, now better. Maybe something going around......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, inner ear infections cropped up on my Google search.
I asked the doctor of ear problems could be the cause ?, she gave me a “ who is the doctor here ? “ sort of look .

time for a new doctor?

hope you stay well... 

• Like 1

Do you take any supplements?

I've found that the better quality forms/brands of supplements such as optizinc, magnesium glycinate and glutamine make me feel nausea if taken on an empty stomach.  Optizinc in particular has me right on the edge of throwing up while the latter two just have me feeling uncomfortable but with 50% less "potential" to actually throw up. 

I did take chlorophyll powder ( mixed in water ) for a while upon insistence of a sil to resolve kidney stones issues a month ago ( I know, I know !! ) but gave that up quickly.

Other than a multivitamin everyday for the last 3 years, nothing .

Thing is the Doc asked your age. Without that info pure guessing.Plus your working environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, standard hospital procedure of weight check, temperature and blood pressure before seeing the doc, plus she had all my details in front of her and I told her I am retired over 2 years.

Sounds like vertigo to me. Look on google and watch a video about "Epley Maneuver". Start on left or right side and do the maneuver. If it only helps a little, do it over again, but start on the other side. Give each position 20-40 seconds each. It will help you!

I’ll give it a go , thanks.

I had a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), mini stroike, in 2006 that started just the same way. A year ago I had an uncomfortable pain at the back of my head and didn't immediately go to the hospital as I should have done. An MRI showed a stroke on my brain stem. 2 weeks in hospital, today I walk with a stick dragging my left leg. If I'd gone to hospital earlier I may still be fully mobile today.

Even if you feel better now an MRI would be a good idea.

Footnote: I was in the fitness business for 30 years, unfortunately exercise and a healthy diet isn't a silver bullet.

Sorry to here about your condition.

Thanks for sharing , all advice I take into consideration , and an outcome like yours certainly makes me think more seriously about my symptoms.
  • Like 1

I have had periods of dizziness fits myself and yes, it's very unpleasant. I think we are all susceptible to ear infection from showering etc here in TH. I attended Pattaya Memorial hospital last year and was diagnosed Menier's desease which is ear related. I was given a leaflet outlining exersizes for moving ones head. 

• Like 1

Salt deficiency? We used to have to take salt tablets in the Brit Army in hot climates. Failure to do so was a chargable offence. Saying that, I don't take them here.

Recently had a kidney stone so now I don’t know, too much salt or not enough ? [emoji51]