Dizziness and nausea !

Andrew Dwyer

140/70 is quite normal when we are up and about, and in the doctor's office where nerves may play a part. 100/70 is an optimal BP reading and in slim people it can be 90/60 for instance.

In my experience, the general readings taken in hospitals have to be viewed with some caution, because the old machines may not be calibrated too well.  I was in one such situation where the reading came in at 150/90, but upon immediately switching to the electronic type it was the anticipated 100/70  

If you are taking in excessive water it might be an idea to check for glucose intolerance but an alternative explanation could be an active person in a hot climate. 

If you are drinking a lot of water, and are active, and not taking in salt,  then that would potentially cause an electrolyte imbalance.

I think it was 134/70 when I went to the hospital Sunday but after 10 mins they tested me again with the manual pump ( and stethoscope ) and told me it was normal ( I didn’t actually see the reading or what they wrote down ).

I’ve only started to increase my water intake recently ( after a kidney stone episode a month ago ) although I have a little ongoing project in the garden which is quite manually intense and I did drink a lot of water when undertaking this. I think before this I wasn’t drinking so much water if I wasn’t actually sweating !!
Now I have a large sippy cup (1.2 ltrs ) with me at all times and start the day with about half of that ( good to get the internal organs working, apparently ).
You could be on the right track about the electrolyte imbalance though !! Will search more about the post from JetSetfvr above.

If one thing I have learnt from this thread is :
Our bodies are like a fine tuned engine and over time parts begin to wear and adjustments need to be made.
Whereas in our younger years we could do what we wanted when we wanted now is not the case !!

I am only 57 but I think my younger years of smoking, binge drinking and lack of exercise are now taking their toll. A little bit of cycling and no smoking, no drinking is helping me now but those little adjustments need to be made now in the order of diet and hydration.

It’s surprising how many people on TVF are suffering in the same way , some have diagnosed their symptoms and are treating accordingly others, like myself, are putting a lot of it down to old age !!

Don’t be like me people !!, don’t accept your ailments as the passing of time, change your diet and seek medical help.

NOTE: obviously I’m not trying to preach to people who have posted on this thread as these people have helped me with their experiences !
My message goes out to those who have skipped through this topic thinking, like me, this will never happen to them.

Old age happens to us all !!

REMEMBER: if nothing else, water is your friend HYDRATE !!
( it’s not the be all and end all of medication but it certainly helps and is a great start )

Thanks to all who contributed, sorry for the long winded sermon, but as we all know ( but sometimes forget ) “ we only live once, make the best of it “. [emoji4]

Good morning Andrew,

About this time last year, I got back from Big C and said to the missus "I'm not well. I'm going to bed." Woke up the next morning....really heady and no coordination. Could hardly stand up and my legs wanted to go in all different directions. Wife had to bring a bucket into the bedroom so I could urinate.

With the help of some workman, the tuk tuk driver I got to that private hospital on Rojana Road. Well, after blood tests, Xrays EKGs, Brain Scan etc etc they could find nothing wrong with me except low blood pressure.

They put it down to an inner ear infection and gave me some tablets + Vitamin B complex and sent me home.. I couldn't walk properly and the tuk tuk driver had to help me upstairs into our house.

I don't know to this day what was wrong but it took me nearly a week to feel proper again.

Never had it again...could have been just bug a I caught.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think you mean orthostatic (or postural) hypotension? 

Especially likely if  dehydrated or taking antihypertensive medication

not uncommon in elderly with those aging baroreceptors

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Good morning Andrew,

About this time last year, I got back from Big C and said to the missus "I'm not well. I'm going to bed." Woke up the next morning....really heady and no coordination. Could hardly stand up and my legs wanted to go in all different directions. Wife had to bring a bucket into the bedroom so I could urinate.

With the help of some workman, the tuk tuk driver I got to that private hospital on Rojana Road. Well, after blood tests, Xrays EKGs, Brain Scan etc etc they could find nothing wrong with me except low blood pressure.

They put it down to an inner ear infection and gave me some tablets + Vitamin B complex and sent me home.. I couldn't walk properly and the tuk tuk driver had to help me upstairs into our house.

I don't know to this day what was wrong but it took me nearly a week to feel proper again.

Never had it again...could have been just bug a I caught.

Good morning Newatthis,

Glad to hear you resolved your problem, albeit not actually discovering the cause, and not had a repeat .

I use the Rajthanee public hospital ( opposite the Sky Mall ) and found them to be good after treating me for a dog bite and kidney stone, apparently a lot better than Ayutthaya Hospital downtown. It’s handy for me as I live behind Big C.

Of course i did get a doctor who was a bit “ stroppy “ but I know there are more doctors available who are more understanding.

I’ve been in Ayutthaya a year now so probably time for me to find a better hospital with a more personal touch !

I had it bad for 3 days, early morning, but since going on the medication after 2 days it reduced and now I’m back to normal and finished the medication, although i do need to do a thorough check up.

The same thing happened to me last October. The problem continued through to May this year but recently only occasional but slight feelings of giddiness.

The dizziness came out of owhere, really, one late afternoon. Unsteady on my feet , profuse sweating and feeling nauseus. I managed to get back home before I vomited, after which I slept for a while. It re-occured a week later, at 9am.

I too saw my doctor - blood test and some pills but he told me that my age was a factor, that the calcium build up in the tiny, but narrow canals in the ears was likely to discharge tiny particles that caused  -as he explained - vertigo. I am 73.

I have always had a minor problem with my ears, though. Out of 26 years in the British Navy, 9 of them were at sea in small frigates mainly, I always suffered from seasickness. thereafter, in my forties and since, I became slightly dizzy on numerous occasions which I managed to overcome by eating a banana a day, providing amomgst other things - Potassium.

A chat with my sister in UK gave me another idea - she too suffered a similar attack - but in her case it was a one-off thing which her doctor attributed to a common sympton - but the name escapes me, sorry.

I went on YouTube and watched/dry practiced, a method designed to control the dizziness - called the "McVey" method. It is worth trying. And I now know what to do if another serious attack came.

I tried most things but I also discovered in Phuket this last May after two serious bout, one at 2am and the other while swimming in the sea. I linked it to dehydration - and I recalled that I tended to suffer after drinking an unusual amount of beer/whiskey, but not drinking water before sleep. As a younger man this was no problem.

Since the incidents in May, I am extremely careful of how much water I drink. I keep water by my bedside. If I get up - I take a few sips. I regularly drink the rehydrate powders available at 5 Baht each from the pharmacy. I drink plenty of water after consumng alcohol and after I have been exercising on my treadmill. I also drink a glass of water when I get up in the morning.

I too worried that it might be something more serious,,  brain tumour/deafness etc., but after doing my homework, I now only get a very, very minor feeling if dizziness, usually when I have been looking too closely at my computer screen screen or reading my Kindle.

Oh. And my doctor recommended a cut in my rice intake, (one small helping of steamedwhite rice - something like 8 spoonfuls of sugar - potatoes the same) I don't eat rice at all now, just fill up with the main dishes. and to control my alcohol intake! Shit!

I'm now just more careful and aware of the problem and I use my head instead of ignoring my body as I did as a younger man.

Hope this is of some help to you. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I said in my recent post 'McVey' - its 'Epley' I think.

By the way, my blood pressure OK, I don't smoke, I drink moderately, very occasionally not so moderately. I am not overweight and I exercise very regularly. 

Just adds to your list of possibles..

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned in preceding posts but maybe this is just a simple case of too much sun? Especially at this time of the year with the part cloudy skies it is easy to go outdoors for a few hours with no head protection. It has happened to me several times this year already. Slight inability to balance (not quite dizziness) and slight nausea. Takes a few days to recover, but maybe even longer for extreme exposure.

OP, you mention initially you do a bit cycling. Maybe you have a touch of sun-stroke?

• Like 1

Sorry, I said in my recent post 'McVey' - its 'Epley' I think.

By the way, my blood pressure OK, I don't smoke, I drink moderately, very occasionally not so moderately. I am not overweight and I exercise very regularly. 

Just adds to your list of possibles..

Yes , Epley Manouvre, on YouTube, only takes a few minutes.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in preceding posts but maybe this is just a simple case of too much sun? Especially at this time of the year with the part cloudy skies it is easy to go outdoors for a few hours with no head protection. It has happened to me several times this year already. Slight inability to balance (not quite dizziness) and slight nausea. Takes a few days to recover, but maybe even longer for extreme exposure.

OP, you mention initially you do a bit cycling. Maybe you have a touch of sun-stroke?

I’ve been foregoing my cycling recently for some work in the garden which i can only do up until 9.00 am and after 5.30 pm when the garden is in shade. Usually I avoid the sun or wear a cap as my natural protection is much reduced now ( okay, I’m bald !!, happy now ? [emoji3]).
So I don’t think sun stroke is the problem but thanks for your input.

Incidentally, many many years ago when i was maybe 12 we went on a family holiday to Switzerland , staying with a friend of my father.
My father drove ( we stopped off on the way, had a tent in tow ) and due to the long journey we left him relaxing in the garden on the first day while we went sightseeing.
Upon returning we found him asleep in the garden, red like a lobster !! , during the night he got up to go to the bathroom and felt like he was on a boat [emoji4], couldn’t walk straight and took 3 days to recover.

Since then I’ve avoided too much sun [emoji51]

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems to be a lot more symptoms involved with anemia, none of which I have.
But, I do appreciate your post, thanks.

Fine all the best but....

Anemia affects an estimated 24.8 percent of the world's population.

Anemia happens when there is a decreased number of circulating red blood cells in the body.

It is the most common blood disorder in the general population.

Symptoms may include one or more of the following symptoms: headaches, chest pains, pale skin, fast or irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, headache, light-headedness and hypertension.

• Like 1

Here's something I posted recently about my wife's experiences.

"Just a couple of questions from the ENT and a one minute of manipulation therapy and my wife got the diagnosis - BPPV (google it: interesting though hard to explain, not uncommon it seems, and very easy to treat).

One med was STUGERON 25 mg, 10 tabs, 1 tab every 8 hours when dizzy, the other was SERC 16mg, 14 tabs, 1 tab after breakfast and dinner.  She needed only a single Stugeron and was rapidly dizzy-free; she completed the week's Serc pills."

The tales of some others sound similar. A giveaway for the ENT was her dizziness on one side only, just one eye. I later found out I could have done the ENT's Epley thingy if I had known.

Edited by NewGuy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good morning Newatthis,

Glad to hear you resolved your problem, albeit not actually discovering the cause, and not had a repeat .

I use the Rajthanee public hospital ( opposite the Sky Mall ) and found them to be good after treating me for a dog bite and kidney stone, apparently a lot better than Ayutthaya Hospital downtown. It’s handy for me as I live behind Big C.

Of course i did get a doctor who was a bit “ stroppy “ but I know there are more doctors available who are more understanding.

I’ve been in Ayutthaya a year now so probably time for me to find a better hospital with a more personal touch !

I had it bad for 3 days, early morning, but since going on the medication after 2 days it reduced and now I’m back to normal and finished the medication, although i do need to do a thorough check up.

There is another private hospital..Peeravash Hospital. I think it's on Asia Highway...I'm not sure. Here's a reference to it.

http://peravech.com/

• Like 1

Menieres disease =  constant ringing, continuous whirling sounds, loud noises and low frequency sounds are intolerable, feels like the ear is full of wax but isn't, not counting the virtego and balance issues.  My eardrum is completely black.  The other eardrum has a few black spots so I am fanatically careful of what I eat.  But my Meneries disease is full blown with no hearing except for those troublesome noises that get amplified.  I wear an earplug to keep those noise from hurting and driving me crazy.  There is no test.  It is a matter of your doctor ruling out other causes with similar symptoms like a tumor in the inner ear canal (MRI).  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Tim, I didn’t realise that the symptoms were so severe regarding the noise and hearing loss ?

I have no reason to believe that my problem was ear related other than many posters mentioned Menieres and BPPV unless of course my problem is related but not so severe.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I hope you find relief for your problem soon.

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Tim, I didn’t realise that the symptoms were so severe regarding the noise and hearing loss ?

I have no reason to believe that my problem was ear related other than many posters mentioned Menieres and BPPV unless of course my problem is related but not so severe.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I hope you find relief for your problem soon.

Yes, mine is a  severe stage but the disease does sneak up on you in many cases with the attacks as you discribe just starting with vertigo and balance issues alone.   I hope your problem is something else.  Don't rule out an inner ear tumor if you symptoms repeat through the years or worsen.  The key to identifying Menieres is the ear feels full of wax but the ear stops producing wax, plus blackening of the eardrum.  I hope you find the root cause of your symptoms and that it is easily treatable.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like labyrinthitis.

It is easily fixed with the epley manouver.

Search you tube.

It is misplaced balance crystals in the eardrum.

Can be very debilitating until you fix it.

Often caused by using vibrating machinery.

• Like 1