Dizziness and nausea !

Andrew Dwyer

First,  if possible get a checkup in your home country.

If this is happening in Thailand,  and let us get this cleared you are asking a question to non-professionals so here is my guess with the rest.

I drink lots of water more than 3 liters for sure. I down it all day long even so recently do work inside and outside in the heat and had your symptoms. I was thinking maybe starting to get high blood pressure went to clinic results 139/ 70  told me normal I thought get real?

I did a research and indication although I drank a lot of water it wasn't enough still?  Also had my blood pressure check a number of times during the day and if was coming up 110/65 even 100/70 which is too low so more water and noticed I felt much better. 

As for imbalance in the ear,  it is called menes disease, sorry for the spelling.  My mother had it if severe you wouldn't even be able to get up for a few days.  You can have surgery or take a regiment of sea sickness pills. To control, you can change your diet, the causes are high sodium, caffeine, alcohol! 

good luck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sorry to here about your condition.

Thanks for sharing , all advice I take into consideration , and an outcome like yours certainly makes me think more seriously about my symptoms.

Lots of experienced fellas on this site but not too many retired doctors? My brother is a physio and he says often that Google is his biggest headache from parents who have "just read this on the net....". Do go and see a real professional, Singapore perhaps? Doctors in TL are OK, I live in Cambodia now and fortunately can go to a Japanese hospital with Japanese doctors who are very good. The doctor in BKK prescribed too many meds for my Type 2 diabetes and not enough for my heart condition. Food for thought.

• Like 1

If this is happening in Thailand,  and let us get this cleared you are asking a question to non-professionals so here is my guess with the rest.
I drink lots of water more than 3 liters for sure. I down it all day long even so recently do work inside and outside in the heat and had your symptoms. I was thinking maybe starting to get high blood pressure went to clinic results 139/ 70  told me normal I thought get real?
I did a research and indication although I drank a lot of water it wasn't enough still?  Also had my blood pressure check a number of times during the day and if was coming up 110/65 even 100/70 which is too low so more water and noticed I felt much better. 
As for imbalance in the ear,  it is called menes disease, sorry for the spelling.  My mother had it if severe you wouldn't even be able to get up for a few days.  You can have surgery or take a regiment of sea sickness pills. To control, you can change your diet, the causes are high sodium, caffeine, alcohol! 

good luck

Thanks,
Ménière Disease, seems to becoming more common as this thread expands.

No alcohol for me except the odd glass of Jack Soda ( still have half a bottle I bought year and a half ago ).
Caffeine: drink a cup of breakfast tea in a morning and a cup of jasmine tea in an evening, since I’ve increased my water intake I don’t always drink tea in evening.
High sodium: more difficult to control as I do eat street food often from local market, but my gf is going to cook more at home ( or so she says ).

Thanks for your input.

Totally agree.....You sound unsure about your doctors opinion so that would be enough for me to get a second opinion......especially in this country.

Yes, seems like the way to go.

Armed with a few suggestions from posters on here might help, unless I get another doctor who is more concerned about losing face than helping people !.

Your doctor sounds incompetent to not take this seriously. You had better get your heart thoroughly checked. What you're describing sounds like precursors to a heart attack. The symptoms are not always like on TV: chest pains, etc. They can be exactly as you describe. Rule out heart immediately, to remove the possibility of a catastrophic event waiting to happen. 

The guy who mentioned stroke is also on the money. Rule out these two possibilities as if your life depends on it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like BPPV ( or Ménière’s disease ) are quite common.
Found some videos on YouTube showing the procedure for Epley Manoeuvre which I should be able to try without too much trouble.

Worked for me.

i had the exact same problem 10+ yrs ago. Just woke up with it 1 morning. Did the maneuver a few times, to my suprise worked like a charm.  Never had another problem with it, touch wood.

• Like 1

BPPV is quite possible (and common as one gets older) but also somewhat a diagnosis of exclusion. As there are many other conditions that can cause this, some of them serious.

If you have not had a thorough physical checkup in the past year or so I suggest you get one, all the hospitals offer packages.

Also next time this occurs feel your pulse for a full minute to check both the rate and whether it is regular or irregular, any skipped beats etc.

• Like 2

BPPV is quite possible (and common as one gets older) but also somewhat a diagnosis of exclusion. As there are many other conditions that can cause this, some of them serious.

If you have not had a thorough physical checkup in the past year or so I suggest you get one, all the hospitals offer packages.

Also next time this occurs feel your pulse for a full minute to check both the rate and whether it is regular or irregular, any skipped beats etc.

Thanks Sheryl, i respect your opinion and will do just that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, atyclb said:

U should also check for prehistoric hypotension. Very easy test.

I think you mean orthostatic (or postural) hypotension? 

Especially likely if  dehydrated or taking antihypertensive medication

• Haha 1

Interesting, i did take a 5 day course of Diuretics ( anti hypertensive) medication for kidney stones from aprox July 6 to July 11 .

Your symptoms sound exactly like the ones I experience when I am becoming dehydrated and was even hospita;ozed last year when I passed out and collapsed at the mall and was taken to the emergency room and put in the ICU where they pumped 10 of those bags os saline into me. I am usually very busy and dont always think to hydrate until I start feeling the symptoms and then remember to start guzzling water and they go away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

55 depends on age of op.

Auto spell on mobile lol

• Like 1

As a certified nutritionist, I think what you should consider is taking 400 mg Magnesium daily.  Not just any Magnesium supplement but Magnesium Threonate. It has the best absorption rate out of them all making it worth the couple extra bucks.  80% of the population is deficient.  If you have a difficult time with brain fog and memory and an inability to focus,  all the more reason why you should get this and use it daily.  Symptoms will diminish within a week. Link:  Symptoms of Mag deficiency

Edited by JetSetFvr
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

I have had periods of dizziness fits myself and yes, it's very unpleasant. I think we are all susceptible to ear infection from showering etc here in TH. I attended Pattaya Memorial hospital last year and was diagnosed Menier's desease which is ear related. I was given a leaflet outlining exersizes for moving ones head. 

I have full blown Menieres disease . I feel for you, there is no cure.  My ENT doctor has the same disease so I am getting the best care possible.  Combination of restricted diet and medication.  Fully black eardrum.

Does the OP have Tinitis (ringing in the ear?)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks,
Ménière Disease, seems to becoming more common as this thread expands.

No alcohol for me except the odd glass of Jack Soda ( still have half a bottle I bought year and a half ago ).
Caffeine: drink a cup of breakfast tea in a morning and a cup of jasmine tea in an evening, since I’ve increased my water intake I don’t always drink tea in evening.
High sodium: more difficult to control as I do eat street food often from local market, but my gf is going to cook more at home ( or so she says ).

Thanks for your input.

If your GF is Thai,  a tough nut to crack since they like to use lots fish sauce, soy, and the topper MSG.

• Like 1

I suffer from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) or at least I think that is what it is...

Seems to come on more after a long haul flight, maybe due to the pressure changes in the aircraft.

I relieve the symptoms but doing an home treatment called the Eply maneuver. It works for me...

Crystals get dislodged and travel into your ear canal, which affects the balance mechanisms.  This maneuver is designed to slowly allow the crystals to travel back to where they should be.

Google it, apparently it is more common than you would expect.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

good luck

140/70 is quite normal when we are up and about, and in the doctor's office where nerves may play a part. 100/70 is an optimal BP reading and in slim people it can be 90/60 for instance.

In my experience, the general readings taken in hospitals have to be viewed with some caution, because the old machines may not be calibrated too well.  I was in one such situation where the reading came in at 150/90, but upon immediately switching to the electronic type it was the anticipated 100/70  

If you are taking in excessive water it might be an idea to check for glucose intolerance but an alternative explanation could be an active person in a hot climate. 

If you are drinking a lot of water, and are active, and not taking in salt,  then that would potentially cause an electrolyte imbalance.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

I have full blown Menieres disease . I feel for you, there is no cure.  My ENT doctor has the same disease so I am getting the best care possible.  Combination of restricted diet and medication.  Fully black eardrum.

Does the OP have Tinitis (ringing in the ear?)

No tinitis, so I am a little sceptical that my issue is ear related.
Although, Ménière’s disease seems common it could be my symptoms are caused by other problems.
How do I find out if it is Ménière’s disease that I have ??

I suffer from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) or at least I think that is what it is...
Seems to come on more after a long haul flight, maybe due to the pressure changes in the aircraft.
I relieve the symptoms but doing an home treatment called the Eply maneuver. It works for me...
Crystals get dislodged and travel into your ear canal, which affects the balance mechanisms.  This maneuver is designed to slowly allow the crystals to travel back to where they should be.

Google it, apparently it is more common than you would expect.

Thanks Carlos, yes there was a post earlier on which pointed to Epley Manoeuvre and I found some videos on YouTube explaining the treatment, I actually experimented with this last night and this morning woke up fine, although I am just finishing the medication today so no guarantee.

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Carlos, yes there was a post earlier on which pointed to Epley Manoeuvre and I found some videos on YouTube explaining the treatment, I actually experimented with this last night and this morning woke up fine, although I am just finishing the medication today so no guarantee.

I thought it might have been mentioned but couldn't be bothered to read through the whole thread ?

It really does work, it that is what you have.

Doing it slowly and precisely is the key..

• Like 1