georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

I'd reply no I don't like you. 

Followed by

Do you like me? Am I hansum man? 

Yes! 

Great, why don't you buy me one! 

And watch them walk away in utter confusion 

Lol!   ? I actually did that some years ago in Pattaya. (And will do it again if the mood strikes)

The lady in question was actually a freelancer friend of the bar owner and was also bright enough to realise she'd been rumbled and laughed. Turns out she spoke fairly good English, and we did actually chat, I did actually buy her several beers (not lady drinks!) and I did actually buy her breakfast next morning!

Sometimes.....just sometimes.......?

But as for the real topic  of this thread....if I go into a bar and don't like being hassled, a firm Mai Ow Khrap the first time, and the second time Checkbin Khrap, and no tip!

No need to overthink it really!

Edited by VBF

3 hours ago, krabi local said:

I know it’s their job to push the drinks and asking doesn’t bother me that much.

What does really irritate me is if they pick up my bottle and shake it to see if there is any left.

Their job to push, put on them by their managers / owners.

Great way to promote your business and get customers to come in, spend and stay longer. NOT!!

No wonder bars nowadays are only 10% full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I have been in SEA for over 50 years and in Thailand over that entire time, I have had many drink  maidens come up to ask if I wanted another; I have never had to get mad to make them go away. Sorry if you have a problem.

exactly!

• Like 2

George, no offense, but if you have nightmares about the girls asking you if you want another beer; you've got more than nightmares. I also can't imagine someone actually taking the beer out of your  hand to see if it is empty. Are you sure you're not just frequenting tourist traps and sitting longer than most sipping on that beer? Not that doing so is not your choice, but to have them come up to you so often and so aggressively in so many places is just beyond my experiences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Even worse than the girl asking if you want another drink is the persistent girl saying "You buy me drink !" when you have been in the bar for 5 minutes and had one sip from your bottle !  "You buy  for my friend too" " Why ?" You no like me ?"  Only one reply.......<deleted>  off !  Finish beer and leave.  Find a nice bar and stay there.

This sounds just like some of my 'cheap charlie' friends..................

I quote you....... in the bar for 5 minutes and had one sip from your bottle......

I ask you........ One sip every 5 minutes....... 4 hours later (after trying to 'touch-up every girl) you plan to pay your 90 baht bar tab and leave (likely without even a tip)....... LOL...

I'm not criticising JAIYEN but using his post to make a point....... Which is to point out that the OP has probably 'worn-out' his welcome......... They probably know 'him' by now and lost all their tolerance for him....... WE haven't heard the BAR's side of the story so how can we form an opinion??????????????

I have a few of my 'farang' friends who are 'cheap charlies' and try to justify their similar complaints..........

THE BOTTOM LINE IS :  Bars as in all businesses are 'still open' only when they are making money....... If you are not 'Paying you way' then they aren't going out of their way to 'please' YOU..........     (THEY TRY TO DISCOURAGE 'cheap charlies').........

Simply my personal opinion, but...... after 35 years of observing.......

If you can't afford to pay the bus-fare........ Then walk........... (an old addage)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some bars are happy others misreable you just move on to the ones that treat cusomers as people and smile at you and they usually busy. Function of intelligence. Sexy ladies and great smiles . Easy. Its a free market for tourists and expats alike. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

I'd reply no I don't like you. 

Followed by

Do you like me? Am I hansum man? 

Yes! 

Great, why don't you buy me one! 

And watch them walk away in utter confusion 

All I can say............ IS...... 'You have a great way of 'shooting your own foot'.......

You don't seem to have a 'clue' as to WHY those girls are in those bars doing what they are doing........ I know you don't care but I will try to help 'enlighten You'.........

#1 This is Thailand (Think: - Poverty)

#2  These girls came from Poverty and got very little schooling.... Even 7-11 don't want them...... But a neighbor girl tells them "come work in Pattaya (or Phukhet) and make big money" (EVEN MORE than 7-11)

#3  These bars and girls are there to make money in a 'Povertish' country (Thailand) and have a number of customers daily who benefit them by spending money and paying for their pleasures ------ BUT then they have a few customers (cheap Charlies) daily who come in and want the same 'Great' treatment as those 'spenders' who will pay for their pleasures.........

IT MAY TAKE SOME FOLKS LONGER TO 'GET THE PICTURE'...... but work on it and soon you will have the clear picture............

A good example might be:  Buy the chepest airplane ticket and then try to 'sneak' up into a 'FIRST CLASS' seat............ ( I know a lot of these farangs in Thailand ---- Taking advantage of Thailands 'poverty')..................

BUT...... as they say around the BARs......... "UP TO YOU".........

7 hours ago, VBF said:

Lol!   ? I actually did that some years ago in Pattaya. (And will do it again if the mood strikes)

The lady in question was actually a freelancer friend of the bar owner and was also bright enough to realise she'd been rumbled and laughed. Turns out she spoke fairly good English, and we did actually chat, I did actually buy her several beers (not lady drinks!) and I did actually buy her breakfast next morning!

Sometimes.....just sometimes.......?

But as for the real topic  of this thread....if I go into a bar and don't like being hassled, a firm Mai Ow Khrap the first time, and the second time Checkbin Khrap, and no tip!

No need to overthink it really!

For all the 'cheap Charlies' and when ".if I go into a bar and don't like being hassled, a firm Mai Ow Khrap the first time, and the second time Checkbin Khrap, and no tip!" ........

The bar won't miss you at all............ BUT I don't think this will happen to a guy normally until the Bar gets to know a 'cheap Charlie' custome after a while......

54 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

All I can say............ IS...... 'You have a great way of 'shooting your own foot'.......

You don't seem to have a 'clue' as to WHY those girls are in those bars doing what they are doing........ I know you don't care but I will try to help 'enlighten You'.........

#2  These girls came from Poverty and got very little schooling.... Even 7-11 don't want them...... But a neighbor girl tells them "come work in Pattaya (or Phukhet) and make big money" (EVEN MORE than 7-11)

#3  These bars and girls are there to make money in a 'Povertish' country (Thailand) and have a number of customers daily who benefit them by spending money and paying for their pleasures ------ BUT then they have a few customers (cheap Charlies) daily who come in and want the same 'Great' treatment as those 'spenders' who will pay for their pleasures.........

IT MAY TAKE SOME FOLKS LONGER TO 'GET THE PICTURE'...... but work on it and soon you will have the clear picture............

A good example might be:  Buy the chepest airplane ticket and then try to 'sneak' up into a 'FIRST CLASS' seat............ ( I know a lot of these farangs in Thailand ---- Taking advantage of Thailands 'poverty')..................

Its not the girls making money from your drinks its the beer bar owner,unless of course you buy the girl a drink.

So if i owned a sports bar and you came in and bought a drink that profit goes to me not my staff,unless you bought them a drink in which they get a commission so i cannot understand your relevance to thai girls and getting out of poverty by buying more drinks in a sports bar,....but as the  bar owner you would be helping me “get out of poverty” by buying more of MY drinks, good to know theres guys like you around to help out bar owners.

Edited by georgegeorgia

49 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Customers don't care whether the girl/manager/owner/land owner/the pope is making the money. 

Shit service is shit service 

Edited by hellohello123
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would anyone enter a bar full of prostitutes, if they didn't want to play with the girls?

Plenty of bars full of men to drink in.

I do all my drinking at home now, nobody pestering me, and the beer costs half the price.

Always thought drinking was like sex; you know, both are better with someone else.

• Haha 1

In the old days, when I looked like Tom Cruise, I thaught that my Thai female dentist, my Thai female doctor, my Thai female accountant came on to me as a bit "pushy".
These days (117 years later), I feel privileged if a member of the female bar-staff "shakes my bottle", having developped "pushiness" to a form of art.
To deflect overboarding "pushiness" at the bar, offering after-hour delights, is likely to stifle regular "3 minute bottle-shaking" by staff at the bar.
Not claiming that any sort of "shaking the bottle" in a hotel room would turn out as a bargain, compared to "bottle-shaking" at the bar, mind you.

Main thing: 500 years from now, absolutely nobody will care what we did (or not did) in Pattaya or Eastern Timbuktu.
Cheers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smotherb said:

I have been in SEA for over 50 years and in Thailand over that entire time, I have had many drink  maidens come up to ask if I wanted another; I have never had to get mad to make them go away. Sorry if you have a problem.

that works for you, you may be a big guy or whatever, but it does not mean i have a problem if they keep nagging me

if i refuse with a firm no, they can ask me politely to leave the bar if im not drinking enough

like someone said above continued haggling, shaking bottles etc is bs. 

Edited by Dick Crank

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am staggered by the miseries now visiting Thailand, you go to a bar to be left alone......good grief what are you doing here?

I've been to a few high end "normal" bars and they never shake the bottle. In fact only 50/50 do they offer another one. 

5 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

that works for you, you may be a big guy or whatever, but it does not mean i have a problem if they keep nagging me

if i refuse with a firm no, they can ask me politely to leave the bar if im not drinking enough

like someone said above continued haggling, shaking bottles etc is bs. 

As I said, sorry if you have a problem with it. Sitting around not drinking is bs too; that may be the reason they hassle you. I drink enough, so maybe that is why they don't bother me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

As I said, sorry if you have a problem with it. Sitting around not drinking is bs too; that may be the reason they hassle you. I drink enough, so maybe that is why they don't bother me.

“ I drink enough” .........we know you do !!

I normally only have one beer inside a bar. If it happens to me I say politely No, but if the girl are pushy I shout F.... off and by some kind of magic they leave me alone, works every time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

I normally only have one beer inside a bar. If it happens to me I say politely No, but if the girl are pushy I shout F.... off and by some kind of magic they leave me alone, works every time.

Classy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Its not the girls making money from your drinks its the beer bar owner,unless of course you buy the girl a drink.

So if i owned a sports bar and you came in and bought a drink that profit goes to me not my staff,unless you bought them a drink in which they get a commission so i cannot understand your relevance to thai girls and getting out of poverty by buying more drinks in a sports bar,....but as the  bar owner you would be helping me “get out of poverty” by buying more of MY drinks, good to know theres guys like you around to help out bar owners.

I will reply to you so you can think more about what you are saying...

1.  Its not the girls making money from your drinks its the beer bar owner,unless of course you buy the girl a drink. My reply: Wouldn't you think that 'already' understood by any customer?????? Yes, the bar and owner is making the profit..... How else will he stay open to offer a job to the girls and pay their salary if he doesn't make a profit????? YES... The bar makes a profit (But the girls benefit as well)...... 7-11 sells the same drinks cheaper... Are you thinking that 7-11 is NOT making a profit????? The OP maybe should buy his beer cheaper at 7-11 and sit on their front steps and drink it (as I've seen a few farangs doing)........

2.  So if i owned a sports bar and you came in and bought a drink that profit goes to me not my staff ----- My reply: ARE YOU SURE?????  Think again......... where are the gitls salaries coming from in your estimation???????

3.   good to know theres guys like you around to help out bar owners....... Seems there  a large number of US around..... Look at all the Bars that are open and have girls there for the guys who want a girls company....... If you are in a lady Bar and paying too much that you feel you need to make your drink last 'an hour' and don't have enough to tip and are having your drink checked every couple minutes...... I suspect the bar knows you (or at least knows 'your kind') and are giving YOU a hint that THEY DON'T NEED YOUR KIND.

I must admit that there are some really 'Bad Bars' and are too 'pushy'........ BUT in retrospect you must face a fact that there SO MANY MORE cheap ass farangs trying to have pleasures without paying (Trying to get a free ride, if not a 'senior discount')..... So many more than the Bad Bars.......

The OP received this BAD SERVICE in 3 different Bars......... Doesn't that suggest something to YOU...... It DOES to ME.........

It's MY opinion (and possibly others) that girls are in lady bars for a reason and do have an attraction to some who will spend their money...... If it doesn't fit your requirements then you can sit in a restraunt, or on the steps of a 7-11..... which ever fits your needs (or that you can afford to pay for)...... Many of these bars are tired of giving 'free rides' may be a decent summary of the OP............

And one Last comment..... We only heard the OP's side of the story.... NOT THE (3) BAR's SIDE of the story Think a bit more, if you will......

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, smotherb said:

That is probably exactly what they are doing and you are to 'dense' to figure it out....

Edited to add that this was quoted from a 'Dick Crank' posting.... Not from smotherb as this post shows it to be....

Edited by sawadeeken