Blood type O, Rh Negative

AYJAYDEE

There is a real shortage of this type of blood in Thailand as its a rare type in Asia. Does Thai Visa have a list of members that have this type and if not, would it be possible to start one? I notice that there are emergency calls for this blood fairly regularly and a donor list might save lives. A simple list of name, location and periods of availability would be helpful.

It's a great idea but most expats in Thailand would probably be too old to donate anyway. I am O RH Neg and offered my services about 5 years ago, I would have been 62, I rang the hospital and was told too old. 

Maybe hospitals have their own interpretation of the rules.

Here is a link to all the criteria before being accepted.

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/49

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

It's a great idea but most expats in Thailand would probably be too old to donate anyway. I am O RH Neg and offered my services about 5 years ago, I would have been 62, I rang the hospital and was told too old. 

Maybe hospitals have their own interpretation of the rules.

Here is a link to all the criteria before being accepted.

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/49

they might relent in an emergency?

9 hours ago, vogie said:

...  I rang the hospital and was told too old.

The recipient of your blood would have woken up and  completely forgotten how to text on the phone and all that.  Blood has Iron in it, and it gets rusty after awhile.  That sort of stuff.  The newer blood has active components like STDs, Ya Baa and such to jump start you.   Consider your blood dinosaur juice. 

I used to have a list and after about 10 years 50% was still correct. But it wasn't based on ThaiVisa, it was derived from various expat organisations, like Swiss Help etc. These people are not so mobile. 

A girl from the French embassy also had a list, but she got a new job and the list has been forgotten. 

American embassies are often good at this kind of stuff,  but the one in Bangkok doesnt have a list afaik.

The private hospitals tried it too (eg BNH), but discontinued and left the job to the Red Cross. Which is probably the best idea. If a hospital needs blood they will turn to the Red Cross anyway.