Nocturnal Noise Pollution

Mexlark

Anyone got any advice on how to gracefully deal with the ravages of late night loudmouth minor mafia cretins and their sonically-modified wheels. Sleep is not being slept. I sort of guess this is a problem everywhere in the Land of Playboys.

Edited by Mexlark
spelling

If you mean the boom box trucks then...you'll have to call the local council or police to try get them moved on somewhere else those things have no escape...the base shakes the teeth out of your head.....Horrible ! !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mexlark said:

Anyone got any advice on how to gracefully deal with the ravages of late night loudmouth minor mafia cretins and their sonically-modified wheels.

If you are in a town then your local City Hall should have a public health department and they may be of some help. The problem, of course, is that they will not be around when the noise is actually happening and you wont be able to provide precise information about the location and people involved, which you could if it was a bar or similar.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

To the OP,

"If only I could write like that"...(much admired).

you could probably start by removing the quotation marks unless you are quoting someone and then you might add who that might be that you are quoting...... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

To the OP,

You're probably not pretentious enough. I found it verbose and strained. My first reaction was why is this guy writing like this? Not how can I help 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Faikham said:

You're probably not pretentious enough. I found it verbose and strained. My first reaction was why is this guy writing like this? Not how can I help 

I'm not impressed either. But stress says it better than strain.

go to your local place of commerce that allow you to procure groceries and purchase bags of mung beans, throw the bag of beans on the road when lots of them gather, works like ball bearings, but cheaper and bio-degradable

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. Most of these things have already been tried with varying success. And will continue to to use all of them. But also stick to the original plan, which is let them mess up or get bored with the boring neighborhood all on their own. It takes time, sure. The local wisdom is that "BIg Men always go too far'', but it is always best to let the locals sort these things out in their own time. The noise will move somewhere else to show off, when it eventually realises that the audience is deaf. I'm glad I posted though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

you mean a farang girlfriend?

Which fan are we talking about here? Not that keen on white noise. I never use an air conditioner in a bedroom is because it keeps me awake. Headphones, earplugs and double glazing do not block out the sound of stoners.

49 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

I'm not impressed either. But stress says it better than strain.

I was using this definition of strained.

"produced by deliberate effort rather than natural impulse; artificial or forced."

"Sleep is not being slept" is a very awkward construction.

But I don't mean to be critical and do hope the poster finds a solution. I typically find grammar nazis more annoying than bad writers. I wouldn't have brought it up except to respond to the comment praising the style.

Edited by Faikham
Add a sentence
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you are in a town then your local City Hall should have a public health department and they may be of some help. The problem, of course, is that they will not be around when the noise is actually happening and you wont be able to provide precise information about the location and people involved, which you could if it was a bar or similar.

Some local knobs have already done this. I wasn't involved because any outside participation is always the kiss of death to a complaint here. There was eventually a 'visit', but I'm pretty certain it had been rehearsed to make sure no one important felt any discomfort. It is obvious that someone in the local district has done well out of this.

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

I am a great admirer of succinct replies-instead of endless waffle, moaning about living in Thailand etc etc etc .

There is really nothing the OP can do - except move. That’s it . 

download.jpeg

• Like 1

Life for some can be so trying in Thailand.  

In this case the OP has trouble getting to sleep because of the bass boom box boys and up in Bangkok, we have a story of a lady who can't sleep because of a boom boom couple.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1051330-sex-moans-coming-from-next-door-thai-tv-and-a-lawyer-take-up-the-case/

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

To the OP,

Agreed. Apart from the split infinitive, which is probably acceptable these days, it's a piece of gifted writing. I might have included a comma or two but, dotpoom, full marks to you for drawing attention to this refreshing contribution amidst a sea of illiteracy. 

On 8/5/2018 at 7:58 PM, sloperating said:

Agreed. Apart from the split infinitive, which is probably acceptable these days, it's a piece of gifted writing. I might have included a comma or two but, dotpoom, full marks to you for drawing attention to this refreshing contribution amidst a sea of illiteracy. 

One must suffer for one's art. But it makes the sarcasm easy to bear, at least. ? As for moving, I wouldn't give the barstaff the satisfaction. ?

Edited by Mexlark

Depends where you are, up in the Bans the village headman will put a cap on it, farmers need their sleep. Towns etc Police will respond, but tread softly. Thais are party people and weddings, funerals and birthdays are the norm. If it's constant then have a quiet chat at the local station and ask their advice, respect and politeness are a valued currency in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...