British tourists warned against hiring motorcycles and quad bikes in Thailand

rooster59

I see retired tourists riding scooters here in Rayong and they're a danger to themselves and other road users. I understand why they have to hire them because there is a lack of public transport especially after about 6pm, I have never understood why at least one songtaew doesn't drive continuously from one end of the beach to the other in high season charging 20baht get on/get off.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Speaking of "occupy the space", I think cyclists (with their silly looking outfits) going side by side (for some reason they always do) occupies much more space.

They ride side by side so when riding in a convoy they are a lot easier to overtake as the lentgh of the line of cycles is shorter. It's also safer for the cyclist as the drivers must wait till the road is clear till they overtake. Cyclist have as much right as everyone else to be on the road. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

They ride side by side so when riding in a convoy they are a lot easier to overtake as the lentgh of the line of cycles is shorter. It's also safer for the cyclist as the drivers must wait till the road is clear till they overtake. Cyclist have as much right as everyone else to be on the road. 

Bull shit.

They ride side by side to chat, and disregards

other road users, and they think traffic lights don't apply to them

as well. :bah:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Bull shit.

They ride side by side to chat, and disregards

other road users, and they think traffic lights don't apply to them

as well. :bah:

45 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Exactly. They are a nuisance!

The ignorance is strong with you guys. Yeah bicycles really are a nuisance with all the traffic they cause, the emmisions they produce and the racket they make. Instead of just taking your cues from what your read on the internet sit yourself on a bicycle, take to the roads and experience the danger people with your ignorant minds put cyclis in. You're probably the same people who lambast Thai driving yet you're just as moronic. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

The ignorance is strong with you guys. Yeah bicycles really are a nuisance with all the traffic they cause, the emmisions they produce and the racket they make. Instead of just taking your cues from what your read on the internet sit yourself on a bicycle, take to the roads and experience the danger people with your ignorant minds put cyclis in. You're probably the same people who lambast Thai driving yet you're just as moronic. 

One more idiot cyclist I bet.

Are you one of the idiots that ride the wrong way up the road as well ?

Ride two or three abreast going down the road. ?

Turning left at red traffic lights only to cut across in front of cars and bikes 

so you don't have to wait like the rest of us to go straight on. ?

You lot are the new arrogant, Ignorant people of the highways of Thailand. :bah::bah::bah:

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, nausea said:

About time too, only an idiot rides a motorcycle in Thailand unless it's absolutely necessary, or someone very rich who can afford the medical fees.

Thank you very much for calling me an idiot.

A somewhat foolish opinion from you.

I used to ride for enjoyment and sometimes necessity but at 74 I have just about given up.

Mainly because I would find it hard to pick up my bike if I dropped it and another reason is that there is no one around here to ride with.

• Like 2

Farangs riding Clicks and Dreams wearing shorts and flip flops but no helmet, copying the locals and believing they fit in, looking the part! What they don't get is that many of the locals who do that are too poor to afford any alternative and/or too stupid to understand the risks, perhaps it's the case that the farangs who do similar are exactly the same but try to justify their actions on the basis they are farang.....sad!

Wise up or die, I say, the odds are not in your favor.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Turning left at red traffic lights only to cut across in front of cars and bikes 

I never do that  , and I'm out with my bicycle daily , it's electric so I don't have to paddle all the time. Wait for the red light as anyone else.

You seem to have a problem with healthy people who like to stay fit. Maybe you should try to lose some weight. 

Edited by balo
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

I never do that  , and I'm out with my bicycle daily , it's electric so I don't have to paddle all the time. Wait for the red light as anyone else.

You seem to have a problem with healthy people who like to stay fit. Maybe you should try to lose some weight. 

Well if that's true about yourself, that's great

and good luck with the work out on an electric bike.  :giggle:

And good luck to the old boys with the bikes with no cross bar, just pedalling to Lotus  or Big-C to do there shipping and also its a bit of exercise for them.

they behave great on the roads, top dogs. :thumbsup:

But your not everybody are you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I tell any lies in my post about Cyclists ?

Yes,  I have a big problem with the Ignorant, Arrogant Pigs dressed up like CoCo the Clown, who think they are Iron man and won't get hurt as they misbehave on the roads, with there total disregard to other road users, 

A bit like Eddy Merckx on crystal meth. 

( Get out the way,  i'm a cyclist ,  get out the way )

They are a plague in Jomtien now days.

Thank you for your assessment on my heath and weight.

based on nothing more than what ? :coffee1:

Maybe you should stop drinking beer chang and get some real exercise

there are loads of Gyms in Jomtien, theres  an open one in Rompole market 

idea for you to have a Beer Chang and exercise at the same time, or are you already a member there ?

Have a nice day. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

5 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

When making a left turn always check your left side could be someone coming in the wrong lane. This happens when you have a main road through a small village  they don't want to cross the traffic to go one or two blocks.

Yes.

And then check again, behind you on the left side,

as Somchai has just come at 50-60k up the inside of you.:thumbsup:

since when have quad bikes even been actually road register-able?? 

someone would have to be pretty naive, to believe quad bikes, jet skis, paragliders etc etc would be covered! 

Even non-commercial flights are in the hitlists

15 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

One more idiot cyclist I bet.

You lot are the new arrogant, Ignorant people of the highways of Thailand. :bah::bah::bah:

I care enough about to ride with safety in the forefront of my mind and I hope others, even cyclist haters like you, care at least enough to not want to kill me. I obey the traffic laws better than 99.9% of the motorists on the roads, including the farangs. Of all the things that annoys you about cyclist the one I do is turn left at traffic lights as long as there's no on coming traffic, a completely legal thing to do here, just like turning right at lights is legal in the USA.

Maybe next time you're out and about and see some pesky ignorant cyclist causing havoc and being an arrogant menace to society you should mow em down with your twist and go. Sock it to 'em, show 'em who's boss! God damn commies! 

Now wind your neck in and remove the sand from your vagina.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

I care enough about to ride with safety in the forefront of my mind and I hope others, even cyclist haters like you, care at least enough to not want to kill me. I obey the traffic laws better than 99.9% of the motorists on the roads, including the farangs. Of all the things that annoys you about cyclist the one I do is turn left at traffic lights as long as there's no on coming traffic, a completely legal thing to do here, just like turning right at lights is legal in the USA.

Maybe next time you're out and about and see some pesky ignorant cyclist causing havoc and being an arrogant menace to society you should mow em down with your twist and go. Sock it to 'em, show 'em who's boss! God damn commies! 

Now wind your neck in and remove the sand from your vagina.

The truth hurts doesn't it. :cheesy:

And thanks for the rude personal attack at the end of your

dummy spitting . :coffee1:.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

LOL can drive or can't.. yes there are always some dummies on the way, not long ago one of the famous speeding russians got peeled off the road. 

I am driving here since 15 years and sure had some close calls on Bikes from Scooters to Harleys.. Some caused by some youngster and head in the sky driver but sure also the one or other in a moment of unawareness.

By now I am getting experienced enough to keep the throttle down and overtake when its absolute safe.

But for sure it took me about 10 years to know the score and it is true that a tourist should be made aware that a baht bus is as cheap or a Motorbike Taxi is "safer"

But I understand the tourists who survived in copious amounts the traffic that it is the only way to see much more than a few tourist tours can present you.

I only makes me shaking my head how much are driving without helmets thinking its too warm or do it because so many Thais give an example and in the holidays it should be allowed, how many drive from beer bar to beer bar  and thinking how cool they are? 

behind the tourists I hear residential Farangs complaning that the police checks for alcohol have increased and so the fines.. How about the home country, could you do there what you do here? 

Bad luck and death have no holidays.. 

• Like 1

Ummm, you don't get it, have you ever been to Thailand!
He is right though. Drive slow furthest out in the lane. You will have time to see, and stop if need be. Be super careful and you will for sure decrease the risk.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I was parked on a side road in the local village this morning and a guy backed his pickup out on the main road.

Straight into a motorbike coming along the road. The usual crowd gathered and some guy directed the traffic while waiting for the police to come from the police post 200 metres away.

The man on the bike was taken away in an EMS ambulance and when I left there were 4 cops around the bike and the pickup.

My thoughts are that the pickup driver just got in, started up and backed out with no indication other than his reversing lights and never bothered looking in his wing or rear view mirrors.

I have backed out of there many times in the past, but very slowly. I ALWAYS look in the mirrors and my 4 way flashers are always on and even then I have nearly hit someone because they HAD to get past me.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I was parked on a side road in the local village this morning and a guy backed his pickup out on the main road.

Straight into a motorbike coming along the road. The usual crowd gathered and some guy directed the traffic while waiting for the police to come from the police post 200 metres away.

The man on the bike was taken away in an EMS ambulance and when I left there were 4 cops around the bike and the pickup.

My thoughts are that the pickup driver just got in, started up and backed out with no indication other than his reversing lights and never bothered looking in his wing or rear view mirrors.

I have backed out of there many times in the past, but very slowly. I ALWAYS look in the mirrors and my 4 way flashers are always on and even then I have nearly hit someone because they HAD to get past me.

They don't care. at all. 

Selfish drivers and riders of Thailand, there are many

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1