Latest airport scam in Chiang Mai

mike graham

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Another variant of the "gas station" CCV/CVV scam thread of recently.

Not much CM airport specific. Guess it's now everywhere.

Remove/scratch off that crazy dangerous three digits.

Handing over a CC/debit card with the magic number is like handing over the keys to your account.

That's really good advice. Brilliant. Never thought about it before. I will pass this on to other people as well. 

I haven't heard about a CC scam from a DF in a while but quite a few years ago the same thing was going on whilst transiting Changi.

• Like 1

Same happened to me at KLI2 Duty Free when I flew thru to Oz last year.  It was easy to figure out as I'd only used that particular Oz CC once since its issue.  I only noticed the fraud when viewing transaction history and found iPhone gift card purchases (a common fraudulent online purchase).

Bank reissued a new card and deducted all charges.  I covered the CVV code with a small Thai-impossible-to-remove sticker as a precaution and will not permit a salesperson to take my card away for payment processing as is common in large stores and airport DFS.

• Like 2

Happens at restaurants. Me and a friend both ended up spending money in San Francisco and Europe within hours of payi g for the meal.... bank spotted it and cancelled my card. Inconvenient though. I complained on facebook page of this restaurant as a warning to others.

47 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My CC/debit and online banking app are linked, in the app I can lock/unlock the cards, turn on/off online purchases etc. When I use CC/debit to buy something online, open the app and turn on online purchases, make the purchase then turn online purchases back off. Most of the time I have cards locked in the app. Its a great feature if you are like me and often misplace a card only to find it again, you dont need to go into a mad panic and cancel cards, wait for a replacement etc. 

I presume most banking apps offer something similar. 

What bank do you use for that?

any smart ozzie would get a Secure Sentinel subscription, which protects your: CCs and other financial cards, Passports, Licences, phones and a variety of other valuable items. On first noticing fraudulent use, they are only a phonecall away, around the world.

Protection is Instant, and the most you'd might be liable for is the first $50...

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

any smart ozzie would get a Secure Sentinel subscription, which protects your: CCs and other financial cards, Passports, Licences, phones and a variety of other valuable items. On first noticing fraudulent use, they are only a phonecall away, around the world.

Protection is Instant, and the most you'd might be liable for is the first $50...

I used them for awhile but had problem with them, can't remember what now. I found most banks good. I had transactions on a Commonwealth Bank credit card and the first I knew was the bank contacted me with the suspect transactions and they had already been cancelled and so had card and new one was on its way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Too many people suffering from "Little Willy Syndrome" Thinking they are special cos they use plastic to buy everything costing more than $1. I have seen someone buy a litre of milk with a credit card !! It will backfire on you eventually. Cash will always be best.

Except for our Western credit-bsed society, where not having a credit card makes your life difficult, from not being able to rent a car to not having anything to build up the almighty credit score, which affects everything from your housing to employment to insurance (unless you have loans you can pay off to build your credit instead).

I've had people specifically advise me to get a credit card, charge a few small things every month, and then pay it off each month.  Ridiculous thing to have to do, but it's been NOT having a credit card that has bitten me in the ass several times, and eventually I'm going to have to break down and get one, despite not needing it, if I want to stay "credit worthy."

Also, some people-- like me in the U.S.-- use a debit card like a credit card. I almost never carry cash in the U.S.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned Australian cards and app. 

I still have a couple Oz credit cards but don't use here and have a Thai one too. I changed my base address in Oz last week so was trying to change details online. One card vendor would not allow my Thai number to be used so had to phone them. No real problem.

My wife and I had a credit card in Australia and i phoned one day to make a change. I can't remember but I think it was for my wife supplementary card on my account. While doing the change on the phone I asked my wife something and when bank staff heard that then refused to carry out the change. I think it was something simple like change colour of card. I like security but sometimes goes too far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katia said:

Except for our Western credit-bsed society, where not having a credit card makes your life difficult, from not being able to rent a car to not having anything to build up the almighty credit score, which affects everything from your housing to employment to insurance (unless you have loans you can pay off to build your credit instead).

I've had people specifically advise me to get a credit card, charge a few small things every month, and then pay it off each month.  Ridiculous thing to have to do, but it's been NOT having a credit card that has bitten me in the ass several times, and eventually I'm going to have to break down and get one, despite not needing it, if I want to stay "credit worthy."

Also, some people-- like me in the U.S.-- use a debit card like a credit card. I almost never carry cash in the U.S.

and if you are strong enough to be always able to pay off every purchase as soon as you get home - you are effectively using your Credit Card, as a Debit Card (which sure makes one feel better)     The having a Credit Card is many times necessary to, for example, rent a vehicle. A CC is seen as a real piece of ID, that the merchant feels they can reliably get the money out of you; whereas a true Debit card (when it zeroes out, there's nothing for the merchant to take! )