Proven way to get rid of Geko's

4MyEgo

On 8/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, Crossy said:

They can get into "waterproof" electrical boxes so a screen isn't going to help much.

They don't like mothballs, so a few of the big ones in strategic locations may help, or a car cover.

Their poop is bigger ?

Our electric water heater in the bathroom box is closed one got in there 

making it not work. Opened the box he fell out a bit stiff and hot water works again...

1 minute ago, DJ54 said:

Our electric water heater in the bathroom box is closed one got in there 

making it not work.

One of our outdoor waterproof (IP65) floodlights went "phut!". The cause, a fried jinjok, how he got in there I will never know.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, spidermike007 said:

The only thing I have found that not only kills geckos, but really turns them off, and gets them to move on is insect spray. I have had huge geckos in my home before. They are hard to catch. I sprayed them directly on the face with an ample amount of insect spray, and it seemed to really dull them and slow them down. I was then able to clobber them, and exterminate them. It also helps to lead them either out of the house, or in a direction where they can be captured. The spray will kill smaller geckos if you use enough of it. It also seems to be a bit of a deterrent, as they seem to really hate the smell of the stuff. 

Sounds like one of those cures that will ultimately be much worse than the problem. 

Geckos may be a minor irritation, but they won't get into your fat cells and eventually lead to cancer.  Or a thousand other maladies that insect spry can cause in the long term.  Of course, unlike offing a gecko, there won't be an obvious cause-effect, smoking gun, connect the dots kind of thing.  But I'd rather suffer the little bastards than regret killing myself or a loved one a few years later.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, spidermike007 said:

The only thing I have found that not only kills geckos, but really turns them off, and gets them to move on is insect spray. I have had huge geckos in my home before. They are hard to catch. I sprayed them directly on the face with an ample amount of insect spray, and it seemed to really dull them and slow them down. I was then able to clobber them, and exterminate them. It also helps to lead them either out of the house, or in a direction where they can be captured. The spray will kill smaller geckos if you use enough of it. It also seems to be a bit of a deterrent, as they seem to really hate the smell of the stuff. 

Of course you do realize you will never win the lotto .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

lay down some sticky rat baits ... the black ones that have glue on them. I caught 6 at once overnight

A slow terrible way for them to die .

I did use a sticky rat bait to catch a rogue rat in my room once and woke up to find a baby rat slowly dieing unable to move, gasping for air , horrible sight and I wont be using one again

Sorry,  haven't read all 5 pages.....but why do farangs always call these little lizards geckos ?

The correct term is  jinjok .   Geckos are the LARGE lizards that are almost always on an outside wall or in a storage shed and make the loud repetetive sound   gecko  gecko  gecko  or in thai   they are called

DOO GAE

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 10:32 PM, jimmyyy said:

Anything that eats mosquitoes gets left alone by me. I am not sure a product exists that would prevent them from staying.  Perhaps a screen might do the trick. 

I've been spending way too much time watching geckos eat and I've never seen one eat a mosquito. Has anyone?

3 hours ago, rumak said:

Sorry,  haven't read all 5 pages.....but why do farangs always call these little lizards geckos ?

The correct term is  jinjok .   Geckos are the LARGE lizards that are almost always on an outside wall or in a storage shed and make the loud repetetive sound   gecko  gecko  gecko  or in thai   they are called

DOO GAE

Gecko is a perfectly appropriate name for them.   Just like Mekong giant catfish is an acceptable name for Pla Buk.  Say Pla Buk or jing jok in places where English is spoken, and most people won't have a clue what you're talking about.  Call them giant catfish or gecko, and you'll be well understood.  And isn't that the objective?

In Asia/Southeast Asia, notably Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia, geckos have local names onomatopoetically derived from the sounds they make: Hemidactylus frenatus is called "chee chak" or "chi chak" (pr- chee chuck), said quickly. Also commonly spelled as "cicak" in Malay dictionaries. In the Philippines they are called "butiki" in Tagalog, "tiki" in Visayan, "alutiit" in Ilocano, and in Thailand "jing-jok" (Thai: จิ้งจก[4])

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_house_gecko

Edited by impulse

40 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I've been spending way too much time watching geckos eat and I've never seen one eat a mosquito. Has anyone?

That's because they move like lightening.  Amazing little critters they are.  

On 8/5/2018 at 2:18 AM, watcharacters said:

How could anyone not love a creature with a face like this?

1927972734_geko.thumb.jpg.78fdbd5e416cdd659bb75bee24c65012.jpg

I tried zooming out but I was unsuccessful.All  I can see is your hand holding a litle ugly lizard.:tongue: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

That's because they move like lightening.  Amazing little critters they are.  

I think you misunderstood my post. I've been watching them eat. They eat all kinds of insects although there are a few they avoid. And they even eat each other. But I have yet to see one eat a mosquito.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Call them giant catfish or gecko, and you'll be well understood.  And isn't that the objective?

well, i certainly wouldn't call them giant catfish  ?      If it makes you feel better, i guess you will be understood calling them geckos ( by farangs).   So you got me there.

But we are in Thailand and certainly a Thai would not understand....as they are called Jinjoks here.

Guess its who you are talking to,  though if you are talking to me i also would not understand if you call them geckos.  Our objectives differ, i guess......call them what you want.

in Thailand "jing-jok" (Thai: จิ้งจก[4])

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

How could anyone not love a creature with a face like this?

just remember to sleep with your mouth closed if the jinjoks are walking on your ceilings.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you eat meat? Somehow that is not murder, but killing a nuisance insect or reptile is? Displaced sympathies, perhaps?

Nowt wrong with geckos.

Bit of shit here and there.

They do far more good than bad.

Just another part of the eco system.

But then i'm no sanitation/cleanliness freak ...

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, masuk said:

Maybe you'd prefer malaria or dengue fever?   Geckos do a great job cleaning up mosquitos and are considered good luck to have inside the house.

Leave them alone

and reduce spraying.

They are considered good luck and if you hear a gecko before you leave your home, it is considered a warning sign that something bad will happen and you should, therefore, stay home. ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I think you misunderstood my post. I've been watching them eat. They eat all kinds of insects although there are a few they avoid. And they even eat each other. But I have yet to see one eat a mosquito.

I have to agree with you on that.   They seem to be selective when presented with various types of insects around a light.   They sure do go nuts for the flying termites, enjoy watching them gorge..... and then of course, stand by for lots of falling turds after the buffet.

image.png.3857516eac1ab92448a53829987ed902.png

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2018 at 12:43 PM, jak2002003 said:

Cover your car.

If is not the geckos it will be birds next.

The house we are in now is like swarming with different birds.  Don't know the reason why they like our house, but there are hundreds of sparrows, dozens of mynah birds and doves too.  They love to sit on the car and look at themselves in the mirrors, pooping all over the car, motorbikes, bicycles, windows, and throwing rubbish and sticks about all over the patio.  I 

I had the same problem so I bought a couple of small mirrors from the market and put them up outside where the birds could perch and admire themselves as much as they wanted. They leave my car mirrors alone now.