Proven way to get rid of Geko's

4MyEgo

On 8/10/2018 at 2:04 PM, KonKorat said:

Who ever kills these beautiful creatures are a piece of S#it.They help with the mosquitos etc.i love seeing them around my home.i love watching them when I’m bored,they relax me.

and of course "everyone" thinks "just like you"

I used to have a problem in my kitchen. A friend told me the best way was to put 2 toy rubber geckos there.

Geckos are apparently territorial and will move elsewhere if they see an area is occupied.

I have been gecko free for over a year.

Be careful what you wish for ....... !!!

For anyone out there who still reads books there is an excellent novel ( thinks I ), regarding newts / salamanders.

The book " War With The Newts", written in 1936 by the Czech author Karel Kapek was popular with the beatnik / hippie generations in the 1950's and 60's ( even as far back as the 1940's ).

When ex Eastern Block countries became liberalized I can remember seeing special displays of similar books in local libraries in the UK on some visits there.      I read this book in the 1960's and again a few months ago, still fascinating.  

The Wiki text says it is a "satirical Science fiction novel", depends what you think of as fiction in todays world .....!!!

"Geckos are not Salamanders" -  If you read the last sentence about the reproductive differences between each species could this be a warning ... ?

Wiki Text:-

War with the Newts (Válka s mloky in the original Czech), also translated as War with the Salamanders, is a 1936 satirical science fiction novel by Czech author Karel Čapek.

It concerns the discovery in the Pacific of a sea-dwelling race, an intelligent breed of newts, who are initially enslaved and exploited. They acquire human knowledge and rebel, leading to a global war for supremacy.

Geckos are not Salamanders.

Many people confuse geckos and salamanders.   At first glance, it's easy to understand why -- both types of animal are usually small and have similar body shapes. Despite these similarities, geckos and salamanders are very different animals that are separated by millions of years of evolution.

Geckos and salamanders are not closely related; salamanders are amphibians, while geckos are members of the class Reptilia.    While approximately 360 salamander species inhabit the globe, geckos are a much more diverse group, represented by almost 1,500 species.

Reproduction

One of the key innovations of the ancestor of modern reptiles and mammals was the development of the shelled, amniotic egg.   Unlike the eggs of most amphibians, which have no shell and must be deposited in the water or some very damp location, the shell of a reptile’s egg prevents it from desiccating.    This allowed reptiles to colonize habitats far from water, in places few salamanders could follow.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:44 AM, JayBangkok said:

I used to have a problem in my kitchen. A friend told me the best way was to put 2 toy rubber geckos there.

Geckos are apparently territorial and will move elsewhere if they see an area is occupied.

I have been gecko free for over a year.

Maybe that's a start for those who like to kill first and ask questions later.

Geckos don't bother me in the least, but a tookay in the house? That's another matter entirely.

For the past several weeks I have had a tookay trapped behind the living room TV cabinet. About once a week I peeked to see if it was still alive, but it was still hanging in there. I saw on the internet that ice cold water was supposed to stun them, and today I decided I'd give it a try. I had two spray bottles loaded with ice cold water, and shot at it like it was the last day of Songkran. Rather than being immobilized, however, it responded pretty much like you would if someone spritzed you with ice water while you were sleeping. It panicked and scurried as fast as I've ever seen one move. I managed to pin it to the ground with a broom and throw it outside, but have to say it was luckier than a few others that have gotten into the house in the past.

I remember going to Koh Chang (not the one near Trat, but in Ranong) about 25 years ago. It was completely undeveloped at the time and the only hotel was a primitive bungalow. My girlfriend and I had dinner and returned to the room about 9 PM and when we turned on the light there must have been about 30 tookays covering the walls and the rafters. My girlfriend absolutely freaked out: flailing hands, hysterics, pretty damn close to a total nervous breakdown. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but the tookay's heads weren't the normal flat shape but rather a scary T-rex rectangular shape, with jaws that looked like they had the capacity to tear flesh, like miniature velociraptors. It took quite a while and several shots of straight whiskey to convince her it was safe to return to the room. Miraculously, when we returned they had all disappeared. Thankfully there was mosquito netting over the bed, and once we were safely under it we were able to relax, even cuddle a bit, before falling asleep.

Edited by Gecko123

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Geckos don't bother me in the least, but a tookay in the house? That's another matter entirely.

For the past several weeks I have had a tookay trapped behind the TV cabinet. About once a week I checked to see if it was still alive, but it was still hanging in there. I saw on the internet that ice cold water was supposed to stun them and today I thought I'd give it a try. I had two spray bottles loaded with ice cold water, and shot at it like it was Songkran. Unfortunately it responded pretty much like you would if someone spritzed you with ice water while you were sleeping. It began super alert and was moving about as fast as I've ever seen one move. I managed to pin it to the ground with a broom and throw it outside, but have to say he was luckier than a few others that have gotten into the house in the past.

I remember going to Koh Chang (not the one near Trat but in Ranong) about 25 years ago. It was completely undeveloped at the time and the only hotel was a primitive bungalow. My girlfriend and I had dinner and returned to the room about 9 PM and when we turned on the light there must have been about 30 tookays covering the walls and the rafters. My girlfriend absolutely freaked out, flailing her hands, crying, pretty damn close to a nervous breakdown. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but the tookay's heads weren't the normal flat shape but rather a scary T-rex rectangular shape. Jaws that looked like they had the capacity to tear flesh. Like minature velociraptors. It took quite a while and several shots of straight whiskey to convince her it was safe to return to the room. Miraculously, when we returned they had all disappeared. Thankfully there was mosquito netting over the bed, and once we were safely under it we were able to relax, even cuddle a bit, before falling asleep.

Those were probably common garden lizards rather than tokay geckos.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, CGW said:

They can be expensive! one just fried the inverter on a AC unit ~4,500 baht to replace ? 

Had the same problem with the power circuit board in the TV, expensive fix-up. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Had the same problem with the power circuit board in the TV, expensive fix-up. 

$hit happens! turn on the appliance at the wrong time, odds are probably hugely against this happening, but it does... ? 

On 8/17/2018 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Anyone know where I can buy a toy rubber mother in law ? emoji51.png

Plenty of blow-up rubber dolls on the net, although probably a lot more attractive than a mother-in-law and possibly more useful. 

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Plenty of blow-up rubber dolls on the net, although probably a lot more attractive than a mother-in-law and possibly more useful. 

Yup, now I think about it, my request for a rubber  mother-in-law could have been taken out of context ?

Gonna have nightmares thinking about it now ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, now I think about it, my request for a rubber  mother-in-law could have been taken out of context ?

Gonna have nightmares thinking about it now ?

No need to lose any sleep over it.