Phuket hoteliers to eliminate plastic bottles, notch up environmental education

webfact

Phuket hoteliers to eliminate plastic bottles, notch up environmental education

By Sirivish Toomgum 
The Nation

1ba1436472dcfabd66c0e59952c43b24.jpeg

Anthony Lark

All members of the Phuket Hotels Association have jointly committed to eliminate plastic water bottles and drinking straws from rooms by 2019 as part of an effort to ensure a sustainable future for Phuket, said association president Anthony Lark.

The association has also provided information to its hotel members about companies that provide alternatives to plastics for food storage, waste bags and guest amenities. 

Lark said the association aims to ensure a sustainable short-term and long-term tourism environment in Phuket by encouraging its member hotels to take action and adopt sustainable, nonplastic solutions amenities and services to their guests.

“We’ve tracked the single use plastic in place at our hotels and provided the hotel owners and management with costeffective solutions to switch from plastics to sustainable alternatives. We’ve worked closely with the government and support the efforts of Thai schools and colleges to slowly but surely make changes. We will also be recognising those hotels that make the most progress,” he added.

Lark said that the growing numbers of tourists on the island actually helps make the alternatives more economically viable. For instance, the change from using plastic water bottles to reusable glass actually saves the hotels money and this has been demonstrated at many of members’ hotels that have already made the switch.

Phuket Hotels Association recently announced a new annual international forum called PHIST (Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism), which will hold its first event on the island in September to support the region's hospitality industry in its fight for a sustainable future. 

The PHIST Forum 2018 will take place on September 24th at the JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa and is coorganised by C9 Hotelworks and Greenview, respected consultants to the regional hospitality industry. The innovative ecofocused event will bring together some of Southeast Asia’s key tourism and hospitality stakeholders – particularly those operating in island destinations – to explore solutions to the region’s most pressing environmental issues.

“Island tourism in Southeast Asia is at a critical juncture; we simply cannot continue overlooking the impacts,” said Eric Ricaurte, founder and CEO of Greenview in an association media release trumpeting the event.

“Risks are real and sustainability must be the driving force behind future growth. But how do we change and adapt to the challenges we face, then catalyse solutions across the region? Education is the key and PHIST will create a forum for positive action.”

The PHIST program will feature a series of expert panels, themed talks, technical workshops and roundtable discussions covering topics such as sustainable operations, destination development, and overtourism. The event is expecting 500 delegates from around the Asia region. All the sessions will be free to attend.

Working together is essential for the industry’s longterm survival, said Bill Barnett, managing director of C9 Hotelworks.

“Environmental destruction is a crisis without borders and the hospitality industry needs to collaborate, find answers, and come up with a regional action plan,” he said. “We can literally use PHIST to fight for our sustainable survival.”

In line with the organisation’s solutions-oriented approach, the Phuket Hotels Association will use PHIST 2018 as an opportunity to showcase its “People. Planet. Phuket” campaign, which aims to educate local island communities and visitors about the importance of the Three Rs – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.

The campaign brings together over 70 member hotels in an education initiative targeting Phuket’s schools, designed to promote environmental protection and support. The community-based programme uses specially created anime characters, including “The Phist”, a school teacher-turned-superhero who fights and defeats polluting enemies like plastic straws, plastic bottles and oil waste in the ocean.

PHIST is supported by major tourism organisations, including the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Thailand Convention and Events Bureau (TCEB), and the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM) and AustralianThai Chamber of Commerce (AUSTCHAM). Phuket Governor Norrapat Plodthong will open the event.

Lark added that one of the Phuket Hotels Association’s most important tasks is to create a forum for the hotel members to gain access to information on ways to reduce their use of plastics.

“This is, of course, a global issue and we all decided that we wanted Phuket to take the initiative to address these issues with education and actionable strategies that really make a difference. Every tropical island faces the same issues as Phuket and now is the time to start a serious effort to address this in Southeast Asia,” said Lark.

“When the other destinations see the efforts we make to bring together the community, we hope it will raise awareness throughout the region. The PHIST event has a strong regional message and we have already received a lot of interest from islands throughout the Asean bloc interested in the discussion and working towards real actionable solutions and instilling best sustainable practices.

“And yes, every small step we all take makes a difference for Phuket and benefits all those who visit our beautiful Island,” Lark concluded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30351484

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-06
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

What ever happened to biodegradable plastics???

They can be recycled also...and converted to other plastic products...it's happening in China. Note that the empty beer bottles here end up in the trash.

• Like 1

Way over due Lark.  I fancy restaurants with free water or water that comes in the old glass bottles.   Hotels should distill their own water. 

My favorite restaurant in China has free water mixed with lemons and mint leaves as well as tea.   A meal there is as low as B100. 

I am always curious a country that has had peace for so many years is far behind its neighbors.  That Lark guy has been spending too much time sitting under the palm trees. 

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Why single out Thai's love of plastic bags....do you not think plastic bags were/are loved by most people everywhere?

you are in love with your plastic bags??? thats something to brag about sir!!...''trippple bag yours then''...

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Haha 1

Seems like a reverse in health & hygiene to me. Bottled water in glass is OK but I believe it was shown that a danger existed with bacteria massing under the caps of the bottles, more so than the plastic tops.

And as Xonax said earlier, unless the hotels have a policy that the glass bottles are not to leave the hotels, you are going to have an increase in accidents on the beaches through broken glass.

In fact just thinking about it, in all likelihood this will do very little to reduce plastic outside of the hotels, as your normal tourist will be buying plastic bottles from your 7/11's and other retailers and only increase the chance of getting cut through broken glass caused by those tourists saving 10 baht by taking the said glass bottles from the hotels (you will always get these no matter what you do!).  

Less than 10% of plastic is recycled in Thailand.  And now the authorities are closing down many recycling plants 'to discourage the import of plastic waste!!'

10 countries in Africa have successfully banned plastic bags, some banned years ago.  Thailand can't do what the Africans can??  Bangladesh banned plastic bags 16 years ago.

Thailand 4.0..... lol.

• Like 2

Well done. Someone has to take the lead on these things and actually put a plan into action. All politicians will do is talk about it, set up committees and commission studies wasting time as well as recourses. It’s great to see an organization proactively doing something positive for the environment without waiting for legislation. 

Time for others to follow suit. 7/11 perhaps?

One has to remember that this is also Thailand, You think those glass reusable water bottles are gonna be washed in hot water and sterilized properly before being refilled with quality drinking water...or just a quick wash in cold water and filled up with water from one of those water machines on the side of the road.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be a small miracle if this actually happened. There are a myriad of solution, including glass bottles, and providing the guests with a pitcher of water from the 20 liter bottles that are safe, clean, and recycled.

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can. 

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

• Sad 1

I believe this to be a great start. But perhaps someone could check out the daily charter boats out of Phuket??? The rubbish and crap they deposit during their trips to Ha Ha Coral island ( Now plastic junk yard ), with polystyrene/bottles and plastic bags littering everywhere, as well as the beach they return to in Chalong! You should also look under the water as well? There are filter systems for water, which could be provided, as fill up stations in Chalong?? Considering the money they are making from the Chinese.  Think about tomorrow??? 

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The article was a bit short on detail about alternatives. Any place that you do not feel confident in the tap water you are going to have to buy water in plastic bottles. Tourists are not going to walk around town carrying a glass jug.

I walk/ride around with a stainless steel 500 ml vacuum bottle, no problem and a lot better than a plastic bottle for keeping drinks cold/w ice. Make my own ice in fridge (to ensure ice is not from tap water) from 20 l bottled water service (recycled) and have been buying 12 baht, glass-bottled Coca-Cola at 7/11 lately (which I immediately empty into the thermos with 50% ice). Better than plastic and even cheaper than the sugary drinks people, particularly the Thais, like to buy from 7/11 and carry around in plastic bags.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I walk/ride around with a stainless steel 500 ml vacuum bottle, no problem and a lot better than a plastic bottle for keeping drinks cold/w ice. Make my own ice in fridge from 20 l water bottle service (recycled) and have been buying 12 baht, Coca-Cola at 7/11 lately. Better than plastic and even cheaper than the sugary drinks people, particularly the Thais, like to buy from 7/11 and carry around in plastic bags.

That coke is made from concentrate syrup, not too good for you

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I walk/ride around with a stainless steel 500 ml vacuum bottle, no problem and a lot better than a plastic bottle for keeping drinks cold/w ice. Make my own ice in fridge from 20 l water bottle service (recycled) and have been buying 12 baht, Coca-Cola at 7/11 lately. Better than plastic and even cheaper than the sugary drinks people, particularly the Thais, like to buy from 7/11 and carry around in plastic bags.

I am with you there Max, but tourists usually do not have the facilities or inclination to do that.

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

About time! EVERY restaurant and home in Thailand has at least a three-stage water filter. No reason not to drink the water from them.

INSIST your favourite venues give you filtred water. They'll learn because your custom is their living.

Good point  why do hotels supply bottles of water then ?  Obviously they do not trust the tap water.

20 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I am with you there Max, but tourists usually do not have the facilities or inclination to do that.

Agree, it will have to be done with a total elimination action (aka force) such as what happened to the aluminum/steel can pull tab that was replaced with one that stayed attached to the can. The hotels could offer non-tap (pure) water dispensers at no separate charge to encourage, at least, re-use of plastic containers. I don't understand the replacement of plastic bottles with glass. Sounds untoward. Why don't they, instead, offer metal even if not vacuum-insulated.

I imagine it's impractical to hit the war surplus market for U.S. Government Issue military canteens (which were metal alloy, not glass!) with the optional fabric evaporative cooling cover, yes?

Edited by MaxYakov

This is a typical over reaction to a non-problem. Publicity grabber, you betcha. Contrary to world news media, plastics are a minor pollutant of the worlds oceans and Thailand is less of a pollutant as the publicity grabbers would believe. By the By, consider that handicapped must have plastic bendable straws to drink from glasses or bottles,  plastic or otherwise. Many products are sold in plastic bottles, tea, soft drinks, etc. The Lord save us from tree hugging do gooders whose actions are not based on facts.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Well done, but we all know that for some unknown reason, (probably money) that Thailand should just Ban plastic shopping bags and Styrofoam boxes and Thailand's appearance would slowly transform and reduce rubbish everywhere!

• Sad 1