Retirement extension / passport less than one year left

My UK passport runs out next August.I need to renew my retirement extension next february so as I understand it I will only get an extension till the end date of my passport loosing more than half of its usual length. So I'm looking to get a new passport while back here in Uk atm though that is likely to cost £100 extra for the fast service.I will be returning to Thailand in about a month and am often out of the country in August so don't want my annual retirement extension renewal then.February is ideal for me.

a) is this correct?   b) are there any other options worth considering?

Just for info I am in a similar situation and just renewed mine while I am back and it has been returned in just over a week. I went through the Post Office checker route which cost £90 odd pound.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Correct that you must have at least 12 months remaining on your passport when you apply for the extension or it will only be issued to date your passport expires.

See here for the options to get your passport urgently while in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

It appears you would save a little money using the one week option to get it.

You will get up to 9 months of current passports validity added to your new passport.

• Like 1

Ok so renew while here in Uk as I thought .Didn't know you could transfer up to 9 months so that is good. Thanks guys.

How about original 0 visa and current extension that will be in cancelled passport? I take it I will have to show old passport too?

1 minute ago, chaiyapoon said:

How about original 0 visa and current extension that will be in cancelled passport? I take it I will have to show old passport too?

You will show your old passport on entry to use the re-entry permit in it.

Then you will need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaiyapoon said:

Ok so renew while here in Uk as I thought .Didn't know you could transfer up to 9 months so that is good. Thanks guys.

Yes you have to bring the old passport....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update . Renewed passport through Post Office cost about  extra £10 for this service but its cheap really as they send  for you and don't pay anmore more. Came back in just over a week in spite of them sending confirmations that it will be upto 3 weeks.If you pay for fast service through HMPO its way more than that.

Only complaint I had was with the courier company delivering before the stated time they work  I was out . So rearranged delivery and they did exactly the same tried delivering at 8.30 when they state delivery will be between 9 and 5.luckily I caught them leaving at the gate. Thanks again guys.

9 hours ago, chaiyapoon said:

Only complaint I had was with the courier company delivering before the stated time they work  I was out . So rearranged delivery and they did exactly the same tried delivering at 8.30 when they state delivery will be between 9 and 5.luckily I caught them leaving at the gate. Thanks again guys.

When it comes to having a new passport delivered half an hour early versus being expected to make a second awkward trip to Bangkok to collect it at an exact prearranged time regardless of prevailing traffic conditions, it goes without saying, I think, as to which is far more worthy of complaint!

Edited by OJAS

On 8/6/2018 at 4:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

You will show your old passport on entry to use the re-entry permit in it.

Then you will need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred.

To do the transfer to new passport, don't most/some offices require a letter from the relevant embassy regarding the issuance of the passport?  Maybe a receipt for payment made in UK would suffice??

34 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

To do the transfer to new passport, don't most/some offices require a letter from the relevant embassy regarding the issuance of the passport?  Maybe a receipt for payment made in UK would suffice??

It depends upon the office he has to use. Most do not require the letter if the new passport has been used to enter the country.

If they want one he could contact the UK embassy and they will send it by EMS to him.

I went home to Ireland last May and got a new passport online. Great service, got my photos taken in a photo booth (this one was at the local post office but had no connection to said post office) With the photos came a number on each photo.  I picked the photo I liked best (not easy to do as they were all extremely handsome).I then filled out the form online and quoted the number of the picture I had chosen ...That was it. Didn't have to send my old PP to them, not even a photo, They were able to get the photo I picked through the number I gave them. That number was valid for 6 months.

I went to Spain for a holiday for 10 days while waiting for the new PP...It was sitting pretty on the floor inside the hall door when I returned from Spain. I have carried on using my old PP in Thailand (for 90 day etc.,) until it runs out in December.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, Athens said:

Get a new passport in the UK it will last for 10 years, yr reentering visa will still be valid 

His would last for 10 years 9 months (the maximum if renewed at least 9 months before the expiration date.

My current passport is 10 years 7 months.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I renewed my passport in Bangkok, took 7 days !!

was very easy and service was excellant.

as an addition, I would definately get a letter from Embassy to take to Immigration, ( when I got new passport in Bangkok, they automatically give you the letter. ) since you cannot be sure they will or wont want it, and getting to Immigration to find they want one and you dont have it will be a pain !! 

On 8/6/2018 at 3:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

Correct that you must have at least 12 months remaining on your passport when you apply for the extension or it will only be issued to date your passport expires.

See here for the options to get your passport urgently while in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

It appears you would save a little money using the one week option to get it.

You will get up to 9 months of current passports validity added to your new passport.

Does the 12 months remaining apply to both retirement and marriage extensions, my next extension is March 2019 and my passport expires Nov 2019.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Does the 12 months remaining apply to both retirement and marriage extensions, my next extension is March 2019 and my passport expires Nov 2019.

It is the same for every type of extension.

You need to get a new passport or your extension will end in November of 2019.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for every type of extension.

You need to get a new passport or you extension will end in November of 2019.

Do I need to make two journeys to the Embassy, the second to collect or will they post it? Thanks Joe.

53 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do I need to make two journeys to the Embassy, the second to collect or will they post it? Thanks Joe.

If you are getting a UK passport you have to return to pick it up. They will not mail it. You can authorize somebody to pick it up but they need your old passport to do it so that it can be canceled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anfh said:

I renewed my passport in Bangkok, took 7 days !!

was very easy and service was excellant.

as an addition, I would definately get a letter from Embassy to take to Immigration, ( when I got new passport in Bangkok, they automatically give you the letter. ) since you cannot be sure they will or wont want it, and getting to Immigration to find they want one and you dont have it will be a pain !! 

How do I book an appointment. Thanks