buying a car in Thailand as a foreigner

Mevst170

Hi ill be coming back over to Thailand again soon (in a 3-4 months) and im wanting to purchase a car and then export to UK. Im not sure what process i need to follow and what paperwork ill need to:
1. Purchase the car (what documents to transfer to me)
2. Drive the car in Thailand (insurance etc)
3. export the car out of the country. (what documents and where do i need to go etc)

Can anyone on here lend any suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

• Haha 1

Hi,

Reason is there are some older cars that are only available in the east, some older toyota & mazdas that are much cheaper than in the UK, also the cars are RHD and given their age (30+yrs) would have low import costs into UK. Ive been after a specific one for a while but just dont know the process to buy a car in thailand and all the required steps.

Dealing with the shipping and import im aware of its just the purchasing and then de-registration process.

Would only use it for a few days then and drop off at a port for shipping.

Cheers

Ade

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mevst170 said:

Hi,

Reason is there are some older cars that are only available in the east, some older toyota & mazdas that are much cheaper than in the UK, also the cars are RHD and given their age (30+yrs) would have low import costs into UK. Ive been after a specific one for a while but just dont know the process to buy a car in thailand and all the required steps.

Dealing with the shipping and import im aware of its just the purchasing and then de-registration process.

Cheers

Ade

Buying the car can be taken care of easily but personally I would check with Thai export offices and shipping first also check with UK custom to procedure and costs of bringing the vehicle in.

Are you allowed to import an old vehicle that is probably devoid of any emissions control into the UK?

If it's a model not sold in the UK and it is old, where do the spares come from?

If they're cheap enough, better but a couple.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, Mevst170 said:

Hi,

Cheers

Ade

Quality 30+ year old vehicles in Thailand are actually more common than manure from a rocking horse. They also command a premium price. Most you see around; are mobile, 'useable parts' at best.

The buying process begins by approaching the potential seller. Then, contact a shipping agent/lawyer who'll elicit the shipment details you.

Once in Great Britain, there will be taxes to pay. Of which, your shipping agent should already have made you fully aware. Once 'in country', there's a registration process with the British DoT. After approval, you can sell it on.

If you've made an exceptional find, it could be a worthwhile endeavor.

I wouldn't consider concerning myself with the required processes until I had proven provenance of the vehicle and it's worth on the world market.

You'll need full provenance to auction it, anyway.

What is it,  that makes you think it's so worthwhile?

I'm guessing it's very clean.

Jerry

• Like 1

Cars in Thailand do not have a heater in them only air con what would you do when your windows are full of ice and the car is freezing cold inside due to there being no heating . The cars built here are for Thailand conditions not for the U.K. + think about import duty the last time I imported a car to the UK I had to own it for 1 year otherwise import tax had to be paid .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Cars in Thailand do not have a heater in them only air con what would you do when your windows are full of ice and the car is freezing cold inside due to there being no heating . The cars built here are for Thailand conditions not for the U.K. + think about import duty the last time I imported a car to the UK I had to own it for 1 year otherwise import tax had to be paid .

Really?

:laugh:

• Like 2

A lot of these older cars you speak about have had the engine changed so don’t be surprised to see a 30 year old Merc with a Totally different engine in it which would devalue the price in the U.K. so is it worth it I would imagine it would be difficult to find an old car in Thailand that is 100% original .

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

I do know of a Jaguar XK140 that’s for sale here. Owner can’t easily get rid of it as there is no aircon and any add in would be ugly so it’s only really suitable for export. 

That is a nice car....?

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

"Cars in Thailand do not have a heater in them only air con what would you do when your windows are full of ice and the car is freezing cold inside due to there being no heating . The cars built here are for Thailand conditions not for the U.K..."

You seem to be suggesting that those cons will apply to his import and therefore it's not a good idea but it was ok for you to do it?  Allegedly.

Many older cars do have heaters as they were made in the UK or the US, for example, not in Thailand specifically for the Thai market and they were then imported here!  

Bear in mind also that many old cars even in the UK were not produced with heaters as standard there either, how did those owners cope, eh? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Cars in Thailand do not have a heater in them only air con what would you do when your windows are full of ice and the car is freezing cold inside due to there being no heating . The cars built here are for Thailand conditions not for the U.K..."

You seem to be suggesting that those cons will apply to his import and therefore it's not a good idea but it was ok for you to do it?  Allegedly.

Many older cars do have heaters as they were made in the UK or the US, for example, not in Thailand specifically for the Thai market and they were then imported here!  

Bear in mind also that many old cars even in the UK were not produced with heaters as standard there either, how did those owners cope, eh? 

My 1959 Mini had a heater...?

Does anyone know if i can buy a new car on my retirement visa? (new honda civic) i already have a trade in which will be about 30 to 40% against the new car, or can sell the existing Toyota SUV and give dealer cash down, I wont have a guarantor (tried that before without success)!  

What the OP wants to do is crazy as you can buy second hand cars in the UK for next to nothing. By the time you add on transport Tax he'll be quid's out.

Regards Thai car's not having heaters. Some of the old ones I must admit don't have, but all the modern ones do. Even though they might not say so on the dash.

You will find that if you up the temp: control to over 30c the heater will come on getting hotter the more you turn up control. They will also turn the upper vents to the foot position as heat rises.  It has done so on both my Tuners, also on my friend 4 year old Nissan. Mind you it's a pain in the Butt as if you use it, the lump just steams up.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

Does anyone know if i can buy a new car on my retirement visa? (new honda civic) i already have a trade in which will be about 30 to 40% against the new car, or can sell the existing Toyota SUV and give dealer cash down, I wont have a guarantor (tried that before without success)!  

Yes you can buy on Retirement Visa. 

I think that you will need around a 50% deposit if you want it on H/P without a guarantor. Paying cash is fine though. But you will need the total amount.

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobnuts said:

I do know of a Jaguar XK140 that’s for sale here. Owner can’t easily get rid of it as there is no aircon and any add in would be ugly so it’s only really suitable for export. 

Let me know what year it is and it's "honest" condition...I have contacts in the UK as to it's value...Left or right hand drive...

30+ year old car in good shape will be hard to find and chances are if its

been well kept they’ll know the value. I seen very few people that take good care of their vehicles. Yes their are some but theirs a lot that don’t. 

Look in US and different countries if you’re looking for a nice old car.

You can find some that pricing isn’t crazy if not popular model.

Really! The lack of heater in new cars here puzzled me. Have a 2017 MUX in the colder season had to take someone to Udon 1 hour drive. 

Wife loaned someone a my light jacket and only had short sleeve t-shirt

on. Had to arrive before a certain time.....looked everywhere to find a heater switch.... Doesn’t have one. 

Never seen it before my 49 Chevy pick up in states even had a heater...

good luck Finding something you like and want ....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

30+ year old car in good shape will be hard to find and chances are if its

been well kept they’ll know the value. I seen very few people that take good care of their vehicles. Yes their are some but theirs a lot that don’t. 

Look in US and different countries if you’re looking for a nice old car.

You can find some that pricing isn’t crazy if not popular model.

Really! The lack of heater in new cars here puzzled me. Have a 2017 MUX in the colder season had to take someone to Udon 1 hour drive. 

Wife loaned someone a my light jacket and only had short sleeve t-shirt

on. Had to arrive before a certain time.....looked everywhere to find a heater switch.... Doesn’t have one. 

Never seen it before my 49 Chevy pick up in states even had a heater...

good luck Finding something you like and want ....

For the third time of trying to respond. Just about peed off with TV Mod's please note.

Have you tried turning you temp switch/knob up to around 30c you might find it works then. My Tuna also doesn't have a switch or knob or anything else that denotes it has a heater. But by turning the temp: knob to 30c it come on automaticity. How it works ??? as it doesn't have any pipe feeding it. Might be some sort of heat transfer or electric system. Whatever it works instantly even with a cold engine.

Edited by fredob43

11 hours ago, crazykopite said:

My cars imported here from Germany have heaters ❤️

A car in Thailand as stated alredat has no heating. To built this in at of remarked or used parts estimate on 1000 Euro.

Next you need different reflectors and glasses for the lights.

Next the brakes should meet minimum value.

Next the emission values are obsolete s you need to buy a complete new exhaust system with catalysor as most old thai cars not have.

Next the model of the car needs to have car identification and registration of types and  model and must have been registerde in the UK or the EU already.

Next transport costs in a single 20 feet container will be at about 2500 to 3000 Euro.

Next most older cars have no more original engines. Mostly older cars like Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, Fiat, Rover, etc have Toyota or sometimes Mazda engine and gearboxes aboard.

So type legislation will be a great hurdle to pass.

Last before import you need to own the car 1 year and are not able to sell it within 1 year

14 hours ago, fredob43 said:

For the third time of trying to respond. Just about peed off with TV Mod's please note.

Have you tried turning you temp switch/knob up to around 30c you might find it works then. My Tuna also doesn't have a switch or knob or anything else that denotes it has a heater. But by turning the temp: knob to 30c it come on automaticity. How it works ??? as it doesn't have any pipe feeding it. Might be some sort of heat transfer or electric system. Whatever it works instantly even with a cold engine.

Why do you keep going on and on about "you" having a PC problem, this is the motoring forum..

Have a chat with admin if you think "your" problem is their end...?