Thai Visa declined for too many visits

This week I have been declined a visitor Thai Visa at the Phnom Penh embassy only because I have been to Thailand too  many times. 8x Visas in the last 2 years. All prepurchsed Visas outside of Thailand. i.e. in Cambodia or Laos.

This does not seem a valid lawful reason, so what are my options to return to Thailand in 2 weeks time?

I meet all requirements. Flight in and out. Bank statement. And I have Travel insurance. 

Any advise would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Nicknoodle said:

This does not seem a valid lawful reason, so what are my options to return to Thailand in 2 weeks time?

Yes it is.

Just because you were denied there doesn’t mean you’ll be denied elsewhere, so it’s worth trying another embassy/consulate.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Are you from Cambodia or Laos?

I'm guessing that you are not.

Im from New Zealand but currently in Phnom Penh until Saturday when I go to KL for 2 days. Then Cebu and Manila.

Edited by Nicknoodle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How long did you stay on each of those visa entries? (i.e. how many months out of the past 24 were you in Thailand)?

The embassy was only interested in counting all the visas in my passport. But anyway in answer to your question, I suppose in the last 2 years I have been in Thailand for a year perhaps. 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The sure option at this stage is Savannakhet Laos. Alternatives would depend on where you have applied before, and whether you have a "red stamp" from places such as Vientiane or Penang.

I’ve been to the Vientiane embassy twice this year and it wasn’t a problem at all. Red stamp? I have 2x blue Visa stamps from Vientiane. All my other visas (stickers) are from Phnom Penh.

33 minutes ago, Nicknoodle said:

The embassy was only interested in counting all the visas in my passport.

I think all consulates just count the visas they can see in your passport. The problem is that they all have their own rules and limits. Getting a new passport would solve the problem.

• Like 1

I will be coming in for my seventh visit within two years on this passport. I don't get visas, just turn up with my passport and get a stamp.

I only stay for two or three weeks each time in a hotel in Ubon (a GOOD hotel!) with my intended.

Every time I come, it's a direct return flight from Heathrow to Swampy on Thai Airways.

Do you think I could be dragged out and questioned? I will only have three hours to catch the connection ?

Edited by PhilAtUbon

1 hour ago, PhilAtUbon said:

I will be coming in for my seventh visit within two years on this passport. I don't get visas, just turn up with my passport and get a stamp.

I only stay for two or three weeks each time in a hotel in Ubon (a GOOD hotel!) with my intended.

Every time I come, it's a direct return flight from Heathrow to Swampy on Thai Airways.

Do you think I could be dragged out and questioned? I will only have three hours to catch the connection ?

Maybe, but unlikely with that history/pattern of visits. The worst that’s likely to happen is the IO telling you to get a visa next time.

5 hours ago, PhilAtUbon said:

I agree that you are unlikely to have a problem, even entering visa exempt. It seems you have stayed a total of about 3-4 months over two years in Thailand. That is not much. The immigration official will receive an alert that you have over six visa exempt entries, and you could, possibly, be questioned, but this would just be for a few minutes, I think, in a case like yours. If you wish to be especially safe, get a tourist visa. I am sure, with your pattern of visits, no immigration official would then give you a second glance.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

I think all consulates just count the visas they can see in your passport. The problem is that they all have their own rules and limits. Getting a new passport would solve the problem.

Yes it’s hard to understand why they don’t all have exactly the same rules. I have been to many countries and I’ve never once had an issue with any Visa. My 10 year passport is 2 years old and 80% full already.

It is rather cheaper to get a new passport than pay some of these agencies. So I will consider this option if I continue to want to stay in Thailand. Thank you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I agree that you are unlikely to have a problem, even entering visa exempt. It seems you have stayed a total of about 3-4 months over two years in Thailand. That is not much. The immigration official will receive an alert that you have over six visa exempt entries, and you could, possibly, be questioned, but this would just be for a few minutes, I think, in a case like yours. If you wish to be especially safe, get a tourist visa. I am sure, with your pattern of visits, no immigration official would then give you a second glance.

For about 2 years I did as you have done. Just arrived at the airport and got a 30 Visa exempt stamp. But over time I got questioned more and more but always got the stamp. Then one day coming in by land from Cambodia I got declined initially because on their system I was a Visa runner, and they showed me this by allowing me into their booth, the screen flashed red when scanning my passport. Lol. But in fact I had been out of the country a couple of weeks. After been taken to the naughty boy chair I had to supply proof of flight and funds, and had to fill in a statement and have everything copied and they photographed me also. All rather strange but I was permitted to enter. After that I only ever bought a Visa prior to entering Thailand. 

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How long did you stay on each of those visa entries? (i.e. how many months out of the past 24 were you in Thailand)?

I'll be the farm that he stayed the full duration on each visit i.e. 58, 59 or 60 days and then extended for 30 days.  Do that again and again and of course the embassies in surrounding countries are going to be suspicious.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

Im from New Zealand but currently in Phnom Penh until Saturday when I go to KL for 2 days. Then Cebu and Manila.

So fly back to Auckland and get a multiple entry tourist visa at the consulate in downtown Auckland.  For Kiwi passport holders the Thai consulate in Auckland is a breeze to deal with - no queues as hardly anyone ever there and they (the receptionist in a law firm's office) is very helpful.  If you are not from Auckland and / or don't have friends or family you can stay with while there, there are heaps of accommodation options downtown.  It might sound like a long flight and a long way to go, but Thai Airways has been advertising flights Auckland - Bangkok - Auckland for not much over $NZD1,000, or around 23,000 baht.  Get this visa and you should be good for around 9 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

Yes it’s hard to understand why they don’t all have exactly the same rules. I have been to many countries and I’ve never once had an issue with any Visa. My 10 year passport is 2 years old and 80% full already.

It is rather cheaper to get a new passport than pay some of these agencies. So I will consider this option if I continue to want to stay in Thailand. Thank you.

Hard to understand? If you spend some time living here you will see this happens all the time.. even to the extent you can see the same official the following day after refusal and you are rushed through..  Immi, hospitals, banks.... "anything" can happen..

4 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Hard to understand? If you spend some time living here you will see this happens all the time.. even to the extent you can see the same official the following day after refusal and you are rushed through..  Immi, hospitals, banks.... "anything" can happen..

He's right. Sometimes, they'll make up a rule right in your face And try to enforce it 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

A bit off topic, but hotel-wise I can strongly recommend the Nartsiri Residence Hotel.  It's not very far from the Ubon town square, and price/value without a doubt the best hotel I ever stayed in.  Very clean, beautifully decorated, attention to the smallest detail in all respects.  A double room is 850 THB with very good buffet breakfast included.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Nicknoodle said:

The embassy was only interested in counting all the visas in my passport. But anyway in answer to your question, I suppose in the last 2 years I have been in Thailand for a year perhaps. 

So you're not a Tourist in their eyes, go home and get he Multiple Entry Visa..........

Edited by TunnelRat69

21 hours ago, KneeDeep said:
On 8/8/2018 at 6:49 AM, Will27 said:

That won't help him.

He can still be turned away for spending too much time in Thailand regardless.

Nope.

Rare, but it has happened to those with a Tourist Visa - but has ONLY been reported (in many years) as occurring at some airports and the Poipet/Aranya checkpoint.  Even 20K Baht cash-in-hand has not overcome the IO's determined-desire to deny-entry, in rare cases - though most denials were using the 20K Baht rule as an excuse, which is easily avoided.

@Nicknoodle- The Phnom Penh embassy has become difficult lately.  They require 3 to 4 days for processing, and have been reported to add "red stamps" on Visas they issue, even if you only have 2 other Tourist-Visas in your passport.  A "red stamp" is a little stamped-note saying, "This person frequently travels to Thailand on Tourist Visas...."  and it means you can no longer get a new Tourist Visa from that consulate, Vientiane, and possibly Penang and others. 

At present, the best time to get a Tourist Visa at Phnom Penh is on a fresh passport, so you won't get the red-stamp.  Then, maybe one from Penang, then HCMC, a couple from Vientiene, then Savannakhet (no red-stamping reported) until it's time for a new passport.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:17 AM, Nicknoodle said:

Ok thank you. I may try in Manila. 

Manila has also reported as being troublesome sometimes.  Good luck, if you try there.

The best suggestion above is the METV from Aukland.  You are lucky to live so close to Thailand, relatively to those of us from nightmare-long flights away.  Just be sure to check the rules so you can be sure to have all the required paperwork to satisfy them.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Rare, but it has happened to those with a Tourist Visa - but has ONLY been reported (in many years) as occurring at some airports and the Poipet/Aranya checkpoint.  Even 20K Baht cash-in-hand has not overcome the IO's determined-desire to deny-entry, in rare cases - though most denials were using the 20K Baht rule as an excuse, which is easily avoided.

@Nicknoodle- The Phnom Penh embassy has become difficult lately.  They require 3 to 4 days for processing, and have been reported to add "red stamps" on Visas they issue, even if you only have 2 other Tourist-Visas in your passport.  A "red stamp" is a little stamped-note saying, "This person frequently travels to Thailand on Tourist Visas...."  and it means you can no longer get a new Tourist Visa from that consulate, Vientiane, and possibly Penang and others. 

At present, the best time to get a Tourist Visa at Phnom Penh is on a fresh passport, so you won't get the red-stamp.  Then, maybe one from Penang, then HCMC, a couple from Vientiene, then Savannakhet (no red-stamping reported) until it's time for a new passport.

Manila has also reported as being troublesome sometimes.  Good luck, if you try there.

The best suggestion above is the METV from Aukland.  You are lucky to live so close to Thailand, relatively to those of us from nightmare-long flights away.  Just be sure to check the rules so you can be sure to have all the required paperwork to satisfy them.

You didn't follow the thread.

The original comment was;

To make it a certainty get the visa from your home country.

Which is correct.

The statement on that basis; 

That won't help him.

He can still be turned away for spending too much time in Thailand regardless.

is incorrect.

4 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You didn't follow the thread.

The original comment was;

Which is correct.

The statement on that basis; 

is incorrect.

The statement is not incorrect.

Even if someone is issued a visa (from wherever) it doesn't mean they will be given entry to the country. An IO can still deny entry with just cause.

• Like 1