Boris Johnson slammed over Islamophobic comments

webfact

The Koran, Torah and Bible (both Old and New Testaments) all say that women should dress modestly. Different sects of Islam, Judaism and Christianity have different views on what that means. (Other religions have similar sects with similar rules, but I'm talking about the three Abrahamic ones here.)

We've seen pictures of Muslim women in this topic already, so:-

Image result for orthodox jewish women's clothing

Some ultra orthodox Jewish women go further:-

Image result for orthodox jewish women's clothingImage result for orthodox jewish women's clothing

What about Christians?

The following picture comes from an Orthodox Christian website

13007366_1601060496884800_53350060844689902_n.jpg?w=816&h=9999

Of course, it is only a minority of all three religions who are as orthodox as this, most women from all three dress as they please.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I asked jak2002003 a question based on a remark he made:-

How is that laughable?

How did that prompt your question of me; which is essentially the same as that I asked jak2002003?

My point being that there are repressive regimes in the world; no one is going to deny that. Thankfully the UK is not one of those; and long may it remain so.

Because the entire statement is based on faulty logic and it goes against the entire concept of even common law unless you believe that law is to mandate good rather than protect from bad. In reality, the so called 'burka ban' is media mouth frothing frenzy. It should be illegal to force women to cover themselves because 'self regulation' doesn't seem to be working too well. If you object to women's freedom then have at it horse. I would rather not object.

1 minute ago, notmyself said:

Because the entire statement is based on faulty logic and it goes against the entire concept of even common law unless you believe that law is to mandate good rather than protect from bad. In reality, the so called 'burka ban' is media mouth frothing frenzy. It should be illegal to force women to cover themselves because 'self regulation' doesn't seem to be working too well. If you object to women's freedom then have at it horse. I would rather not object.

So you believe that the UK government should dictate what people can and cannot wear?

Because that seems to be what you are saying!

Most British Muslim women who wear a burka or niqab and have spoken about it say they do so of their own free will (look it up).

But then I suppose you'd say that they would say that because they are forced to!

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So you're saying because some countries have repressive laws which severely restrict individual freedoms, such what can and cannot be worn in public, that we should do the same?

Yes. If people will not respect OUR customs, they are being discourteous. It's not a style choice it's a statement. I don't wish to know what hocus pocus you believe in. Smile, say good morning and on your way.

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The Koran, Torah and Bible (both Old and New Testaments) all say that women should dress modestly. Different sects of Islam, Judaism and Christianity have different views on what that means. (Other religions have similar sects with similar rules, but I'm talking about the three Abrahamic ones here.)

We've seen pictures of Muslim women in this topic already, so:-

Image result for orthodox jewish women's clothing

Some ultra orthodox Jewish women go further:-

Image result for orthodox jewish women's clothingImage result for orthodox jewish women's clothing

What about Christians?

The following picture comes from an Orthodox Christian website

13007366_1601060496884800_53350060844689902_n.jpg?w=816&h=9999

Of course, it is only a minority of all three religions who are as orthodox as this, most women from all three dress as they please.

What's wrong with the "Christian" dress example? I don't get the point....

12 hours ago, dunroaming said:

That is fine if you are just another drunk in the pub.  But Johnson wrote this in a national newspaper.  This is Boris Johnson the MP who represents the people who voted for him.  If he wants to spout this sort of garbage as a private person then so be it, but to broadcast it as a sitting MP is a different level.

He has refused to apologise and May hasn't got the guts to suspend him (which he knows only too well).  I like Johnson as a bumbling buffoon and find him amusing.  In fact I thought the letter box comment was very funny.  But I like him as you like the pub drunk, not as someone who is supposed to represent the people.

If there were more people like him, representing the people of Europe, then we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. 

19 hours ago, DM07 said:

Interesting, how the right wing comes to the defense of women!

...Muslim women, that is!

Otherwise they really don't give two hot $41ts about women's rights.

Abortion should be handled by "god", lower wages for women of similar qualifications in similar jobs is fine and rape victims mostly ask for it!

But if a Muslim woman is wearing a hijab, it's the right wing to the rescue!

Liberals expose their hypocrisy in their defense of niqabs and burqas.  A symbol of ultimate misogyny and oppression, the removal of a woman's humanity and right to equality. The are dressed as if they are shameful and need to be hidden away, like some abomination. Liberals embrace what should be the greatest symbol of anti liberalism in the name of diversity and claim the real oppressors are westerners, whose logical disdain for such practices must be rooted in hate of anything not western in origin. Surely conservatives could not actual be acting in defense of women or the safety of communities. Put a pointed hat on those niqabs and you have the KKK, but the liberals would still embrace it.

Modern progressivism is nothing more than mass cognitive dissonance.

18 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Liberals expose their hypocrisy in their defense of niqabs and burqas.  A symbol of ultimate misogyny and oppression, the removal of a woman's humanity and right to equality. The are dressed as if they are shameful and need to be hidden away, like some abomination. Liberals embrace what should be the greatest symbol of anti liberalism in the name of diversity and claim the real oppressors are westerners, whose logical disdain for such practices must be rooted in hate of anything not western in origin. Surely conservatives could not actual be acting in defense of women or the safety of communities. Put a pointed hat on those niqabs and you have the KKK, but the liberals would still embrace it.

Blah, blah, blah - constantly posting right of centre BS.

Americans should keep an eye out for Johnson: he was born in the US, that makes him eligible to be POTUS.

Speaks like a fool?  check

Goofy hair?  check

White bigotry?  check

Maybe Boris should go have a chat with Putin, who may need to replace DT soon.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Please note the thread is about Islamaphobic comments, not whether Boris is a bigot or not.

Please note the following:

Any one making derogatory comments about others is a bigot. 

This thread is about johnson’s derogatory comments. 

Therefore, this thread is about johnson’s being a bigot.

(There is no “or not”). 

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes. If people will not respect OUR customs, they are being discourteous. It's not a style choice it's a statement. I don't wish to know what hocus pocus you believe in. Smile, say good morning and on your way.

What is this 'OUR customs' stuff? Even in the UK customs differ from area to area. 

In my home town of Dagenham it is the norm for ladies to dye their underarm hair and wear bikinis in pubs. In Portsmouth they still sing the national anthem. 

Other strange things occur wherever you go.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Ah, the definitive progressive rebuttal. Well played sir.

What else can one say to right wing weirdos who post complete and utter rubbish and their clique who 'like' the content. To quote you...

"Put a pointed hat on those niqabs and you have the KKK, but the liberals would still embrace it".

<deleted>! I say again, Blah, blah, blah - constantly posting right of centre BS

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

(There is no “or not”). 

Oh dear, here we go with the false logic as usual.

The syllogism fails with the first proposition, since no one on this thread will let you get away with asserting that a "derogatory" comment labels one inevitably as a bigot.

The fatuousness of this proposition emerges if you change the names around. 

If I say that Pep Guardiola is a jumping jackass who should be shipped off to the United Arab Emirates, am I a bigot?????   I may be an insulting sob but a bigot???

5 minutes ago, blazes said:

Oh dear, here we go with the false logic as usual.

The syllogism fails with the first proposition, since no one on this thread will let you get away with asserting that a "derogatory" comment labels one inevitably as a bigot.

The fatuousness of this proposition emerges if you change the names around. 

If I say that Pep Guardiola is a jumping jackass who should be shipped off to the United Arab Emirates, am I a bigot?????   I may be an insulting sob but a bigot???

I would never say that you are a bigot. 

I don't need anyones permission to assert those using derogatory language are bigots.

They are because they do. 

Choice of language determines what one is. 

7 hours ago, notmyself said:

It seems you accept a woman’s right to dress as she chooses so long as what she chooses is acceptable to

you (and the frothing media).

The hypocrites are out in full force once again. So what if someone wears one of these outfits? We supposedly live in a free society. What of the people of Walmart and their outfits, the slobs of Pattaya in their  stained singlets and too tight short shorts, kids in their "punk" outfits, the elderly Thai Visa  brigade in their 1970's era safari suits etc.?  How exactly does one of these outfits hurt anyone if someone  chooses to wear one?

Boris comes from the land of poor fashion choices and he really isn't  the one to offer fashion guidance.

image.jpeg.2dffe7772cd205926f3251c40beb92b9.jpeg

Related image

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I, as a "left leaning liberal", absolutely do not defend burquas or whatever!

I, as an atheist, condemn every kind of religious BS!

Still curious, though, that the right never cares for equal rights or women's rights, in "their own" western societies, but are always fast with "fighting" for the rights of Muslim women!

I assume: as soon as these women are out of Muslim oppression, they will be told by western right wingers, never to even think about abortions, to stop dreaming about equal pay and to dress "decently" in order not to provoke rapes! 

Double standard much?!

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

(There is no “or not”). 

Rubbish,he is not a bigot ,just saying it as it is , if people want to come and live in the west ,then do as we do ,if you do not like that then stay in a country that agrees with your "customs" are Muslims "bigots" in Saudi for saying women should not drive ,wear swimming costumes or short skirts ?

I think such remarks are OK for comedians but politicians should zip it. As far as the controversy about total cover of women, that's a legitimate political issue about whether to ban them in public or at least in certain public settings. The total cover is not mandated by Islam. It's a cultural thing. The idea is that men might get too excited seeing any flesh and not be able to control themselves. Maybe cover the men's eyes? 

I think burkas have the opposite effect, the chance the guy comes home with the wrong wife is most probable..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

What is this 'OUR customs' stuff? Even in the UK customs differ from area to area. 

In my home town of Dagenham it is the norm for ladies to dye their underarm hair and wear bikinis in pubs. In Portsmouth they still sing the national anthem. 

Other strange things occur wherever you go.

Is Dagenham in the U.K.?

14 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Rubbish,he is not a bigot ,just saying it as it is , if people want to come and live in the west ,then do as we do ,if you do not like that then stay in a country that agrees with your "customs" are Muslims "bigots" in Saudi for saying women should not drive ,wear swimming costumes or short skirts ?

British citizens have the right to dress as they like without bigots making derogatory comments on their choices. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

(There is no “or not”). 

aria1007brad.jpg?resize=560%2C347

Archived