Thaksin vows to fight for ‘democracy'

snoop1130

Both sides to this have issues...big issues. Thaksin is a self-serving populist and many say/think that the peasants are too self-centered, greedy, moronic or stupid to have a vote and have no understanding of the needs to make a country work. However, the opposite side are basically nasty fascists that only care for the elite and status quo, plus need a slave worker class to fuel their greed. I struggle to fall down on either side due to the obvious failings of both sides. If I was forced to choose then I find it difficult to support the elite Nazis tbh.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

1. Where / when did I make any statement that I approve......? 

2. Why would the Junta need to....... No comment needed.....

My mistake. I though that "All well said" in your reply to Bangrak's post meant an approval of his assumption that most Thai people actually prefered the Junta to previous politicians. I must have misunderstood it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, candide said:

It may have escaped your attention that my aim was not to incriminate anyone (I really don't need to, it has already been done many times), but to account for the fact that more red shirts have been compensated than yellow shirts (one reason given by the Dems in 2012 for complaining).

As for my name, it is in reference to Voltaire, as I have been much influenced by the "philosophies does lumières". Actually, I like Diderot too.

Apparently, you read French, so you may know this gem from Diderot:

https://lescoursjulien.com/les-adieux-du-vieillard-supplement-au-voyage-de-bougainville-chapitre-2-diderot-1796-commentaire

So you do know about the character 'Candide', don't you? And still? Well, up to you.

2 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Both sides to this have issues...big issues. Thaksin is a self-serving populist and many say/think that the peasants are too self-centered, greedy, moronic or stupid to have a vote and have no understanding of the needs to make a country work. However, the opposite side are basically nasty fascists that only care for the elite and status quo, plus need a slave worker class to fuel their greed. I struggle to fall down on either side due to the obvious failings of both sides. If I was forced to choose then I find it difficult to support the elite Nazis tbh.

Here we go again folks...

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

All well said.

Plus IMHO the general / his team are likely pushing the election date out again and again, as far as possible, hoping to eventually get to a date, a scenario where the ptp, reds etc., are so disjointed there is totally absolute definitively no chance whatever they can win an election even if they promise 'everybody will be rich in 6 months'. 

And when there is an election and if the ptp and reds lose, that perhaps will mean they totally disband and disintegrate, no chance of rebuilding because their paymaster not prepared any longer to throw away money. And when the 'no more funding' is confirmed how many of them will visit him in Singapore, HK, etc? How sad.

Also zero chance of amnesty for himself, his sister and perhaps also his son. How sad

Perhaps the general sees all of that scenario as his historic contribution to Thailand?

Don't you get it yet? The elite can smash, demolish anything to do with the colour red. However working (wo)men will still have their grievances. Maybe they will have the effrontery of wanting a couple of weeks' paid annual leave, maybe protection from the sexual advances of their managers or enforced overtime.

How are they wrong in wanting decency and a fair roll of the dice in 2018? Yes, Thaksin (probably unwittingly) let the genie out of the bottle, but here we are.

Yes, the military are winning for now and probably for a good while still to come. But it won't be forever, I hope...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangrak said:

So you do know about the character 'Candide', don't you? And still? Well, up to you.

I know the book "Candide" by Voltaire, to which my forum name refers (the book, not particularly the character), but Candide in this book is not hypocrite. In theater plays during the medieval period there was usually a character called "le naif", but he was not hypocrite either.

I think you confuse with "Le Tartuffe", who was definitely hypocrite.

I warn you! I am not going to change my forum name so that it better fits the way you depict me! ?

On 8/14/2018 at 12:15 AM, bangrak said:

...And an intelligent and well-educated person like yourself, is?

Acknowledging one's own ignorance is the beginning of wisdom' (or something like that, do apologize for my rusty ancient greek, I was taught in french on top of it...). Make that step for yourself, you'll discover 'ignorants' do know things you never thought possible, it will hurt your oversized ego quite a bit, but open worlds of wisdom to you.

Get real, it's never too late for that!

I am referring to censorship, Bangrak, which is merely the legal imposition of ignorance. I don't claim any special wisdom but I have broken the laws that dictate what knowledge I am allowed to seek. Join the dots.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, Baerboxer said:

No. Prayut hasn't run off (yet).

Nor did he promise to 'stand with you shoulder to shoulder when the first bullets fired" whilst really evacuating his family and going shopping in Paris. 

Your hero is as cowardly as they come.

Which hero are u talking about? Somdech Phra Debaratanarajasuda Chao Fa Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Rathasimagunakornpiyajat Sayamboromrajakumari is my hero for Thailand. A gentle and empathetic person who is a champion of the Thai people. If the opportunity arose I believe the nonsense going on with the staff would have to re-think their position.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 4:18 AM, Baerboxer said:

No. Prayut hasn't run off (yet).

Nor did he promise to 'stand with you shoulder to shoulder when the first bullets fired" whilst really evacuating his family and going shopping in Paris. 

Your hero is as cowardly as they come.

Another imaginary quote?