UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

11 minutes ago, rixalex said:

......And that is what the government promised.

So you trust politicians promises ? 

12 minutes ago, rixalex said:

If what the government meant to say was, "We are turning the decision over to you. We'll do as you instruct. Unless we decide your decision was wrong. In which case we'll simply ignore the vote and make our own decision", then that is what they should have said. They didn't.

They don't need to say that. It's implied by the system of democracy we live under in this country. 

1 minute ago, rixalex said:

Deary me. What a tangled web we weave.

Bet you never thought you'd see the day when you'd be defending the right for politicians to be duplicitous. Or maybe you did...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's not being duplicitous - it is their duty to do what they think is best  for their constituents, even if that differs from  the expressed preferences of those  constituents. This is how a representative democracy is supposed to work.

If anything it's Cameron who was duplicitous when he promised the referendum result would be implemented. 

Just supposing we get near the art 50 date and by then it has become obvious to all and sundry that it's going to be a disaster - Would you seriously expect any politician with an ounce of self preservation to turn to the masses and say " you voted for this, it's going to make you poor and unemployed, but  I'm giving to you anyway, because of what my predecessor promised"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

or....we'll make you vote again, until we get the answer we want.

Where have I heard that before? Lisbon treaty anyone? 

I'm amazed that people keep bringing up the Irish referenda on the Lisbon Treaty. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, they are a classic example of  a referendum result which was not a true reflection of the wishes of the people (due to ignorance of what they were voting for) being overturned massively by a further vote once this ignorance had been addressed. Certain parallels with the current situation, wouldn't you think?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Yesterday there was a bit of talk about tariffs post-brexit, and a quote from a supermarket exec saying the tariff for cheese imports to the UK would be 44%.

As far as I can make out, the exec is assuming that in a “no deal” scenario without a replacement free trade agreement, WTO rules will require the UK to take the current tariffs which the EU at present forces us to impose on imports from the rest of the world, and impose them on imports from the EU as well.

This is simply not the case, UK tariffs can be lower than the current EU tariffs or zero if we want.

Not according to the action being taken by the government.

"Yesterday, (July 24th) both the UK and the EU filed documents in Geneva outlining the terms they will use to trade with the rest of the world after Brexit - and the two submissions are fundamentally different."

"It needs to have that(Schedule) if it's going to strike trade deals. And the way that its approach is different from that of the EU is the UK wants to replicate its current trade WTO commitments(EU Schedule) by making just a few technical changes and then submitting it to the WTO for certification."

"He continued: "The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. I'm told several major countries are already planning to object to the UK's approach."

"All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/experts-explanation-trading-wto-rules-means/

In a nutshell the government wants to effectively retain the EU schedule so existing tariff levels would remain in place.

It is effectively 30 days since the documents were filed so another 2 months before we know how difficult the WTO option will be. Every chance that Nov will see the 11th hour, UK remaining in the SM under some guise of being out.

Edited by sandyf

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes, a decision based on a ballot paper, anything else means as much as the big red bus, that is what should be accepted by one and all.

The referendum result was based on ballot paper votes, and yet many are still trying to overturn the result - so I'm not sure of your point?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The referendum result was based on ballot paper votes, and yet many are still trying to overturn the result - so I'm not sure of your point?

I have seen very few proposing to overturn the result. The majority of the discussion has been on how to implement the result of the ballot paper in a sensible manner.

Leaving the EU(as per the vote) and remaining party to the SM I believe would be acceptable to the majority of the population.

• Haha 1

To the average brexiteer, standards mean very little, just more EU bureaucracy. 

CE marking is followed by several non-EU European countries to demonstrate that certain products are safe to be placed in local markets. The UK has benefited from mutual recognition agreements between the EU and ‘third countries’, such as Japan, Australia, New Zealand, USA and Israel. The EU has led the world in many ways on product safety and quality and CE marking has driven up standards outside of the EU. At a time when global supply chains and international markets are becoming essential, the UK will be at a disadvantage if it was to move away from such EU legislation that is now a leading global standard.

https://www.theiabm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/TechUK-Position-Paper-CE-marking-good-for-consumers-and-business.pdf

Just now, sandyf said:

I have seen very few proposing to overturn the result. The majority of the discussion has been on how to implement the result of the ballot paper in a sensible manner.

Leaving the EU(as per the vote) and remaining party to the SM I believe would be acceptable to the majority of the population.

Really?

You've missed all the 'the referendum was only advisory/can be overturned by govt/another referendum is required as the electorate has changed it's mind' comments?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really?

You've missed all the 'the referendum was only advisory/can be overturned by govt/another referendum is required as the electorate has changed it's mind' comments?

Taken out of context. The majority of comments were in response to pedantic views by leavers. The talk of a new referendum is based on how to leave the EU, not an attempt to overturn as is being made out.

About a week ago the Norway option was mentioned and most of the remainers on the forum seemed to be in favour.

There has been several different arguments at cross purposes which have muddied the waters.

Just now, sandyf said:

Of course, we live in a parliamentary democracy and governed by the rule of law, something brexiteers want to ignore.

Except parliament consists of MPs, that are only voted in by their constituents....

How many MPs do you think genuinely stand for idealistic beliefs (as opposed to self-serving....) - and therefore likely to put anything ahead of their own interests?

It needs to be remembered that the vast majority of constituencies voted to leave, even though their MPs supported remain....

Hence the ratification in parliament of article 50....

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which (IMO) is precisely why the govt. was forced into the position of activating article 50 - even though the vast majority of MPs supported the remain cause.

If votes had been counted in line with GEs - the leave vote would have been even 'stronger'.....  MPs aren't entirely stupid, and knew that many/most were in serious trouble of losing their 'seats' if they had voted against activating article 50.

Yes, but that flag-waving early invocation of art 50 without a plan may be the very undoing of Brexit.

We are still now without a plan 18 months later and it's becoming more likely every day that the only brexit available to us will be a disastrous no deal one. Politicians will be faced with the choice of facing the wrath of half the country   if they back out of it at the last minute or the wrath of most of the country if we brexit into chaos. My guess is they will chose the former.

If we had stopped, thought about our options  and come up with a sensible plan first, maybe something some of the remainers could have got behind, we might have be able to successfully brexit.  But no, they chose to ride the patriotic tiger,  which now threatens to devour them. Kama. 

Time is running out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Taken out of context. The majority of comments were in response to pedantic views by leavers. The talk of a new referendum is based on how to leave the EU, not an attempt to overturn as is being made out.

About a week ago the Norway option was mentioned and most of the remainers on the forum seemed to be in favour.

There has been several different arguments at cross purposes which have muddied the waters.

? Please keep UK way outside of EFTA/EEA, not desirable.

UK should look at the Swiss approach- would also suit the uk better

otherwise, totally agree with what you say about schedules/profiles in OMC/wto, high time the UK starts to work on this,

it takes time.

I said many pages and threads ago that it ain't sure that the OMC/wto gang will accept UK just dressing up with the EU clothes