UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I wouldn't mind betting that you would be very upset if the UK got a good deal from the EU.

I am just wondering why you seem to be the most vocal poster on this brexit discussion, we have had it for 2 years now and with every post your bitterness seems to increase. Is it because you fear what might happen to the EU with the departure of the UK.

Oh, my. There is no bitterness on my side. Are you trying to say that you don't like to hear alternative views of Brexit? Like some posters, who think that Brexit is Britain's internal matter?

I don't see any logic behind UK getting a good deal. I don't think we need to worry about that.

Fortunately this phase of Brexit 'negotiations' is soon over. After that we'll start really seeing what the results will be. 

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

One common feature of the contributions from European ‘remainers’ on here is the anti-British approach.

Brexit has never been anti-European (people or continent), it has always been solely  anti-EU.

Actually that is just response to the utter arrogance we have seen from the Brexiters. 

For example I have nothing against Brits in general. Why should I have for the country which admittedly gives us the best humour in the world.  I have a lot against arrogance and people who feel and show by their talk and actions they are above others, for any reason. That arrogance is what Brexit UK has been emitting since Brexit vote. It's ugly. 

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Oili should go and speak with the Greeks. 

I was half expecting some negative reaction because of the Brexit decision. I couldn’t have been more wrong; the people I spoke with seem to be watching the outcome with interest - and a degree of envy. Even in the more financially secure tourist areas there was a consensus that they wish they hadn’t joined the EU.

why do you think? dunno, but some factors;

a wind of independence is blowing in Europe now;

spain/barcelona and surroundings

scotland/uk

shetland has significant independence movements

the ongoing conflicts in belgium

guess there are more that I don't remember off hand

as for Greece, expressing

a wish for out is kinda similar to blame the austerity measures on EU

rather on their own mis-reporting

saying foook EU is much more attractive than saying, shit - we screwed up big time - and over years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Oh, my. There is no bitterness on my side. Are you trying to say that you don't like to hear alternative views of Brexit? Like some posters, who think that Brexit is Britain's internal matter?

I don't see any logic behind UK getting a good deal. I don't think we need to worry about that.

Fortunately this phase of Brexit 'negotiations' is soon over. After that we'll start really seeing what the results will be. 

As you are a non Brit it maybe very interesting for you...????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

As you are a non Brit it maybe very interesting for you...????

As European, yes, I'm quite interested what is happening to my country and why one part of it wanted to go away. We should not repeat the same mistakes which lead to Brexit. Then again, Britain has always had quite special relationship with EU.

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

As European, yes, I'm quite interested what is happening to my country and why one part of it wanted to go away. We should not repeat the same mistakes which lead to Brexit. Then again, Britain has always had quite special relationship with EU.

You are from...?

18 minutes ago, oilinki said:

But you seem more interested in the EU, and your country of Finland hardly gets a mention. 

We all know why the UK wants to leave the EU and it's not all down to economics. 

As for the UKs special relationship with the EU, I know it will be hard at first but time is a great healer. 

37 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Unfortunately, that is your perception.

The arrogance came from British (and EU) politicians who totally misread the mood of the people.

Since then, arrogance has come from those who believe that the will of the people (as democratically evidenced by the referendum result) can be ignored/overturned/changed/disrespected.

I'm ok with Brexit. I think it's horrid mistake, but it's going to happen anyway.

It's also very interesting to see what the aftermath will be. We all can learn from this experiment. 

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

But you seem more interested in the EU, and your country of Finland hardly gets a mention. 

We all know why the UK wants to leave the EU and it's not all down to economics. 

As for the UKs special relationship with the EU, I know it will be hard at first but time is a great healer. 

This topic and any Brexit discussion is about my country, EU. 

I meant that UK has had special love/hate relationship towards EU the whole time. Half in, half out. Now finally the labile position is going to be over and UK will be all out. That creates stability.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

There’s your mistake - and it explains a lot..

The EU is not a country (although I can see that lesser countries would want to view it that way) - it is an oligarchy... simple as that.

Actually no. That is what you have been told all your life. That's also why EU has never been very popular in UK. 

We'll see how things turn out. 

Seems like there is some kind of deal brewing.

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Actually no. That is what you have been told all your life. That's also why EU has never been very popular in UK. 

I think we can agree on that difference.

The UK voted to join the EEC - an economic alliance of similar nations. We never voted to be part of a federal Europe comprising 28 countries.

I am surprised  that Fins don’t have a stronger national identity.

• Like 2

So where do you come from...Your birth place...?

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is absolute garbage, It was nothing to do with the shareholders per se.

Some of the UK pension providers are required under their regulations to invest a certain amount of their fund in the FTSE 100 which in many cases would have included Unilever. 

If Unilever had move their London HQ then they would have lost their FTSE 100 listing and the pension providers would have had to sell their holdings. Large blocks being sold at the same time invariably brings the share price down, something Unilever decided to avoid.

You do talk nonsense "nothing to do with shareholders per se" If true, why did it fail, after individual shareholders and fund shareholders there is only Unilever......did they vote it down?

What part of Business Week's headline don't you understand 

Unilever CEO Misreads his Shareholders, to Their Cost

Instead, Unilever's ethics were crudely utilitarian. Its attitude was that while a minority was being disadvantaged, their sacrifice was worth it for the good of the majority. If a premium was due in theory, it wasn't necessary in practice. That was wrong and tactically flawed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-10-05/unilever-ceo-misreads-his-shareholders-to-their-cost?srnd=premium-africa

Some of those against the move were Swiss Asset Management, Legal and General, Aviva.

The Investment Association which represents hundreds of UK Fund shareholders said it welcomed the decision to scrap the move. Aviva which owns 1.4% of Unilever was against the move as was Legal and General citing "Significant client enquiries" 

Unilevers reasons for making a forced move are irrelevant. They don't own the Company , the shareholders do, 

Once again you demonstrate how much you enjoy perceived UK problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The UK voted to join the EEC - an economic alliance of similar nations. We never voted to be part of a federal Europe comprising 28 countries.

Convenient to forget that your elected governments participated in every step? All the relevant decisions could only be made with unanimity..........

Edited by damascase
Typing error
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I think we can agree on that difference.

I am surprised  that Fins don’t have a stronger national identity.

I'm fine with disagreeing. It doesn't even matter anymore as UK is leaving.

Some Finns might have a strong national identity. I personally don't understand why to worship a land (which is half a year frozen) under my feet where I happened to born, when I have all the world to explore and enjoy. I don't select my friends based of their nationality, but their personality. Relatives are a bit more trickier to select ????

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Some Finns might have a strong national identity. I personally don't understand why to worship a land (which is half a year frozen) under my feet where I happened to born, when I have all the world to explore and enjoy. I don't select my friends based of their nationality, but their personality. Relatives are a bit more trickier to select ????

I understand that view.

Given that many of us here have chosen Thailand as our place of domicile then the home roots cannot go that deep.

Blood is obviously thicker than water in Finland as well.. ????

If you don't care about your own home country then why are you interested in us Brits on this thread...?

I am sure you don't care about us if you don't care about your own...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

If you don't care about your own home country then why are you interested in us Brits on this thread...?

I am sure you don't care about us if you don't care about your own...

I am interested of EU and care about EU. 

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

I am interested of EU and care about EU. 

And as an EU citizen it can be very interesting to see how Brexit is developing. Never thought the UK could make such bad decisions and be so incompetent about handling the situation..

But I do care about the UK; it'll make a nice holiday destination when the pound has lost much of its value....

And the UK will always be welcome to reapply for EU membership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

And as an EU citizen it can be very interesting to see how Brexit is developing. Never thought the UK could make such bad decisions and be so incompetent about handling the situation..

But I do care about the UK; it'll make a nice holiday destination when the pound has lost much of its value....

And the UK will always be welcome to reapply for EU membership.

What country are you from..?

31 minutes ago, damascase said:

Convenient to forget that your elected governments participated in every step? All the relevant decisions could only be made with unanimity..........

Yes, every step of deception.

• Like 1