UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

But a soft Brexit is not Brexit. David Cameron said before the the referendum that it meant leaving the single market, everybody was well informed no matter what remainers believe was said.

Soft Brexit does not deliver on your version of what Brexit is.  And I might very well agree because surely the whole point of Brexit is to regain sovereignty lock, stock, and barrel.  Soft Brexit does not do that.

But crucially, prominent Leavers glossed over the single market issue by promising a Free Trade deal equal to that and even better than the single market. There is no getting away from this...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

But it is enactable, either via a free trade deal solution as proposed by Barnier-Tusk and Johnson & co, or via a no deal exit which gets to the global free trade solution faster albeit with more short term pain.

The irony is that Labour, by their commitment to vote down any deal, is making a no deal more likely.

Chequers doesn't deliver on the referendum and neither does the EEA option.

Futher referendums, revoking A50, and the like are pie in the sky.

'The irony is that Labour, by their commitment to vote down any deal, is making a no deal more likely.'

You're surely not laying this fiasco at Labour's door.  It's the opposition's duty to hold the Government to account.

I'm not sure all of Labour will vote the deal down.

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

But it is enactable, either via a free trade deal solution as proposed by Barnier-Tusk and Johnson & co, or via a no deal exit which gets to the global free trade solution faster albeit with more short term pain.

The irony is that Labour, by their commitment to vote down any deal, is making a no deal more likely.

Chequers doesn't deliver on the referendum and neither does the EEA option.

Futher referendums, revoking A50, and the like are pie in the sky.

The referendum vote was a simple in-out vote - nowhere was it defined how we leave.

The current impasse is derived from TM's red lines which nobody voted for.

If you insist that people voted only for FTA or no deal options  you are insisting that people voted for the destruction of the British car industry and the loss of up to one million jobs - do you really believe that ?  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

323 pages from those who don't even live in the UK....quite remarkable.

Those of us who are British are in this sh1t together, even if we don't live in the UK. 

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

But a soft Brexit is not Brexit. David Cameron said before the the referendum that it meant leaving the single market, everybody was well informed no matter what remainers believe was said.

David Cameron said that. Other said something differently. The ballot paper didn’t mention any specifically at all. And, technically, leaving the EU is something completely different than any future relationships. 

So what does “respecting the referendum result” actually mean when everyone had a different understanding about what he’s voting for or against? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

David Cameron said that. Others said something differently. The ballot paper didn’t mention any specifics at all. And, technically, leaving the EU is something completely different than any future relationships; you can very well leave the EU (which will happen anyway) and then strike a deal to stay in the single market with its four freedoms. 

So what does “respecting the referendum result” actually mean when everyone had a different understanding about what he’s voting for or against? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Go back to the original referendum vote - which was to leave.

There was no 'hard/soft' brexit option on the ballot paper, just leave - yes or no - and the result was 'yes - leave', as already pointed out in my previous post:-

But no one - with the exception of a few nut jobs - thought  they were voting for the chaos of a no deal, no transition brexit.

The only thing that is forcing us into this situation is the red lines  - nobody voted for those either 

Therefore if you insist the referendum result must be respected, you should insist that the red lines are abandoned  so a brexit deal can be reached.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

323 pages from those who don't even live in the UK....quite remarkable.

In all fairness Ronnie, I think that the majority are Brits, but I can understand why some of our European friends would be peeved to see us leave. ????????

But a lot of us still have ties in the UK and may want to return some day.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

So why don't we have another vote if YOU don't like the party voted in Government..?

The present Government is ruling with bought Irish votes.. With your stance on voting then there should have been a second general election, well shouldn't there...?

I don't quite understand your logic

GEs happen after a set period, or after a vote of no confidence. How can I influence that?

If you are referring to the EU referendum, it was a farce and has resulted in a pantomime. It is clearly moronic to lose what we have in return for intangible and unceasingly unlikely benefits.

I think a people's vote will enable parliament to overturn a moronic decision by the people.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Go back to the original referendum vote - which was to leave.

There was no 'hard/soft' brexit option on the ballot paper, just leave - yes or no - and the result was 'yes - leave', as already pointed out in my previous post:-

So who’s deciding what was on the ballot paper and how people were supposed to interpret it? You? The Brexit campaign? Boris? Is that really how we “respect” democracy? 

18 minutes ago, tebee said:

The referendum vote was a simple in-out vote - nowhere was it defined how we leave.

The current impasse is derived from TM's red lines which nobody voted for.

If you insist that people voted only for FTA or no deal options  you are insisting that people voted for the destruction of the British car industry and the loss of up to one million jobs - do you really believe that ?  

> Yes a simple in-out vote, out providing control of money, borders, laws and trade.

> I certainly agree that May has created a mess; I think she was possibly trying to appease remainers, but there are many theories on her position. I haven't kept a list of her red lines, but the ones that get referred to frequently are consistent with the leave vote: just a shame that she has reneged on several of them. It's not her red lines that have made the mess, it's her reneging on them.

> FTA is a key outcome of the leave vote. You are catastrophising again, the British car industry will not be destroyed. Interesting to note that the British car industry was the 2nd largest in the world in the 1950s.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

"However, the referendum was not binding, regardless of any verbal assurances. I can post the original act if like?"

And yet the govt. told the electorate that they would 'enact the referendum result' (or words to that effect).

I'm sure another poster can post the relevant part of the govt.'s leaflet - send to every household - if you like?

Seems a bit pointless though, as we've had this discussion on the forum many times already....

Show me something legally binding

Did you trust something written by a politician?

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

He said it on the Andrew Marr show.

David Cameron confirmed Sunday that he will pull Britain out of the single market if there is a vote to leave the European Union at the upcoming referendum.

The prime minister told the BBC’s Andrew Marr show that it would be impossible to copy the Norwegian model by remaining inside the trading bloc despite being outside the EU because that would mean accepting freedom of movement and trade rules made in Brussels.

https://www.politico.eu/article/david-cameron-bbc-andrew-marr-ill-pull-uk-out-of-the-single-market-after-brexit-eu-referendum-vote-june-23-consequences-news/

So, he didn't actually say what you said he'd said. You need to be accurate when quoting.

To counter concerns over single market access, prominent leavers promised a Free Trade Deal the equal and indeed better of what we already had.

Moreover, a Free Trade Deal was sought, and only recently did it become downgraded to an FTA.  I remember posters on this forum who may now argue that it is simple in or out, being the most vocal on just how a Free Trade Deal was inevitable.  It was so central to negotiations that the EU used the idiom ' to have your cake and eat it too'.

Where is that Free Trade Deal?  Quite rightly people are angry.

Edited by mommysboy

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Profiteers don't seem to know or probably dont even care about the cultural benefits of EU mmembership.

Britain will be a "cultural jail" as a result of Brexit.....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-orchestra/brexit-drives-eu-youth-orchestra-from-london-to-italy-idUSKBN1CG1MK

Pathetic! Why not just have a totally inclusive European Youth Orchestra and pull the damn politics out of culture, at least? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you not realise there WAS a peoples vote.....????

Of course there was. Do you think that over two years on, with what we have all learnt since, the same result would occur?

I think if a deal was done to limit free movement of labour there would be a super majority to stay would result. But you know that really, don't you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Your first and second paras. are contradictory.

Virtually all politicians and msm insisted that a leave result would be immediately catastrophic.  Their 'pie in the sky promises' were far worse than the leave campaign's.  Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' springs to mind - and quite possibly resulted in a few getting annoyed enough at this type of propaganda to result in them voting leave, even if they'd been unsure previously....

The electorate (correctly) didn't believe them, and voted accordingly.

Two wrongs never made a right.  I hold passionate Remainers equally in error. Lies were made on both sides. We can't sit down and cancel out the whoppers on both sides and conclude everything is ok.  But the lies of Leave side are rather more salient, since they won.

There is nothing contradictory in my posting.  I am saying UK wanted to leave but central to that desire was a Free Trade Deal.  The heart said Leave (very important that), but the head said Free Trade deal.  There is no burger without either the bun or the meat.

I am saying a second referendum won by Remain can not possibly deliver a final resolution.  This should be obvious to everyone, since it neither cancels out the validity of the first, or deals with the problem at hand.

lastly I am saying when in fact something is undeliverable, then the deal also ceases.  This is a fundamental concept in law, which operates formally or otherwise in every transaction we make.  It operates in the playground when we were kids swapping bubble gum cards, and will happen today in some boardroom.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Pathetic! Why not just have a totally inclusive European Youth Orchestra and pull the damn politics out of culture, at least? 

The article says the orchestra relies on EU funding. Only fair it is based in an EU country, not the UK.