UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why do you always feel the need to resort to insults against those with a different opinion?

Anyone with any intelligence at all would, by now, have realised that an 'argument' devoid of comment - and consisting only of insults - is pointless ????.....

...It is, however, generally the preserve of those without any real argument. 

Sorry Grouse, I appreciate and enjoy some of your posts, but I have to agree with Dick, here. You're not the worst to be fair.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

This same ideology applies to education of the future generations. One can think about it in a selfish way - there will be enough money to pay for our pensions and health expenditures once we reach the pension age. 

The really old people, who are already enjoying pension, don't necessarily care about the future of the nation as their futures are most likely secured for now. But their kids futures are not secured. 

I'm not at all sure I'll ever receive pension. If the social security system goes down as there is not enough people paying for it, well.. I read somewhere that breathing helium is a good way to go in case I get cancer or kidney problems. 

There is truth in this: older white males were one of two cohorts that mainly swung Brexit and arguably have little or no 'skin in the game'.  It's youngsters who will pay for any downside.  And this on top of the credit crunch which will knock most people back 20 years, and this happened under the oldies custodianship too (perhaps a mere unfortunate coincidence).

To confer balance, I'm not sure that an orderly exit and trade deal will have such a negative effect on the economy, however it won't take the main problem away, which is a fundamentally poor government with little idea of social equality, and no vision beyond making multi-nationals even wealthier.

2 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Slow down my little europhile remained friends

See mogmentum he is much more popular than you think! Like a posh Trump!

I really don’t care too much about what the elite say I want my country wrestled from foreign control. And do not want to be part of the EU army which remainers fibbed about and said it wasn’t planned.

Mog Farage and Gove should be knighted for their efforts in exposing the evil EU.

You repeatedly push a minority agenda forward as if it were the will of the majority; it simply isn't and no amount of spin, manipulation, deflection, and specious argument, will make a jot of difference.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Anderson shelters in the yard too.

We were poor and my Mum and Dad always rented and always paid the rent on time. I used to get free school meals but was never picked on as there quite a few of us at the primary school in the same position.

I joined the RAF and for the next 25 years I always had somewhere to live. I bought my first house in 1984 and sold it for 100% profit 4 years later after a couple of years of negative equity. Sold that in 1988 and bought another and sort of lived there as I was starting to work internationally and lost it in 1998 during my divorce. I used to stay with friends when I wasn't working as a contractor, remarried in 2000 and we built this place in Thailand in 2003.

If I am forced to return to the UK then I will need somewhere to live while waiting for a council house possibly with my wife and son assuming that my income will be high enough to get her into the country. 

The boy did good! 

I am surprised you vote the way you do though.  Just from a basic viewpoint they support the poor and disadvantaged- NHS for instance.  And even now, it would appear that it would be easier for you to return to UK under Labour.  JC also appears to support the ending of the frozen pension.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, billd766 said:

And how many people didn't even bother to vote at all.

If they were that interested they would have got off their arris to vote. 12,922,901 voters just couldn't be bothered so their votes were not counted.

Of the 33,551,983 people who could be bothered 17,410,742 voted to leave and 16,141,241 voted to remain. Now when I went to school the leave voters won the referendum. 

Now you can argue until the cows come home, but more people voted to leave than remain but it was the will of the people to leave.

It was the highest turnout of voters for years at 72.1%, far surpassing that of the past general elections going back many years.

Results

Votes%

Leave17,410,74251.89%

Remain16,141,24148.11%

Valid votes33,551,98399.92%

Invalid or blank votes25,3590.08%

Total votes33,577,342100.00%

Registered voters/turnout46,500,00172.21%

To be fair, a number of us (I suspect) decided not to vote as we weren't sure for various reasons.

i.e. the eu has many faults and no intention to reform, but at least they've made a minimal effort to protect workers rights - but we feared that any uk govt. wouldn't even attempt to care for those at the 'bottom'.  As per previous experience....

*I've come to the belated conclusion that this is to protect the lowest paid eu 'foreigners' in wealthy countries....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Thank you kindly, Patriot. It's high time people woke up to the facts and took opinion and emotional reaction out of it. 

I say 'rant' because at times I'm a bit verbose and this can understandably turn people off. ???? It's difficult to convey one's feelings about such a complex situation concisely, however.

Patriot1066 and facts? I haven’t seen this combination yet.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sorry, still catching up on the thread!

But in response to the comment - if only ☹️.

I was very happy with my old Nokia as it was easy to 'phone/message/take photos and videos/set alarm clock etc. - which was more than I expected from 'a 'phone', but easy to access and 'work out'.  My PC/laptop was all I needed for internet functions.

Unfortunately, I was forced to change to a smartphone that only complicates the easiest functions (as mentioned above).....

Entirely off topic obviously, but I've no idea why you felt the need to insult those of us who have no need or interest for the latest smartphones.

I am also one of those non-smart-phone-feature users, and the sod from hong kong insults us?

modern smartphones doesn't work in the environment in which I am using phones

I do not know of any farang doing the same as me, but I know lots of Thais,

none of them has a modern smartphone

27 minutes ago, transam said:

I have never heard a Brit refer to a Brit as a "Pommy"....????

Trans, melvin is a smart Scandinavian that doesn't normally throw cheap jibes at us, unlike some others that will remain anonymous. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Thank you kindly, Patriot. It's high time people woke up to the facts and took opinion and emotional reaction out of it. 

I say 'rant' because at times I'm a bit verbose and this can understandably turn people off. ???? It's difficult to convey one's feelings about such a complex situation concisely, however.

Many Brexeteers are verbose as we have high attainment of understanding our motherland including use of the language in all its glory????

Well done one on your excellent well researched post!

Edited by Patriot1066
Spelling

52 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The boy did good! 

I am surprised you vote the way you do though.  Just from a basic viewpoint they support the poor and disadvantaged- NHS for instance.  And even now, it would appear that it would be easier for you to return to UK under Labour.  JC also appears to support the ending of the frozen pension.

Yea real good well done!

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Trans, melvin is a smart Scandinavian that doesn't normally throw cheap jibes at us, unlike some others that will remain anonymous. ????

Thanks for the heads up.....Seems another I have to put on the back burner...Wonder why he is on this thread....????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Thanks for the heads up.....Seems another I have to put on the back burner...Wonder why he is on this thread....????

He is very informative, he's a very experienced poster, he should be most welcomed.

18 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Remoaners actually put store by these sort of things.

Ask someone a question and they will usually answer it.

”Are you in favour of the death penalty” would probably have a similar result if remoaners were questioned.

""Are you in favour of the death penalty” would probably have a similar result if remoaners were questioned"

Seems more than likely - but remainers will (no doubt) studiously ignore this point!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

sorry

and

thank you

I did mean English though, never discussed EU with Scots or Welsh, I think

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

There would have been plenty of money for pension if the successive governments had ring fenced it and invested the money.

Funnily enough when I was working and paying national insurance it never bothered me that I was helping to pay for pensions for my parents and other older people. 

Part of your problem is that you assume that older people don't care about younger people. Who do you think are the parents and grandparents of the younger generation?

That their children and grandchildren future is not assured is not due to the older generation who have paid taxes all their lives and many still do but to the stupidity of successive governments not investing the money.

Don't worry about not getting a pension. You are an EU citizen and the EU always looks after its own.

"There would have been plenty of money for pension if the successive governments had ring fenced it and invested the money.

Funnily enough when I was working and paying national insurance it never bothered me that I was helping to pay for pensions for my parents and other older people. 

Part of your problem is that you assume that older people don't care about younger people. Who do you think are the parents and grandparents of the younger generation?

That their children and grandchildren future is not assured is not due to the older generation who have paid taxes all their lives and many still do but to the stupidity of successive governments not investing the money."

????

• Like 1

The boy did good! 

That the left helps the poor and disadvantaged is a lie promoted by the press. The left does nothing but pander to the poor at the expense of the middle class creating ever more poor and fewer and fewer middle class.

It’s happening in the US now. Most everyone used to get their GREAT medical care as a benefit through their employer. Now the working man gets the same crappy coverage as the “disadvantaged” and has to pay for both his and the “unfortunate’s” family.

Most big-business in the US and the multinationals that have operations in the US support the left.

Import millions of low and no skilled people that are often illiterate in their native language much less English. Get the “state” (i.e. the working man) to pay their medical expenses, their kid’s education and subsidize everything else.

That should keep wages low enough to keep everyone (but of course the working man) happy.

Make a lot of noise about taxing the greedy rich but tax the working man an extra $1.50 a gallon for gas so he can sit in traffic and watch the rich blow by on the $10 expressway.

Kill cheap energy and get the working man to pay for some silly windmills, and for a solar installation on his rich neighbor’s roof, which will reduce the rich guys bill, and increase the working man’s bill. Of course the the cost will go up so much the “unfortunate” will have to get it free from the “state” (i. e. the working man)

Yeah, the rich lefty feels really good about himself when he can help the “unfortunates”. That it’s done on the backs of the working man, and that the “unfortunates” will generally become part of a permanent underclass makes no difference. Lefty is nothing if not well intended, and it’s the thought that counts don’t ‘cha know...

Oh, make sure you have the press in line with a solid method of hammering down anyone that disagrees....

Sorry, rant over.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Anderson shelters in the yard too.

We were poor and my Mum and Dad always rented and always paid the rent on time. I used to get free school meals but was never picked on as there quite a few of us at the primary school in the same position.

I joined the RAF and for the next 25 years I always had somewhere to live. I bought my first house in 1984 and sold it for 100% profit 4 years later after a couple of years of negative equity. Sold that in 1988 and bought another and sort of lived there as I was starting to work internationally and lost it in 1998 during my divorce. I used to stay with friends when I wasn't working as a contractor, remarried in 2000 and we built this place in Thailand in 2003.

If I am forced to return to the UK then I will need somewhere to live while waiting for a council house possibly with my wife and son assuming that my income will be high enough to get her into the country. 

Well spotted Bill, they demolished some prefabs and built some new houses so we effectively moved across the road. My father had the workmen move the Anderson shelter to the new house and it is still there to this day.

There was also many of us in the same boat but there was unspoken segregation, not that anyone knew what the word meant in those days, the kids from 'snob hill' did not mix with the kids from the huts.

As you know I also went in the RAF, my father effectively kicked me out when I left school as there were 3 of us in one bedroom. I did my interview at Cardington when I was 15 but they wouldn't let me join straight away and was deferred to Jan 64, I worked in the woods cutting firewood for the 6 months prior. Once in the service life became a whole lot better, but never financially, couple of messy divorces saw to that. Getting ripped off by a woman is not unique to Thailand, in fact probably better of now in general terms than I have ever been.

Going back as a couple is not an option as my wife wouldn't want it, a couple of weeks is more than enough for her, so every chance I will end up scattered across the garden, probably just as well as the way things are going it is unlikely I could afford a funeral in the UK.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

It is an essential service.

You have a very distorted view of essential. There are only 6 GPS systems worldwide, US,EU,China,Russia,Japan and India and you believe that it is essential that the UK creates a 7th, more important than peoples health and well being.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I am also one of those non-smart-phone-feature users, and the sod from hong kong insults us?

modern smartphones doesn't work in the environment in which I am using phones

I do not know of any farang doing the same as me, but I know lots of Thais,

none of them has a modern smartphone

Agree entirely with your first sentence, but am very jealous that you have been able to continue with your old (2G?) 'phone!

I was forced into buying a 'smartphone' when the AIS system was 'pushing' 3G - as my Nokia kept losing the connection (many times a day...) forcing me to go through the fiasco of re-connecting, many times every day....

22 minutes ago, nontabury said:

My God, so he’d another none Brit, who likes to lecture us on the benefits???? of paying into this none democratic so called Union. There does seem to be quite a few of them on these threads. I wonder why.

never offered you any benefits

never pointed to any benefits that eu offers uk, me thinks