UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Yes those 3 nations were screwed over because they are members of the Eurozone. What has that got to do with the UK's membership in the EU?

Also, Greeks did not vote 62-38 percent for independence. That's simply false. They did vote to reject the terms the EU imposed on them. But in fact, in subsequent elections. leaving the Eurozone or the EU was, to put it mildly, not a popular option..

tend to agree

also my understanding is that Greece is clear that she wants to stay in EU and the Eurozone.

as for Italy, I expect lively exchanges between EU and Italy in times to come, opera can be entertaining.

I think this canterbury creature and a few others are a bit over the top re blaming EU now,

there is hardly any doubt that EU dragged Ireland and Portugal out of poverty

no doubt EU played a major role in sorting Spain post fascism

(Italy is Italy - special case when it comes to politics and institutional matters, so is Austria OPERA is more fun)

done some good stuff some not so good stuff

greece and debts, greece signed on voluntarily, wanted to stay in both EU and the Eurozone

Fastnet -79 was not EUs fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Well considering BOTH Ireland and Greece voted to leave via referenda but were not afforded that right, and that Italy looks increasingly likely to leave the Eurozone, (if allowed) I'd say your question is more than a little redundant. A referendum in Italy in the next year or two would be very interesting to see. I wouldn't mind betting that there would be a repeat of the UK ref. in 2016, with a similarly narrow margin FOR LEAVING. If the stagnant economy and fractured political class / system continues to descend along it's current trajectory I think it will spell the end of Italian membership - of the Eurozone at the very least - which would cause untold calamities and would mean the end of the Euro, (long overdue) which would in turn be the fatal blow to the EU, so bring it on I say!

tend to agree

also my understanding is that Greece is clear that she wants to stay in EU and the Eurozone.

as for Italy, I expect lively exchanges between EU and Italy in times to come, opera can be entertaining.

I think this canterbury creature and a few others are a bit over the top re blaming EU now,

(Italy is Italy - special case when it comes to politics and institutional matters, so is Austria OPERA is more fun)

greece and debts, greece signed on voluntarily, wanted to stay in both EU and the Eurozone

Well considering BOTH Ireland and Greece voted to leave via referenda but were not afforded that right, and that Italy looks increasingly likely to leave the Eurozone, (if allowed) I'd say your question is more than a little redundant. A referendum in Italy in the next year or two would be very interesting to see. I wouldn't mind betting that there would be a repeat of the UK ref. in 2016, with a similarly narrow margin FOR LEAVING. If the stagnant economy and fractured political class / system continues to descend along it's current trajectory I think it will spell the end of Italian membership - of the Eurozone at the very least - which would cause untold calamities and would mean the end of the Euro, (long overdue) which would in turn be the fatal blow to the EU, so bring it on I say!

tend to agree

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

tend to agree

Whatever the good effects of the EU may be, I don't think it has anything to do with the Euro. Poland sailed right through the recession thanks to it not being part of the Eurozone. Ireland certainly would have been better off also. 

Greece did want to stay on but that's at least partially because of the vindictive policy championed by Germany to protect its big banks. The most humane policy would have been to help Greece leave the Eurozone. Portuglal too. Those were the 2 cases where the debt in question was incurred by governments that ought never to have been in the Eurozone in the first place. In the case of Spain and Ireland, the EU made governments responsible for bank loans to the private sector that went bad. Completely unjustifiable.

The bailout wasn't really a bailout of Greece but of the banks that foolishly lent it money. Or rather what should have been foolish. But most likely they were counting on the EU to bail them out. Which is exactly what happened.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Right it was the EU that cut taxes on the wealthy in the UK and slashed support for the NHS, Social Services, and the Police. Definitely the EU's policy to turn the UK into a mini-USA.

Obfuscation - and you have avoided answering some of my points above too.

I have made quite a few to be fair, and I recognise that you at least debate, unlike the vast majority, but still the above has nothing to do with what I was saying or quoting. I make no attempt to overlook or assign blame elsewhere for the issues created at home by British governments. That would serve to exculpate the British politicians of their responsibility, a idea I wouldn't give any credit to.

EU directives do however, have a wide-reaching effect across Europe and have over the decades, impinged more and more on our sovereignty. The major reason they have not had more of an effect on the nation fiscally/economically is only because there was just enough common sense around to avoid joining the Eurozone - a pillar of the EU project after all. 

57 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

No, the UK would not be partly responsible for any such debt incurred the EU. That was settled during the last financial collapse. The EU briefly tried it on, the UK said no, and that was that. There was no mechanism the EU could impose to afflict the UK. However, the UK would still be responsible for a share of Greece's debts incurred through the IMF. But if the issue is that important to you, maybe you should support the UK exiting from the IMF as well.

In the interest of resting my fingers for a while, and having more pressing matters to attend to, I will have to retort later on. It is a complicated and broad topic, and one I would need to take some time to formulate a considered reply to, which I will as I disagree with some of what you say here, other than exiting from the IMF funds.

And as for the moral concern,

UK tried to muscle Iceland into being responsible for the losses incurred by UK citizens with accounts in Icelandic banks

I don't have any issue with this statement - I would agree with you - it is amoral and wrong and I didn't support it. But it is not strictly comparable to what has happened in places like Greece as I have referenced, and as I said, I believe the UK government/BoE and other financial institutions have to shoulder their part of the blame and this behaviour is indeed illegitmate and out of order.

The results of your search won't please you. You could start with Italy.

Ha! I have looked many times BB, and turned up vastly divergent info. I place little faith in the majority of 'polls' as they seem to be so utterly inept at predicting outcomes or accurately gauging public opinion - as we learned in the last 2 years and some. A national referendum in Italy and a few other EU nations such as Hungary and Poland could perhaps be on the cards in the forseeable, I wouldn't like to bet what the result would be, it may well be close, but I wouldn't be so sure it would go the way you expect it to either. Especially if the shit continues to hit the fan in the Eurozone / Schengen bloc.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Jeez, if you're going to insult me at least get my name right. ????

33 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Nebulous as usual.

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Obfuscation - and you have avoided answering some of my points above too.

I have made quite a few to be fair, and I recognise that you at least debate, unlike the vast majority, but still the above has nothing to do with what I was saying or quoting. I make no attempt to overlook or assign blame elsewhere for the issues created at home by British governments. That would serve to exculpate the British politicians of their responsibility, a idea I wouldn't give any credit to.

EU directives do however, have a wide-reaching effect across Europe and have over the decades, impinged more and more on our sovereignty. The major reason they have not had more of an effect on the nation fiscally is only because there was just enough common sense to avoid joining the Eurozone - a pillar of the EU project after all. 

In the interest of resting my fingers for a while, and having more pressing matters to attend to, I will have to retort later on. It is a complicated and broad topic, and one I would need to take some time to formulate a considered reply to, which I will as I disagree with some of what you say here, other than exiting from the IMF funds.

I don't have any issue with this statement - I would agree with you - it is amoral and wrong and I didn't support it. But it is not strictly comparable to what has happened in places like Greece as I have referenced, and as I said, I believe the UK government/BoE and other financial institutions have to shoulder their part of the blame and this behaviour is indeed illegitmate and out of order.

Ha! I have looked many times BB, and turned up vastly divergent info. I place little faith in the majority of 'polls' as they seem to be so utterly inept at predicting outcomes or accurately gauging public opinion - as we learned in the last 2 years and some. A national referendum in Italy and a few other EU nations such as Hungary and Poland could perhaps be on the cards in the forseeable, I wouldn't like to bet what the result would be, it may well be close, but I wouldn't be so sure it would go the way you expect it to either. Especially if the shit continues to hit the fan in the Eurozone / Schengen bloc.

If the politicians in charge in Italy agreed with you, why haven't they been pushing for such a referendum? In fact, they are asserting that they support no such thing.  In France Marie Le Pen actually threw out the anti-Euro faction of her party because it was so unpopular with the base. I don't agree with the support of the Euro in either country, but I don't confuse my views with theirs. 

If a vote for the future  independence of a country isn't important, then what is?

The EU didn’t run any “vote for the future independence”. Still the EU is wasting resources on this circus. Be a bit more grateful. 

They're simply called borders, there is no 'closed' connotation anywhere other than in your and a worrying amount of other's addled minds. The UK isn't proposing to become Bhutan or North Korea. Legal immigration and import is and always will be important and desired, despite certain wild assumptions to the contrary.

Common sense and experience dictates its a necessity to have immigration / customs checkpoints, but having a properly manned and independently controlled border is of course crucial - it's a fundamental part of being sovereign, after all. Borders are what define a country's geography, remit and jurisdiction, that should be a simple and obvious enough concept to wrap your head around, but it clearly isn't for some.

You still didn’t realize that reality looks a bit different (Ireland)? Congrats. 

Nowhere else in the world does the absurd framework of the single-market/free movement of people coupling that the EU imposes on its increasingly despairing member states, exist. NOWHERE! I wonder why that is? If you want to study, work, trade or retire in a foreign European country then simply apply for the relevant visa as you would anywhere else in the world AND as was the case and happened daily and without issue for many, many years before Maastricht.

I don’t care what other countries are doing. Europe is doing pretty well; I’m sure many countries would love to join. In fact, didn’t quite some countries decided to join? Can’t be that bad after all. Let’s see how the U.K. will be doing ???? 

To put it concisely -

I offer some fine examples of why this point is so laughably ludicrous: 

Nothing laughable about it. The EU does not have a mandate to fix a member state’s problems, apart from certain membership rules maybe, which we can see in the case of Italy and Greece. 

I only pray the UK can remove itself from this mess - as definitively as possible - as soon as possible.

Can you please just do it and not waste our resources? We are entertaining you circus for 2+ years now, with another two or so years to come. Out means out, I understood. 

• Thanks 1

If a vote for the future  independence of a country isn't important, then what is?

The EU didn’t run any “vote for the future independence”. Still the EU is wasting resources on this circus. Be a bit more grateful. 

They're simply called borders, there is no 'closed' connotation anywhere other than in your and a worrying amount of other's addled minds. The UK isn't proposing to become Bhutan or North Korea. Legal immigration and import is and always will be important and desired, despite certain wild assumptions to the contrary.

Common sense and experience dictates its a necessity to have immigration / customs checkpoints, but having a properly manned and independently controlled border is of course crucial - it's a fundamental part of being sovereign, after all. Borders are what define a country's geography, remit and jurisdiction, that should be a simple and obvious enough concept to wrap your head around, but it clearly isn't for some.

You still didn’t realize that reality looks a bit different (Ireland)? Congrats. 

Nowhere else in the world does the absurd framework of the single-market/free movement of people coupling that the EU imposes on its increasingly despairing member states, exist. NOWHERE! I wonder why that is? If you want to study, work, trade or retire in a foreign European country then simply apply for the relevant visa as you would anywhere else in the world AND as was the case and happened daily and without issue for many, many years before Maastricht.

I don’t care what other countries are doing. Europe is doing pretty well; I’m sure many countries would love to join. In fact, didn’t quite some countries decided to join? Can’t be that bad after all. Let’s see how the U.K. will be doing ???? 

To put it concisely -

Nothing laughable about it. The EU does not have a mandate to fix a member state’s problems, apart from certain membership rules maybe, which we can see in the case of Italy and Greece. 

I only pray the UK can remove itself from this mess - as definitively as possible - as soon as possible.

Can you please just do it and not waste our resources? We are entertaining you circus for 2+ years now, with another two or so years to come. Out means out, I understood. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If the politicians in charge in Italy agreed with you, why haven't they been pushing for such a referendum? In fact, they are asserting that they support no such thing.  In France Marie Le Pen actually threw out the anti-Euro faction of her party because it was so unpopular with the base. I don't agree with the support of the Euro in either country, but I don't confuse my views with theirs. 

I don't think the majority of politicians do want a referendum (besides perhaps Grillo and Five Star) just as the majority of politicians in the UK didn't want to have one or to leave either - the EU is a gravy train - a post UK-politics career path for many of them. I do know that there are large parts of the Italian public who are getting very p****d off with the state their country/economy is in and have no love-loss for the EU or the Euro. The growing frustration and palpable dislike for the policies of the EU and a move to exit the Eurozone are undeniable in my view.

'I don't agree with the support of the Euro in either country, but I don't confuse my views with theirs.' - Fine, we agree on that then. The French and Germans have a different view of the EU and the Euro to the Italians, for reasons that are numerous and many of which historically based. The one thing I take issue with is the implication you make that my views are nationalistic and akin to those of rabid Front Nationale supporters whom are often racists - as I'd concede UKIP probably has a few of too. Don't lump me in with these morons.

• Like 2

To put it concisely -

37 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Whatever the good effects of the EU may be, I don't think it has anything to do with the Euro. Poland sailed right through the recession thanks to it not being part of the Eurozone. Ireland certainly would have been better off also. 

Greece did want to stay on but that's at least partially because of the vindictive policy championed by Germany to protect its big banks. The most humane policy would have been to help Greece leave the Eurozone. Portuglal too. Those were the 2 cases where the debt in question was incurred by governments that ought never to have been in the Eurozone in the first place. In the case of Spain and Ireland, the EU made governments responsible for bank loans to the private sector that went bad. Completely unjustifiable.

The bailout wasn't really a bailout of Greece but of the banks that foolishly lent it money. Or rather what should have been foolish. But most likely they were counting on the EU to bail them out. Which is exactly what happened.

For once - I am in total agreement with you.

• Like 1

To put it concisely -

11 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Jeez, if you're going to insult me at least get my name right, a lack of attention to detail seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. ????

Nebulous as usual.

for weeks and weeks, you have been writing pages down and pages up about how you see the world,

and that way is the way the world should be and the way all OK people should see it

and you refer to all others as nonsensers and nitwits ad non-knowers

you feel you have to correct all views expressed you don't agree with by another page full or two

with your view of the world, interspersed with insults re the mental capabilities of those that feel otherwise

you constantly downplay and pull into doubt the intelligence of people expressing views that doesn't suit you,

you are a menace, maybe your name is Dennis - dunno

My post was not intended to insult, I just find that you and your likes are getting over the top re unsubstantiated 

negatives - I have no idea about your name, maybe Roger maybe Refrigerator or Dennis or Cecil Cyril, dunno

If you could pipe down a bit, this thread would be a more comfortable thread to follow.

You are taking up to much space and try to do too much commandeering.

'

There should be room for other views than yours. on bar stools, in TVF and in UK

And to round off,

bloody annoying all this call for proof proof proof link link link source source source,

should be possible to exchange views in piece and quiet among grown ups without this proof-link-source crap,

that is more suitable for not grown ups, kindergarten - primary school and thereabouts

And,

nothing unclear about Fastnet-79.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Jeez, if you're going to insult me at least get my name right, a lack of attention to detail seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. ????

Nebulous as usual.

for weeks and weeks, you have been writing pages down and pages up about how you see the world,

and that way is the way the world should be and the way all OK people should see it

and you refer to all others as nonsensers and nitwits ad non-knowers

you feel you have to correct all views expressed you don't agree with by another page full or two

with your view of the world, interspersed with insults re the mental capabilities of those that feel otherwise

you constantly downplay and pull into doubt the intelligence of people expressing views that doesn't suit you,

you are a menace, maybe your name is Dennis - dunno

My post was not intended to insult, I just find that you and your likes are getting over the top re unsubstantiated 

negatives - I have no idea about your name, maybe Roger maybe Refrigerator or Dennis or Cecil Cyril, dunno

If you could pipe down a bit, this thread would be a more comfortable thread to follow.

You are taking up to much space and try to do too much commandeering.

'

There should be room for other views than yours. on bar stools, in TVF and in UK

And to round off,

bloody annoying all this call for proof proof proof link link link source source source,

should be possible to exchange views in peace and quiet among grown ups without this proof-link-source crap,

that is more suitable for not grown ups, kindergarten - primary school and thereabouts

And,

nothing unclear about Fastnet-79.

• Haha 1

To put it concisely -

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

So we get to stay in the CU but without any say and our workers can't work there any more.......... only a complete moron could suggest that is an improvement

From what I’ve heard on the news this morning, the rights of the 3 million E.U citizens now in the U.K will be protected,along with the rights of the 1 million Brits now in the E.U. So a pretty good deal for the E.U. Especially as many of them will soon be eligible for British citizenship,and therefore able to vote in our elections.

• Like 1