UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I  originally said "single export" and I have already said I used the top 200 figure, what exactly are you finding so difficult.

and from your own link "The following searchable table displays 200 of the most in-demand goods shipped from the United Kingdom during 2017.

Most in demand is different from Largest export commodities of the United Kingdom (UK) in 2017 (in million GBP

But at least both stats do agree that Machinery including computers: US$68 billion (15.3% of total exports) is the largest export item

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Have to admit that I haven't read the 'agreement' though, and would be interested to learn whether it means the uk will no longer pay into the eu after the 39bn payment.

£39 million is for our existing commitments to the end of the current spending round.

Agreement does not specify our future relationship -this is still to be decided and depending on that our future contributions will be decided - we need pay for using things like common standards and Joint use of agencies.

There will be a (infinite?) transition period first - everything will stay the same including our level of contributions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting that May compares herself to Geoffrey Boycott. He may have eventually got the runs, but wasn't he generally in the end dismissed, often after having run out some of his partners along the way? Perhaps she knows something we only suspect.

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

£39 million is for our existing commitments to the end of the current spending round.

Agreement does not specify our future relationship -this is still to be decided and depending on that our future contributions will be decided - we need pay for using things like common standards and Joint use of agencies.

There will be a (infinite?) transition period first - everything will stay the same including our level of contributions. 

I'm looking forward to reading how those 'commitments' were calculated to arrive at a figure of 39bn.....

"There will be a (infinite?) transition period first - everything will stay the same including our level of contributions."

Precisely - leave in name only.... Edit - PLUS a 39bn payment to the eu!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

Mogg said he would leave the UK if we didn't 'leave', in his terms the draft isn't leaving in any meaningful sense so if it gets through can he and his spawn do the decent thing and sling his hook and follow his hedge fund to Dublin where he can spout British exceptionalism to the natives to his heart's content. That will go down well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm looking forward to reading how those 'commitments' were calculated to arrive at a figure of 39bn.....

"There will be a (infinite?) transition period first - everything will stay the same including our level of contributions."

Precisely - leave in name only....

Exactly in the end as I predicted about 400 pages ago I said we would remain, the great unwashed wouldn't be allowed to drive the Bentley they thought they had just bought. I shall be selling Ollie Robbins calendars with a month missing to represent what we have a all lost in the end. The leaving stickers should have 20XX on them and then some angry statement. If the gammon riots as a consequence then it'll be bacon for them. It's not about winning the battle but the war in the end. 

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Precisely - leave in name only....

The figure of 39bn is calculated precisely to put the 'wind up' in anyone else thinking of leaving.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

And paid...Government bribery and corruption afoot!

I believe that website has nothing to do with any government. 

It's a company which creates online polls and sells the data to medias.

"At the heart of our company is a global online community, where millions of people and thousands of political, cultural and commercial organisations engage in a continuous conversation about their beliefs, behaviours and brands."

On 8/10/2018 at 7:11 AM, Bluespunk said:

And I think if people want a final vote on the final deal that is in place before brexit is done, then they should have one. 

At least this time people will have a better idea of the consequences of brexit.

Why so scared?

You must be sure you’ll win again. 

This one made me laugh. You hear it over and over again from Brexit zealots ... a new vote would have the same result ... but then argue that it should not be allowed. What are they so scared of? A leave vote would end the debate once and for all, and if they are so confident of winning they should be champing at the bit to do it, right? 

If May’s plan is rejected the choice will be a new vote or an election ... one that a divided Tory party will surely lose. So a second referendum it is ... by rejecting May’s deal control goes back to Parliament. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with rich people some of my friends are pretty wealthy indeed - not a Brexiteer amongst them though strangely enough. JC would probably cost me dear though I like the man personally - he seems to be a man of integrity. Brexiteers should be aware the more they destabilize the UK with their shenanigans the more like it is we could see a Corbyn government and what little wealth you may have may well go into the wringer and a pound at maybe 30 baht. That ought to concentrate minds and hearts. These days the less time I spend in Thailand the better so the baht isn't my major concern. 

37 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

No, angry that those who want a no deal Brexit are happy to see others suffer ... whilst they are cashing in on the chaos they have wrought.

Have you got a link on these 4 MPs as to how they are cashing in on the chaos, or are you speculating Alex?

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

The Mail now Dacre's gone packing is hugely pro May today - time to get behind her , realise the narcissists rebellion lies in tatters and this bar a few minor concessions is the best deal we can get. All good patriots should get behind her lest we get something far worse. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6399741/DOMINIC-SANDBROOK-Iron-Lady-wouldnt-got-better-deal.html

Mr Rees-Mogg and his cronies may welcome the prospect of a no-deal Brexit. But they are precisely the people who claimed that the EU would roll over in the negotiations. They were wrong then. Why should they be right this time?

In reality, a no-deal Brexit would be an economic and political calamity worse than the Winter of Discontent in the Seventies, worse than the three-day week and potentially even more damaging than the Great Depression.

A chaotic Brexit would also risk handing power to Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, who would seize the chance to send Britain lurching to the far Left, with horrific and irreparable consequences for millions of ordinary families, as well as for our global reputation, international allies and the future of our economy.

7 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The Mail now Dacre's gone packing is hugely pro May today - time to get behind her , realise the narcissists rebellion lies in tatters and this bar a few minor concessions is the best deal we can get. All good patriots should get behind her lest we get something far worse. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6399741/DOMINIC-SANDBROOK-Iron-Lady-wouldnt-got-better-deal.html

Mr Rees-Mogg and his cronies may welcome the prospect of a no-deal Brexit. But they are precisely the people who claimed that the EU would roll over in the negotiations. They were wrong then. Why should they be right this time?

In reality, a no-deal Brexit would be an economic and political calamity worse than the Winter of Discontent in the Seventies, worse than the three-day week and potentially even more damaging than the Great Depression.

A chaotic Brexit would also risk handing power to Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, who would seize the chance to send Britain lurching to the far Left, with horrific and irreparable consequences for millions of ordinary families, as well as for our global reputation, international allies and the future of our economy.

A good friend of mine works for the Daily Mail and it is true that with the new man in place they are taking a much softer approach to May and the Brexit issue.  As you can imagine there are some at the paper who are very upset by this change of direction and some (like my friend) who welcome it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nontabury said:

No problem with that. Even N Farage agrees that we should allow those with the required skills, be allowed into the country. But not an open boarder. 

Regarding immigration, we should have copied the Australian system, unfortunately we do not have political leader in the U.K that ???????? possesses.

We just keep regurgitating Neville Chamberlin. 

an Englishwoman who lived in Berlin during the First World War, in her memoir published in 1921, recalled hearing German general Erich Ludendorff praise the British for their bravery and remembered hearing firsthand the following statement from the German General Headquarters (Grosses Hauptquartier): "The English Generals are wanting in strategy. We should have no chance if they possessed as much science as their officers and men had of courage and bravery. They are lions led by donkeys."[12]

100+ yrs, and nothing has changed.

The fact that these "lions" keep voting for "donkeys" doesn't say much for the UK electorate.