8 large-sized dams now under watch

webfact

By Thai PBS

2-Kanchanaburi-Dam.png

The Office of National Water Resources is keeping a close watch on eight large-sized dams which are holding water at alarming levels, ONWR secretary-general Somkiat Prajumwong said on Friday.

Mr Somkiat said the eight dams are Nam Phung dam in Sakon Nakhon, Lam Pao dam in Kalasin, Chulabhorn dam in Chaiyaphum, Ubonrat dam in Khon Kaen, Vajiralongkorn dam in Kanchanaburi, Pranburi dam in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nam Un dam in Sakon Nakhon and Kaeng Krachan dam in Phetchaburi.

In particular, water in both the Nam Un and Kaeng Krachan dams is now 103% of their holding capacities. Mr Somkiat said agencies concerned have been instructed to discharge excessive water from these dams. Governors in respective provinces are now playing a central role in issuing flood warnings and launching relief operations.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/8-large-sized-dams-now-under-watch/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-10

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Reading the headline, I thought it must be the government's Number Two - Prawit had taken charge? Especially as "agencies concerned have been instructed to discharge excessive water." He's had recent experience of that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I went to the Kaeng Krachan dam yesterday to see what was happening there. This is where the "MP" was on Wednesday.

basically they created a temporary spillway made of huge pumps and pipes on the second earthen dam. The primary spillway was running wide open and a huge amount of water was crashing into the power station.

the water on the temporary spillway was starting to undermine the road at the base of the dam and culvert under it.

about two feet of flooding on both side of the river.

Thais were lining up to take selfies.

Actually the Thais do more things than taking selfies and been keyboard warriors, just for your information and knowledge. Have a look down below, just for a recent example. It is just that one has to have ones eyes AND mind open to see the big picture.

Phuket-bound foreign divers rescued from canal
PHUKET: Two foreign divers relying on a GPS to guide them back to Phuket took an unplanned plunge when a flash flood swept their vehicle off a back road in Thung Yai district and into a canal on yesterday afternoon (Aug 9

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bound-foreign-divers-rescued-from-canal-68204.php#fJoc4vK4l8Irp8Wl.99

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, ravip said:

Actually the Thais do more things than taking selfies and been keyboard warriors, just for your information and knowledge. Have a look down below, just for a recent example. It is just that one has to have ones eyes AND mind open to see the big picture.

Phuket-bound foreign divers rescued from canal
PHUKET: Two foreign divers relying on a GPS to guide them back to Phuket took an unplanned plunge when a flash flood swept their vehicle off a back road in Thung Yai district and into a canal on yesterday afternoon (Aug 9

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bound-foreign-divers-rescued-from-canal-68204.php#fJoc4vK4l8Irp8Wl.99

Interesting post, although I'm unsure of its relevance. Maybe I missed the part where NCC said that the only thing Thais do is take selfies, or are you implying that he lied about people taking selfies at the dam??

Thailand gets plenty of water on the average.  The trick is to manage it.  As they burn down more trees, build more houses, the natural water time lags decrease, less flora is around to absorb and hold and store water.  They could do like Los Angeles California did, just on a larger scale.  Some large scale river and dam management is needed.  Then some good sized aquaducts to transfer the water to areas that are dry. Gosh, they get so much rain, but then they still have droughts.  Get some serious hydrologists in there, or consults from US army corps of engineers, or the dutch or somebody with large scale experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Practically every time i try and check the dam water levels at Thaiwater.net i get a 404 not found message. I wonder if they are trying to hide something ......

This works for me 99% of the time, what they are saying and what is fact appears to differentiate :shock1:  http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, webfact said:

The Office of National Water Resources is keeping a close watch on eight large-sized dams which are holding water at alarming levels,

IMPOSSIBLE!

They told me last week not to worry.

Everything was cosy.

Sweet.

Hunky dory.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, CGW said:

Getting ridiculous! Scaremongering or what?  Udon-Rat dam is at 31% yet it is "holding water at alarming levels" is that low or high levels?

Indeed not very alarming over all at the moment.

And the two cited (Nam Oum, Kaeng Kachan) are puddles compared to the big ones.

I see only three in red digits that are really significant:

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

(Sri Nakarin, Wachiralongkorn[Vajiralongkorn], Ratchaprapa)

Edited by KhunBENQ