Reflux 80% better in Canada

22 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I get these warnings from every second poster. I had endoscopy 3 years ago and I'm guessing this would be obvious and noticed. No, I got hernia which I'm sure is a cause of my problems.

I was very concerned about Barrett's and did ask a doctor about it, but he assured me it takes decades to develop. Him being Thai it is possible that he was just giving me mai pen rai, so I'm still a bit concerned sure.

Sheryl, how often should an endoscopy be performed? Am I due for another one? Doc wanted to give me abdominal MRI last time I saw him,  but I was against that. 

It depends on the clinical picture. As there is a clear known cause of your GERD (hiatal hernia), esophagus was normal at endoscopy 3 years ago  and your symptoms are now improving I think most doctors would not feel a repeat endoscopy indicated.  But certainly discuss your concerns with your GP in Canada.

BTW have you lost weight since return to Canada? Even a small weight loss can dramatically improve GERD. 

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It depends on the clinical picture. As there is a clear known cause of your GERD (hiatal hernia), esophagus was normal at endoscopy 3 years ago  and your symptoms are now improving I think most doctors would not feel a repeat endoscopy indicated.  But certainly discuss your concerns with your GP in Canada.

BTW have you lost weight since return to Canada? Even a small weight loss can dramatically improve GERD. 

No. I was never overweight to begin with. Don't drink, don't smoke. If anything I eat more here as food doesn't give me as many issues as in Thailand. Even the sweet stuff doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like some of you have GERD, and you can deal with that with changing your diet and excluding fried foods,  (Thailand is full of them) booze, acid producing foods like pineapple and orange juice, and many more. There is something called AlkaBase which one friend has been on for two decades....you buy it out of California. Also Chinese herbs can help, but you have to know what you are doing. Ultimately it is the failure of the valve running between the stomach and the throat. When it goes wrong for me it is the worst feeling in the world.....death would be more fun. But by experimenting with different foods you can find what works or doesn't work for you....we are all different so you have to be your own doctor. Good luck.