How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

2 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Thailand averages 60 plus road deaths a day, it hold the world record for road deaths for a good reason. You may be the best and safest bike rider in the world but the Thais are the most dangerous and worst drivers in the world. As safe as wrestling with rattle snakes, good luck you'll need it.

So Mr scaremonger how many of those 60 + a day are big bike riders let alone farangies please inform us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Thailand averages 60 plus road deaths a day, it hold the world record for road deaths for a good reason. You may be the best and safest bike rider in the world but the Thais are the most dangerous and worst drivers in the world. As safe as wrestling with rattle snakes, good luck you'll need it.

Yes but thats not on the Mountains Roads , Hi Ways n Countryside Areas  one Tours, which the Topic is about. Its not that bad if you stay Frosty.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
14 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

So Mr scaremonger how many of those 60 + a day are big bike riders let alone farangies please inform us.

60+ a day should give everyone an idea of how dangerous the streets are.

Obviously you can make a statistic like 1,000,000 foreigners visit Thailand per time x and only y of them die while in Thailand so the chance is high that you survive it.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

60+ a day should give everyone an idea of how dangerous the streets are.

Obviously you can make a statistic like 1,000,000 foreigners visit Thailand per time x and only y of them die while in Thailand so the chance is high that you survive it.

Yes, You do love statistics, but there not related to the Topic. Its TOURING.!!!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Could you give some specifics on why you think that based on your motorcycle touring experience in Thailand?

Try adding a little bit of humour to your plan mate

Edited by oldlakey
  • Like 1

I traveled around Thailand and Cambodia on motorcycles and scooters'
I made about 100,000 km until now. When my kid was about 3 years old,

I went on a motorcycle with him and my girlfriend from Phuket to Siem Reap and back

and many other long-distance trips

I never have any accident ... just have to drive like a sapper and will be ok .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kannot said:

and Fannys  yer Aunt, remember round every corner could be a  COW, a  PARKED PICK  UP,   NO ROAD,        A  30CM  DEEP  HOLE,   A  PACK OF  DOGS, A 100 Goats, etc etc on the straight sections expect anything even the road to turn to gravel for 10-20 metres, no warnings  for any BIG  holes and I mean BIG

I once came upon a transmission axle in the  middle  of the road and a 1.2m x 1m cage for keeping  some animals in.

Go slow expect ANYTHING, think of the stupidest most dangerous unbelievable thing and the THAIS  will go one better.

Pfffff, you stress so much mate...retirement houses in Europe are a better place for you, all safe and clean there.

I drove 60.000 km on a scooter in BKK and have seen it all i think...from big trucks driving on the guardrail between the ringroads untill somchai loosing a load of ice because his tricycle broke in 2...

The only way to keep control in your own hands is by driving faster than the rest. If not they'll come from the back which is my pest hate....

There's absolutely nobody on the roads who cares for safety, even not the police...And don't think your own security makes it better, i even got the electric barrier boom on my visor while passing the one to our home.

When will mr Prayuth finally start doing something about roadsafety?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

Pfffff, you stress so much mate...retirement houses in Europe are a better place for you, all safe and clean there.

I drove 60.000 km on a scooter in BKK and have seen it all i think...from big trucks driving on the guardrail between the ringroads untill somchai loosing a load of ice because his tricycle broke in 2...

The only way to keep control in your own hands is by driving faster than the rest. If not they'll come from the back which is my pest hate....

There's absolutely nobody on the roads who cares for safety, even not the police...And don't think your own security makes it better, i even got the electric barrier boom on my visor while passing the one to our home.

When will mr Prayuth finally start doing something about roadsafety?

Can I suggest you keep well away from level crossings

No, is the answer to your question as you would surely remember signing your own death certificate, unless you were a highly functioning zombie.

Wouldn’t one have to be a high functioning zombie to sign their own death certificate?

Don’t worry, nothing will happen unless it does, and if it does, it will likely be someone else’s fault, and they will feel really bad if they kill or maim you...

Be sure to wear cool looking sunglasses and slippers that don’t blow off and you should be okay

• Like 2

Wrong question. Should have asked if it's safe to ride a m'bike in Thailand.

Don't say how long been in LOS- do you speak Thai so if you break down you can speak to the rural folk that probably don't speak English?

Are you aware of the death rates of m'bike riders in LOS?

Do you know that Thai roads are never cleaned, so every corner is a potential sand trap?

Do you realise it's too hot to wear protective clothing, except helmet?

Do you have a Thai m'bike licence, or at least an intenational driving permit and excellent insurance?

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, sidjameson said:

Very inexperienced

The most significant thing you wrote. Get a lot of experience and then try, but even then it won't save you. Most of the bike riders killed in LOS have been on bikes since they can stand up ( I've even seen a new born being carried while the driver used one hand on the handlebars ).

If you want to see the countryside, most places have local buses, which allow you to see the scenery without risking your life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Or you could simply die at your Keyboard killed by Microsoft, possibly killed more folks from sedentary lifestyle.than Touring on a Motorcycle .!.??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Dying from inactivity is usually preferable to being maimed and dying slowly after being run over by a 10 wheeler truck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you realise it's too hot to wear protective clothing, except helmet?

5 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Perforated leathers are fine.

I did more than a few long road trips wearing a t-shirt, blue jeans and a skid lid when I was first riding the Harley. I noticed that most of my Thai friends wore full helmets and heavy leather jackets. I thought they must be absolutely roasting in all that gear.

For various reasons, I too now wear a heavy leather jacket, gloves and a full face (modular) helmet. It only really gets hot when you go for extended stretches at slow speeds (like riding on side roads through small villages or through heavy traffic in cities). I was surprised at how it didn't really bother me as much as I thought it would.
Usually, when I'm on the highway, I pull into a gas station (or wherever) and everything is great (heat-wise). Go for a whizz, grab something to drink, back on the bike and go without even needing to take the jacket off (maybe just unzip it).

One thing I did start doing though was carrying one of those large insulated "mini-thermos" coolers that look like a small ice bucket with a removable lid and a straw hole. Fill that with ice and when I get to my next stop I usually have a cup of ice cold water in it and then I can add more water or dump a bottle of Coke in there. Very refreshing !

Wearing the safety gear is just smart. A little discomfort (maybe) wearing the gear or a lot of discomfort (for sure) if you wipe out. 

• Like 2

The most significant thing you wrote. Get a lot of experience and then try, but even then it won't save you. Most of the bike riders killed in LOS have been on bikes since they can stand up ( I've even seen a new born being carried while the driver used one hand on the handlebars ).

If you want to see the countryside, most places have local buses, which allow you to see the scenery without risking your life.

Yeah, they never crash, do they!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well experience counts for a heck of a lot. Be confident, use defensive driving techniques, always be alert. Keep at a speed that goes with the traffic flow. Ride too slow and you might get bullied out of the way. Always expect the unexpected because it often happens here. Of course much of the above may count for nothing to an inexperienced rider but I ain't your nanny so good luck and enjoy??

Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mogandave said:

Wouldn’t one have to be a high functioning zombie to sign their own death certificate?

Yes and also to post on the forum, so your correct on both points.  Perhaps he's the miracle zombie the world has been waiting for?