Video: Pick-up hits 30 million baht McLaren - one of only three in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a total ride off that's why he's not upset, insurance will pay him out the 30 Million in about a weeks time?

I'm in the insurance industry and i can tell you with no uncertain terms, he won't be getting a 30 million payout. The car is not totalled. 

If the guy in the truck doesn't have insurance with high enough limits, the sport car drivers insurer will pick up the rest of the cost of the repairs. Only if the car is totaled would they get the full amount of the current value of the car -- not what it cost to buy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

I'm in the insurance industry and i can tell you with no uncertain terms, he won't be getting a 30 million payout. The car is not totalled. 

If the guy in the truck doesn't have insurance with high enough limits, the sport car drivers insurer will pick up the rest of the cost of the repairs. Only if the car is totaled would they get the full amount of the current value of the car -- not what it cost to buy. 

It appears my comment went straight over the top, i.e. I was taking the pi$$

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

"Only if the car is totaled would they get the full amount of the current value of the car -- not what it cost to buy. "

No, not full amount of current valuer, but full amount as mentioned on the policy.

I have no sympathy for someone driving a status symbol, especially when they are racing on public roads.  You get a couple of idiots racing on a highway and suddenly everyone around them becomes a race car driver.  Including the truck driver who was following these morons at excessive speed.  Boo hoo.

Edited by connda
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

If the guy in the truck doesn't have insurance with high enough limits, the sport car drivers insurer will pick up the rest of the cost of the repairs.

That's interesting to read.

I often thought what would happen if I crash such a hisomobil.

In the west (Germany) policies are way higher (xx million Euro) to literally unlimited (with some "clauses").

4 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

What a fuss. A couple of scratches on the bumper. A little paint, buff and polish, sorted.FB_IMG_1534124811898.jpg

A couple of decades ago a bit of 'tet' sand and spray would make it like new.  Today there's so much stuff stashed away in electronics and whatever they're controlling, a minor prang can easily be a write off.

I mean, if you're in the market for a Maclaren type item, would you buy new or say "ah, history says only one crash, I'll go cheap"?  Someone will buy that at auction for 200Kbaht, buy a new switch which is part of a package part_ID that's 4 mill, and this 'n that and it comes to new cost (that's where the power of eBay and a bit of nous can work wonders if you know your onions).  Well, except that you can divide the price by 3 if you're buddies with the import officer on that shift.

If Thailand made supercars...I'd buy a Carlesberg.

From the Insurers point of view, they must be pleased as punch that everyone and their aunty have a dash cam.  People are paying to give info that they can save costs on - Brilliant! 

4 hours ago, impulse said:

This is a perfect example of why normal drivers shouldn't be subject to the liability of having to pay for someone else's $$$$ toy in case of an accident. 

Strange logic...

If drivers have insurance, which should be mandatory, the insurance company will be liable.

Now you can make the case insurance premiums will be high if there are cars worth 30m baht driving around, but that will be compensated by charging the owners of these cars astronomical insurance premiums. I don't think the driver of the McLaren pays 1,100 baht insurance every month (or whatever amount the average driver pays).

Going further with your logic: buses should also not be allowed on the road anymore as they are normally valued over 1.5m baht, as well as trucks, and what about houses build close to the road? Maybe tear them down also in case you drive your car into one. And maybe remove all people from the road also, cause if you cripple a person with your car it can cost the insurance company a good 5-10m baht also for hospital bills.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Most pick ups are driven with no load in the bed so no real grip at the rear wheels or are overloaded ending up with the front wheels on the verge of waving about in the air. Plus tyre pressures that are way over the limit required.

The archaic wishbone suspension these vehicles on have to have on the rear end to keep them in a low tax bracket hardly helps the rear wheels stay in contact with the road either! 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No no!

Has to be flown to manufacturers site for special repair by the one and only mechanic approved.

No less than a million.

:cheesy:

(not meant serious, but don't expect that this car will go to some arbitrary body shop)

Surprised to read that the pickup driver is blamed most.

The two irresponsible racing pricks shortened his path.

Motorway 7 is NOT a race track.

And it's another proof why pickups are NOT safe cars.

Long break distance, immediately flying off the path on a full break (no ABS you can bet, no electronic helpers).

do you have a licence, I haven't seen any proof that they were speeding, its cleat the pickup driver was not on the ball 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a total ride off that's why he's not upset, insurance will pay him out the 30 Million in about a weeks time?

How do you know his insurance will declare it a write-off?, surely not!

4 minutes ago, Netease said:

do you have a licence, I haven't seen any proof that they were speeding, its cleat the pickup driver was not on the ball  

I did the 100'000 km on Thai roads yesterday on one of my cars (can't count the rest since the 80s in Europe).

Again: motorway 7 is not a race track.

You defend nidicolous driving like this and I am afraid you have a license too. Are you Thai?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

I have no sympathy for someone driving a status symbol, especially when they are racing on public roads.  You get a couple of idiots racing on a highway and suddenly everyone around them becomes a race car driver.  Including the truck driver who was following these morons at excessive speed.  Boo hoo.

Did I miss something how do you know they were speeding, just because someone said so

13 minutes ago, CGW said:

The archaic wishbone suspension these vehicles on have to have on the rear end to keep them in a low tax bracket hardly helps the rear wheels stay in contact with the road either! 

Wish bones or Ferguson struts front and cart spring rears on pick ups is the reality and the problem with first road holding and secondly with handling. Two very different things. 

Road holding, think heavy truck stuck to the road by weight. Handling, think about the ability of the suspension to react to changes in direction and weight transfer on cornering.

17 minutes ago, CGW said:

whats it got to do with how a pickup stops I thought the driver controls how his pickup stops regardless of its condition

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Netease said:

I  not only have a license but also some experience what the orange signs long before the accident say. Even can read Thai.

REDUCE SPEED!

Construction site ahead.

And some responsible drivers took note and slowed down.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I did the 100'000 km on Thai roads yesterday on one of my cars (can't count the rest since the 80s in Europe).

Again: motorway 7 is not a race track.

You defend nidicolous driving like this and I am afraid you have a license too. Are you Thai?

where did I defend speeding read my post again I said there was no proof of speeding, everyone's guilty in your eyes