Foreign tourists to Thailand should be made to have insurance: poll

webfact

Foreign tourists to Thailand should be made to have insurance: poll

Travel1.jpg

Foreigners visiting Thailand should be required to have travel insurance, that’s according to people responding to a straw poll carried out by Thaivisa.

At the time of writing more than 1,800 people had voted in the poll, which was posted on the Thaivisa Facebook Page on Sunday.

69 percent of people voted ‘yes’ that they think travel insurance should be made mandatory for foreigners visiting Thailand.

31 percent voted ‘no’ indicating they were opposed to the idea of mandatory travel insurance.

tvisa3.jpg

People commenting on the poll shared their own thoughts regarding mandatory travel insurance.

“I had a stroke in Thailand in 2016, I was in serious trouble with out travel insurance. Bumrungrad Hospital bill was over 50k Australian. Shouldn't be allowed to leave your home port without it”, wrote Facebook user Steve Fry.

“No. I've been coming to Thailand for 30 years. Just paid for basic treatment at a public hospital if something went wrong”, wrote Robert Horley

“I been coming to Thailand every year since 1997, never taken travel insurance.

When I need to see a doctor or treatment at private hospital in Thailand , I am happy to pay out of my pocket! It a small cost, not like Australia where medical excessive ways to high.

I don’t drive scooters or motor bike. Don’t use taxi or tuk tuk. I do drive a car.

I recommend for any tourist who want visit Australia, should take out mandatory travel insurance cos Australia will hit you ten times the costs, than Thailand,” wrote Dale Atkins.

Ted Daniels wrote: “how about the country does something about it's abysmal safety record where it comes to tourists!! Or is that too much to ask?”

While Carter Jenkins said: “Thailand increased the arrival and departure tax for foreigners by 300 baht, this was to pay for any farang who may need medical care as the result of an accident. 600 X 32 million is a lot of revenue raised every year, what's happened to all that?”

Last month it was reported that tourism officials were once again considering making it mandatory for foreign tourists to Thailand to have travel insurance.

The idea was one of a number of measures raised at a travel seminar held in Bangkok on July 25th.

The requirement would help ease the burden on state coffers, the seminar was told, and comes after Thailand was forced to pay out 64 million baht in compensation to the families of the 47 victims and survivors of the Phoenix boat that sank off Phuket earlier in July.

The large compensation pay out has meant that Thailand’s tourist compensation fund is running low and would run out of money completely if another major incident where many people were injured or killed would occur.

The seminar held in Bangkok wasn’t the first time that officials have mooted the idea of mandatory insurance.

In July 2017, a proposal was put forward to the Tourism and Sports Ministry that would have required foreign tourists to have insurance prior to their arrival in Thailand.

It was even proposed that insurance vending machines would be installed at airports and border crossings throughout Thailand so those without insurance could purchase soon after arriving on Thai soil.

The proposal was seen as a way of helping to reduce the burden on Thai hospitals forced to treat an increasing number of uninsured foreigners.

However, the proposals never came to fruition and were widely slammed by tourism operators, particularly the private sector who said the requirement would likely lengthen immigration queues at airports and border crossings as officers would be required to check more paperwork, and could even put some foreigners off visiting Thailand altogether.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-13

Just an excuse to up the cost of the visa. But then when you went to actually use it you wouldn't have insurance and the government would then say...oh, it's a pool of reimbursement funds for hospitals which were not paid. 

So no one is any more insured, the hospitals might see some of it and a whole lot of Thai bureaucrats just but the lottery.

Amirite

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It would be absolutely impossible to enforce, unless people are prepared to wait, literally, hours whilst the I.O. checks the validity of the documentation given to them, showing insurance.

All valid points but Thailand could centralize it and make people buy insurance from a Thai insurance website.  Maybe the site would have a few options, but the site would be accessible by the Thai officials.  Now many people of course have insurance on their own that already covers them, so they would not like having to pay for some Thai insurance.

So the 31% who said no have the money to pay for their own medical bills if necessary? Or they just have zero responsibility? If you don't like Thailand's safety record, stay away. If you decide to visit Thailand, make sure you have health insurance. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.... Tourism would plummet. And rightly so. Not to mention the track record of corruption and ineffective oversight of existing rules. It would be impossible to track and enforce, and simply create another channel for official grift and abuse.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Have you forgotten the two accidents where foreigners had to start a Go Fund Me campaign? If people would spend a few bucks/ Euros to make sure that they are covered if something happens, wouldn't it be a win-win situation for all involved?

Perhaps an insurance that's sold with the ticket? If many people have to buy such an insurance, it can't be too expensive.

People that jump to a go fund me page will always figure others will pay for their rationalizing it's someone else's problem. It's the world of entitlement. Can't afford to travel with the risks then don't. 

The same Should apply to Thai nationals travelling abroad,love to see their reaction.I wonder if there is a chart or report showing total medical bills the Thai government incurred in free treatments to tourists v Total tourists expenditure in the country and taxes collected etc!!?

• Like 2

When going holiday, I am always taking out travel insurance, but when I now live here, I have founds to cover up my expenses in case of accident. Cost of insurance for 20 years, and the cost escalade every year the older I get, I believe it is cheeper to have my founds in the bank for just in case. So yes for holdiday tourists, but if living here and you have the founds, it should not be forced on you. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

The same Should apply to Thai nationals travelling abroad,love to see their reaction.I wonder if there is a chart or report showing total medical bills the Thai government incurred in free treatments to tourists v Total tourists expenditure in the country and taxes collected etc!!?

In some if not most countries I took a thai lady to it is mandatory to have an insurance, no insurance means no visa. Most certainly for Europe. 

Some of the caribbean islands i took her to have a holiday also wanted to see an insurance policy. Lots of other countries have this as a rule. 

3 minutes ago, Carib said:

In some if not most countries I took a thai lady to it is mandatory to have an insurance, no insurance means no visa. Most certainly for Europe. 

Some of the caribbean islands i took her to have a holiday also wanted to see an insurance policy. Lots of other countries have this as a rule. 

Could they really make sense of a Thai insurance policy?

First thing that should happen is that ALL Thai vehicles are insured, and tour companies, tour boats, hotels, taxis etc.  Our travel insurance will not cover you for anything more dangerous than laying in bed ! No cover for bike riding, diving, trekking, elephant riding, going out on the water and more.