Thai man shoots his young neighbor dead because he wouldn't turn down the music

webfact

3 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

got them on beach road , JOMTIEN,  mostly weekends . with their pick up trucks blasting out music right next to the sign that say 2000 baht fine for loud music, as usual the cops do f***  all about it, i feel sorry for the people living across the road,

You get them in Bang Saray also, just a few yards from the new Del Mare condo. In fact I think you can find them everywhere here.

It's appalling for anyone who lives there but also for anyone who just wants a quiet walk along the seafront.

17 minutes ago, Catoni said:

You're quite right.  He didn't have to kill him.  He could have just kneecapped him like the Red Brigades used to to do enemies in Italy..     They prefered to just shoot the person's knee out and make him a cripple for life. Let the guy live but always with something to remind him and teach 'em a lesson. 

Then the aggressor would have a lessser sentence too, after he leaves prison a Thai he can enjoy life a Thai hero

"A Thai man can be jailed, but he can never be insulted". It is a matter of face.

Remember this the next time you go to the carpark to find youths sitting on your car bonnet or motorcycle.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You get them in Bang Saray also, just a few yards from the new Del Mare condo. In fact I think you can find them everywhere here.

It's appalling for anyone who lives there but also for anyone who just wants a quiet walk along the seafront.

I love how you got two words in one sentence that are untranslatable into Thai: 'quiet' and 'walk'.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

got them on beach road , JOMTIEN,  mostly weekends . with their pick up trucks blasting out music right next to the sign that say 2000 baht fine for loud music, as usual the cops do f***  all about it, i feel sorry for the people living across the road,

No "blaring"   ...just bla bla bla

1773614687_P_20170213_173547(Medium).jpg.61f49acc55511d771fb7dd4430600f44.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Firstly, it's agreed upon that playing loud music should not result in a death sentence.  The man will be charged.  Ok?

But having said that, do you really think the police should be responsible for all loud music/noise disputes?  They wouldn't have time for anything else.  But even if they had shown up and taken care of the issue, how about the next night?  And the next night?  Not to mention that the kid and his buddies may want to hurt the man for calling the cops on them. 

I don't have an easy answer for this problem.  But I do hope that this story gets a lot of play in Thai news.  Perhaps a deterrence of sorts. 

Agreed upon that killing was inappropriate here, but it is the way Natural Selection works, and has worked for a long time.

"Your freedom ends, where my nose (or any other property) begins."

Shooter would have been endangering himself more in the short term if he simply called the police, but overreacting made it worse for him in the long term.

As another saying goes though, "If you can't be safe, it's better to be dangerous."

Agreed upon also that government police anywhere is just the dominant organized crime group, and useless in such situations, and more harm than good in most other ones also.

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

I couldn't agree more. Loud music can be selfish and extremely anti social but if somebody truly believes that it is a legitimate reason for a person to be gunned down, then they need locking up themselves. There is always another solution.  

Of course nobody should be shot because of playing loud music because it is against the law. But at least it was a definite solution and the shooter made his point. You guys critisizing the sympathy of some poster should not forget the meaning of the word "sarcastic". Nobody will condone to shot a noisy guy.

55 minutes ago, twig said:

Making it illegal for falangs to own guns in Thailand ain't gonna fix that either. That was just another of the myriad of laws to disadvantage y'all even against a criminal attack.

Like a lot of the outwardly discriminatory laws in Thailand, making it difficult (but not impossible) for a foreigner to own a firearm has probably saved quite a few foreigners from looooong stints in Thai prisons for shootings that would be considered "self defense" back home. 

I'd rather watch someone cleaning out my condo of everything they can carry away than shoot them and spend even a week in a Thai prison- never mind a more likely sentence like a decade.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

We have noisy neighbours on both sides.  One EVERY SINGLE DAY at 5 - 8 pm opens all the doors to his pick up truck and plays his music (with heavy base) at maximum volume.

On the other side the neighbour has started up a wood cutting factory.  On goes the banging base music at 9 - 5 EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I would move house, but we only just built this one and are tired of moving.

The head man lives next door to me, but he does not seem to care about the constant noise.  I don't think there is a solution.  Asking the neighbours to not play the music loud will just make them loose face and get angry with us farang new neighbours.  Asking the head man I am sure he will do nothing or, just tell them it was us who complained.   Same problem.

We had to move house last time due to EXTREME noise.  Now its go me thinking about moving back to the UK... which I really don't want to do.  I can't believe how most Thai people don't care at all about noise pollution at all.  

There is something to be said for the Western countries/cities which have ZONING.    Zoning for a residential area does not include dogs' home, karaoke bar, starting machinery before 0700, Builder's workshop.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Who hasn't wanted to do that in this country? 

To eliminate everything that disturbed your sleep in this country, you would have to take out every person, dog and mo-cy in the country!

4 hours ago, shady86 said:
4 hours ago, smedly said:
yes he deserved to be murdered for loud music - right ??

Are you insane ? you have very clearly lost it along with those that "liked" your post

He should have called the police, it is their job to sort stuff like this out - if they fail to do so (which is likely) it does not give anyone the right to take a gun and murder someone 

You think the police could solve it? That is why people here decide to take action themselves because law and enforcements don't work.

That does not mean you take a gun and shoot someone for loud music - now if he had raped you daughter then that could be entirely different

If the police had rushed into the apartment where the music was playing and shot the guy dead - what would you all be saying then ????

Some people on here really have lost (if they ever had it) any sense of reality, it really is quite shocking

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I couldn't agree more. Loud music can be selfish and extremely anti social but if somebody truly believes that it is a legitimate reason for a person to be gunned down, then they need locking up themselves. There is always another solution.  

I agree with you but please what other solutions can you think of?

5 hours ago, Darcula said:

For the love of music......at least he died doing what he liked.

Being an ignorant selfish <deleted> with no consideration for people who are trying to sleep, and generally just pissing others off? 

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

You're quite right.  He didn't have to kill him.  He could have just kneecapped him like the Red Brigades used to to do enemies in Italy..     They prefered to just shoot the person's knee out and make him a cripple for life. Let the guy live but always with something to remind him. 

The IRA were fond of that too....

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:
4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I agree with you but please what other solutions can you think of?

Earplugs wouldn't send him to prison for decades.