Finished Visa Run - Now Confused ....

I just returned from another visa run to Vientiane which went smoothly and quickly considering past VRs there. I applied for another tourist visa and attached a copy of my pension affidavit from my embassy. I stated the usual reasons on the form, saying I was supporting a Thai wife and medical reasons. I checked the "divorce box" since I am in fact divorced. I did have the customary Thai ceremony but have not registered our marriage yet. So I consider her as a common-law Thai wife for now. The clerk asked me nothing but did mutter the word "O" when I went back to sit down. When I was called to pay my usual 1,000 for another tourist visa, it finally dawned on me the first clerk was giving me a non-immigrant type "O" visa instead, because the 2d clerk asked for 2,000 baht. I was flabbergasted and said nothing, paid the 2,000 and now I have a type "O" visa. But why????? Was she tired of seeing me every 3 months asking for the same tourist visa for the same stated reasons? Was she giving me a small hint that I better go register my marriage before the next VR and apply for an extension instead? Or was she cutting me some slack for a retirement visa since I am 54 .... but my pension falls a little short of the 800,000 per year, though it easily meets the 400,000 for supporting a Thai wife. Has this happened to anyone else? Am wondering if I can go back in 90 days and get another "O" again from her since the "O" is 2,000 for 90 days compared to 2,900 for the tourist with extension. Opinions please?????????????????????????

It sounds as if you got the right visa class as you are not a tourist from what you said on application and you showed means of support. But yes, it could be a sign to get an extension. Put some money into an account and use the pension to make the total 800k requirement if you prefer to stay single. The pension is not required to be over 800k if you have money in bank to make up the difference.

So my choice is to either register the marriage and extend my "O" visa or ... save the difference between my monthly pension and the 800,000 for a retirement visa. Am not sure if I am ready to make this thing "legal" with my beloved mate yet. On the other hand, would need the time of probably 3 more visa runs to have that difference I need for a retirement visa. Wonder what will happen if I just show up again at the end of this 90 day period and apply for another tourist visa for same stated reasons as before .....

So my choice is to either register the marriage and extend my "O" visa or ... save the difference between my monthly pension and the 800,000 for a retirement visa. Am not sure if I am ready to make this thing "legal" with my beloved mate yet. On the other hand, would need the time of probably 3 more visa runs to have that difference I need for a retirement visa. Wonder what will happen if I just show up again at the end of this 90 day period and apply for another tourist visa for same stated reasons as before .....

Go down the retirement path or the marriage path and get an extension now. That'll be the end of visa runs. :o