Non Imm O application in UK

Firstly I apologise if this topic is covered previously but I have trawled through and cannot find it.

I lived in Thailand from the years 2005 to 2012 when I returned to the UK to look after my father who passed away a couple of years ago.

I originally had a work permit as I was working for a Thai law firm and after the job finished I had an extension of stay based on marriage with the required funds in my Siam Commercial Bank account which I have had for over 20 years.

Unforunately for reasons that I will not go into, my wife divorced me without my knowledge as we lost contact during my return to the UK as I was here for much longer than I anticipated.

We were reconciled in 2019 and I have been making regular trips to see her since Covid restrictions were lifted.

We have not remarried.

I now wish to return to live in Thailand but until I have obtained the proceeds of the sale of my house which is currently going through, I do not have the required 800k baht in my SCB account.

I will be able to transfer it on completion of the sale but I want to get a non immigrant O visa here which will give me 90 days in Thailand during which time the 800k baht will be sitting in my account in readiness for the application for retirement extension of stay.

However upon researching the procedure here it seems that I have to have either proof of marriage with 400k baht, or 800k baht already deposited.

Is there any way I can come to Thailand on a 30 day visa on arrival and then apply for a Non Immigrant O whilst in Thailand or do I have to deposit the money in SCB first and kick my heeels around in the UK for 3 months before I come over.

I will be living in Khon Kaen and will have proof of residency.

A friend who lives in Thailand has suggested that I just come over on the 30 day visa on arrival and rely on the services of an agent but I would rather pursue then official line of application if possible.

I would appreciate any help you could give me on this dilemma

Many thanks

Get a tourist visa in the UK.  That will give you a 60 day entry.  Assuming the proceeds of your sale come through within that period transfer the 800k and apply in country for a single non-O, 90 days later get the extension. Easy.  You can always get a 30 day extension of the 60 if needed.

If you have the equivalent £ of 800k in your UK account you can easily get the non-O there.  There have been reports of people getting single non-O's with less £ but I suspect things are getting tighter rather than looser.

Failing that hang around there and enjoy the weather and cricket.

43 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Get a tourist visa in the UK.  That will give you a 60 day entry.  Assuming the proceeds of your sale come through within that period transfer the 800k and apply in country for a single non-O, 90 days later get the extension. Easy.  You can always get a 30 day extension of the 60 if needed.

If you have the equivalent £ of 800k in your UK account you can easily get the non-O there.  There have been reports of people getting single non-O's with less £ but I suspect things are getting tighter rather than looser.

Failing that hang around there and enjoy the weather and cricket.

as posted, after the 60day +30 day extension, if more time is needed you could do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt with a 30 day extension, before applying for the 90 day non imm O

23 minutes ago, steve187 said:

as posted, after the 60day +30 day extension

Note: think you will find that the 30 extension needs to be obtained prior to the 60 day extension to visit wife. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Note: think you will find that the 30 extension needs to be obtained prior to the 60 day extension to visit wife. 

For the confused emoji here is a cut and paste from ubonjoe re this point from another thread.

"You will have to apply for the normal 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry before applying for the 60 day extension.

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension

Marriage certificate plus a copy of it. Some office may also want a copy of the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.

Signed copies of your wife's ID card and house book registry.

Copy of your passport photo page and entry" 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

op is divorced, 60 day is the tourist visa entry, with a 30 day extn, then if required a visa exempt entry with another 30 day extn, giving him 5 months to sort out the financials for the non imm O

i quoted a poster that suggested a tourist visa

Edited by steve187
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

op is divorced, 60 day is the tourist visa entry, with a 30 day extn, then if required a visa exempt entry with another 30 day extn, giving him 5 months to sort out the financials for the non imm O

i quoted a poster that suggested a tourist visa

Indeed.. my apologies.

There is current thread of entering visa exempt (married) and moving to non O and extension.

Mixed the threads up. 

4 hours ago, Upnotover said:

On second thoughts.....

General view of covers on the field as rain stops play

Well, it is a bank holiday weekend in the UK. What did you expect?.....

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Issanraider said:

Firstly I apologise if this topic is covered previously but I have trawled through and cannot find it.

I lived in Thailand from the years 2005 to 2012 when I returned to the UK to look after my father who passed away a couple of years ago.

I originally had a work permit as I was working for a Thai law firm and after the job finished I had an extension of stay based on marriage with the required funds in my Siam Commercial Bank account which I have had for over 20 years.

Unforunately for reasons that I will not go into, my wife divorced me without my knowledge as we lost contact during my return to the UK as I was here for much longer than I anticipated.

We were reconciled in 2019 and I have been making regular trips to see her since Covid restrictions were lifted.

We have not remarried.

I now wish to return to live in Thailand but until I have obtained the proceeds of the sale of my house which is currently going through, I do not have the required 800k baht in my SCB account.

I will be able to transfer it on completion of the sale but I want to get a non immigrant O visa here which will give me 90 days in Thailand during which time the 800k baht will be sitting in my account in readiness for the application for retirement extension of stay.

However upon researching the procedure here it seems that I have to have either proof of marriage with 400k baht, or 800k baht already deposited.

Is there any way I can come to Thailand on a 30 day visa on arrival and then apply for a Non Immigrant O whilst in Thailand or do I have to deposit the money in SCB first and kick my heeels around in the UK for 3 months before I come over.

I will be living in Khon Kaen and will have proof of residency.

A friend who lives in Thailand has suggested that I just come over on the 30 day visa on arrival and rely on the services of an agent but I would rather pursue then official line of application if possible.

I would appreciate any help you could give me on this dilemma

Many thanks

If you apply for a non-O single entry e-visa based on retirement from London you will have 90days from date of grant to enter Thailand and then 90 days from date of entry, to do the extension of stay.

Easiest option, you can pick your moment, perhaps sending some funds just before you fly out?

Options based on retirement;

1. You could apply for the Non O from London, but would require the equivalent of 800K THB in any bank.
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa

2. You could apply for the Tourist visa from London, https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-single-entry-visa which would grant a stay of 60 days + 30 day extension = 90 days.

3. Apply in Khon Kaen to change status to Non Immigrant (Non O) VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf requires at least 15 days permission of stay remaining to apply, and 800K THB in a Thai bank account on the day of submission. Grants a stay of 90 days.

4. Apply for the 1-year permit of stay after 800K seasoned in a Thai bank for 2 months.

Many thanks for the advice.

I thought that the 800k baht confirmation had to be in my Thai bank account to get the non O over here but it is good to know that isn’t the case.

I may do the 60 day +30 day option while waiting for my 800k to sit in my SCB account for 2 months.

Thanks again for the advice 

7 hours ago, Issanraider said:

I thought that the 800k baht confirmation had to be in my Thai bank account to get the non O over here but it is good to know that isn’t the case.

You need to bear in mind what you are applying for.

An extension application is done at immigration in Thailand and requires funds in a Thai bank.

A visa application is done outside Thailand and the funds can be in any appropriate facility.