British Embassy Bangkok warns of the importance of having medical insurance

Jonathan Fairfield

I know a 60 year old lady who was born in Britain of a Thai mother and an English father. She spent the first 50 years of her life in England, could not speak a word of Thai and never even visited Thailand.

She married an English guy and 10 years ago the woman applied for Thai citizenship based on her mother being a duel citizen of Thailand and Britain. No problem, she received Thai citizenship within a few weeks. 10 years ago she and her English husband retired to Thailand. Soon, she bought what is now a thriving cafe business here with no restrictions imposed, she is entitled to all benefits in Thailand as a Thai, so she has the best of both worlds, no worries.

I, as a true blue Englishman am restricted, stuck in a sort of no man`s land now with no statutory rights just because I choose to live outside of Britain and I`m not even an immigrant to Thailand. 

It`s all a load of BS.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, geoffrey morris said:

Can you tell me where i can get medical insurance at age 78, ? i have found it impossible

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I hope that somebody can as I am 74 and in the same boat as you.

Get your Mrs to try Thailife Ins.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It's that kind of attitude matey that pushing the NHS to the wall and risking tax rises to keep them afloat! Birthright indeed, what brand of dinosaur are you for God's sake!! Heads up, the ageing population and poor economy pushed the NHS into crisis mode years ago, that's why the rules on who can access it for free were changed in 2015, please get current with the news on this subject before throwing out one liners that belong in the 1970's.

It's what kind of attitude? Pointing out that British citizens can use their health service whether the government likes it or not?

What has pushed the NHS into a crisis are governments who are ideologically opposed to public services underfunding it, preferring corporate tax cuts and waging wars instead. 

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

i used prakarn and emailed to ask but a quick search on their site turned up this . . 

https://misterprakan.com/en/health/plans?gender=Male&age=70&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=111959

*that was the only policy that came up on search for 70 year old. 

Well that takes care of about 3 months pension money. We will just have to live on fresh air for that time.

I self insure for medical. I am thinking of doing the same for car insurance. My last vehicle I had for 10 years paying perhaps 15000 per year, so say 150,000 Baht. I had no accidents involving other vehicles but reversed into a tree one time and replacing the bumper etc cost around 6000 baht. If I had self insured, I would have an extra 140,000 B in my bank account right now. Of course past performance does not predict what might happen in the future. 

When I came to Thailand I looked for medical insurance and the policies available had all sorts of exclusions including for any pre-exisiting illnesses. They also reduce cover as you get older and I believe refuse cover to over 70s. I am 65 and so could get declining cover for 5 years. The plans I saw also required one to pay large deductibles and they offered so much money for each night in the ICU or regular bed. Having no idea what I might be charged for each night of a stay meant that I may be purchasing cover that didn't cover the cost of the stay.

I have been here for 10 years and have not spent a night in hospital yet and had very little medical care. All of the premiums I might have paid are in my bank account....at 8000 a month, that adds up to 1 million Baht. 

I am wealthy enough to self insure and if I need to shell out two or three for care it won't affect my standard of living. I realise that not all are in the same boat. If you have enough money then medical insurance is a huge cost you don't need to bear

If they start requiring medical insurance in order to get a visa I will leave Thailand and go elsewhere, and many retirees living from pension check to pension check will have to leave as well. That will thin the ranks of the 55000 leaving only those expats with corporate jobs. 

A year or so ago the government were mumbling something incomprehensible about requiring foreigners to purchase medical insurance.  This would be great for AIG and BUPA's profits but would force many, who like myself have been here for a long time, to leave. 

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

i used prakarn and emailed to ask but a quick search on their site turned up this . . 

https://misterprakan.com/en/health/plans?gender=Male&age=70&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=111959

*that was the only policy that came up on search for 70 year old. 

32 million baht coverage? Seems excessive eh? But maybe that is all they will agree to

for a 70 year old male?

We moved out of Thailand in 2016 now visit 3 months a year

A good Travel policy for 3 months with 4 million baht coverage runs $260 USD or 8600 baht

That is less than 3k baht a month

You can also get 18 million baht coverage for $338 or less than  4000 baht a month

60 year old male

To bad expats cant just keep buying travel insurance

But as others have said as you get older things change even for travel insurance.

I was surprised to see a Limit of $60,000 coverage for folks aged 70-79

And a low $12,000 coverage limit for those over 80 years of age Wow!

So the folks that need it most get the least coverage

7 minutes ago, meechai said:

32 million baht coverage? Seems excessive eh? But maybe that is all they will agree to

for a 70 year old male?

We moved out of Thailand in 2016 now visit 3 months a year

A good Travel policy for 3 months with 4 million baht coverage runs $260 USD or 8600 baht

That is less than 3k baht a month

You can also get 18 million baht coverage for $338 or less than  4000 baht a month

60 year old male

To bad expats cant just keep buying travel insurance

But as others have said as you get older things change even for travel insurance.

And a low $12,000 coverage limit for those over 80 years of age Wow!

So the folks that need it most get the least coverage

that was the only one that came up on that search. do the same search for a 50 year old for example and there'll be loads of policies to compare at less than half the price

Regarding keeping links to the UK..........

When I left the UK 6 years ago I was on lots of medications and went to the GP Practice to ask for proof of prescription drugs to take with me in case I had difficulty obtaining them (initially in Cambodia). This however resulted in the practice immediately de-registering me as I had effectively indicated I was moving abroad. They said all my records would be sent to some NHS holding office in Edinburgh and if I came back to live I would have to find a new practice who would request my records and re-register me.

I went back on holiday about 4 years ago and decided to seek advice on medications again so I easily made an appointment with my brothers GP who said I would be welcome as a one-off visitor. I have never met with such a disinterested doctor who obviously was doing his duty but basically couldn't wait to see me out. 

I still have many other UK links intact including credit cards, bank accounts, an address and I pay UK income tax. However if I was to return due to illness and was seeking treatment, I think the only way I would not pay would be if the billing process is as inefficient as reports suggest. If it came down to it I'd not really mind paying but I would absolutely grudge paying 150%! What's the reasoning behind that? Also I have Insurance from Health Care International which seems good cover (premium £1000 per annum I am 63) but have so many pre-existing conditions I am not sure how a claim would go. It is my single biggest expense living in Thailand and affordable now, but I can see why those older members are worried about future affordability.

Taking care of your health seems to be the best option now. I'd not rely on the UK government or the NHS. On the bright side at least here we don't have to watch the continual lies of 'our' inept politicians on TV.

1 hour ago, meechai said:

It is very true & what we strive for with good diet, exercise etc.

But sadly even healthy people get cancer or have accidents.

There are no practical medical insurance policies for over 60s expats in Thailand, whatever their nationalities,  and becomes a matter of hoping for the best. As for striving to stay reasonably fit, the only ways is to live in a glass bubble and even that holds no guarantees we won`t get ill.

Regardless of where we live, the British government is refusing to honour it`s commitments to all of it`s citizens. The non-resident clause is simply a fob off. There are no such clauses imposed on Thai citizens living abroad and any Thai citizen living abroad, provided they keep their I.D cards up to date, can return to Thailand and are eligible for the medical 30 baht scheme regardless.

As I said; this is all BS.

I came back to the UK., in 2009, after 15 years living and working in South East Asia. Went and stayed at a nieces house, I was 61 yeas old at the time. Went into a jobcentre, just to see how much they had changed in the 40 years since I'd last been in one. I was approached by a very nice guy, who asked if I needed any help. I said no thanks. I was amazed, they had computers for job seekers. The same guy asked me again if he could help. He asked me if I was looking for work, which at that moment in time I wasn't and told him that if I was the jobcentre wouldn't have  jobs that I would be interested in. He asked me what sort of money I had been earning when I was working. I told him between 280 & 420 quid a day. He said they would never have any jobs on that sort of money. I said that's why I'm not looking for a job in the jobcentre. A lady came over and said she had overheard our conversation and asked me if I wanted to sign on for jobseekers allowance and that if I did and they offered me a job on the then minimum wage, I would have to take it or lose my jobseekers allowance. When I asked her what she meant by minimum wage, well when she told me I just laughed. Then she asked me how old I was. I told her 61, she said, oh! you can sign on for guaranteed pension credit, which I had never heard of, being out of the UK., for a long time. She gave me a phone number, I contacted the relevant people, had a home interview and got what was pretty much the pension I would get when I would be 65 years old, thankyou very much. Got my bus pass, which you could get at 60 at that time, went and registered at my nieces GP surgery. They asked me for a utility bill with my name and the address on it where I was living. I told them I wasn't the householder and therefore didn't have any utility bills with my name on. I told them I had my British passport and they told me to bring it in, so they could photocopy it. Did that and that was it. So I was back living in the UK., and within a month was back in the system, getting my state pension equivalent, bus pass and NI., GP.,and if needed hospital treatment. That is why they put the Great in Great Britain. 

16 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Same for me.

Paid into the NHS and State pension all my working life. State pension frozen, not entitled to the National Health Service or any UK benefits and to top it all, the British pound has become the weakest currency in Europe. I would benefit more if I were a refugee or an illegal immigrant claiming political asylum entering the country. 

Considering I will be staying in Thailand for the remainder of my life, being a British national and holding a British passport is no longer any use to me, they can shove it where the sun don`t shine. Unfortunately the odds of being granted Thai citizenship that would entitle me to reasonably priced health care are practically minus point zero, so I`m stuck with being British that offers no benefits at all.  I am penalised for being a white, British national, both in Britain and in Thailand. As a pensioner married to a Thai living in Thailand, I receive no concessions whatsoever. Another point, is that I have not emigrated from Britain, I am still British whether I like it or not and I won`t be registering with the British embassy, what for?

The OP message is; you`d better start helping yourself, because we, the British government,  have written you off and BTW, thank you for paying into our system and paying taxes in Britain for the last 48 years, money that will go towards good causes such as providing refugees and illegal immigrants with health care, free education, free housing and welfare payments for them and their families, plus supporting all the single mothers and their kids.

u-p yours.jpg

I can't give you more than 1 silver cup like.

So have a few thumbs up.

For telling the horrible, nasty truth about the uk. 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There are no practical medical insurance policies for over 60s expats in Thailand, whatever their nationalities,  and becomes a matter of hoping for the best. As for striving to stay reasonably fit, the only ways is to live in a glass bubble and even that holds no guarantees we won`t get ill.

Regardless of where we live, the British government is refusing to honour it`s commitments to all of it`s citizens. The non-resident clause is simply a fob off. There are no such clauses imposed on Thai citizens living abroad and any Thai citizen living abroad, provided they keep their I.D cards up to date, can return to Thailand and are eligible for the medical 30 baht scheme regardless.

As I said; this is all BS.

Thete are a number of good insurance policies for expats over 60 living in Thailand.

Some of them even issued from the UK.

I have one, as do many other TV members.

This idea that you can't get insured over 60 comes from people checking out only Thai insurance companies. Which is not where to look in any case if planning to stay here permanently.

If you have pre-existing heart disease or diabetes or have had cancer, it will be much harder to get insured. But a comparatively healthy 60+ person can certainly get a good policy with guaranteed lifetime renewal.

You will not be able to afford it if living on only 20-30 k a month, though. If one accepts health care as an essential expense right up there with food and housing -- as you certainly should when living in a country where you are not eligible for free care -- the minimum needed to live here for someone over 60 retired is probably closer to 40k.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Same for me.

Paid into the NHS and State pension all my working life. State pension frozen, not entitled to the National Health Service or any UK benefits and to top it all, the British pound has become the weakest currency in Europe. I would benefit more if I were a refugee or an illegal immigrant claiming political asylum entering the country. 

Considering I will be staying in Thailand for the remainder of my life, being a British national and holding a British passport is no longer any use to me, they can shove it where the sun don`t shine. Unfortunately the odds of being granted Thai citizenship that would entitle me to reasonably priced health care are practically minus point zero, so I`m stuck with being British that offers no benefits at all.  I am penalised for being a white, British national, both in Britain and in Thailand. As a pensioner married to a Thai living in Thailand, I receive no concessions whatsoever. Another point, is that I have not emigrated from Britain, I am still British whether I like it or not and I won`t be registering with the British embassy, what for?

The OP message is; you`d better start helping yourself, because we, the British government,  have written you off and BTW, thank you for paying into our system and paying taxes in Britain for the last 48 years, money that will go towards good causes such as providing refugees and illegal immigrants with health care, free education, free housing and welfare payments for them and their families, plus supporting all the single mothers and their kids.

u-p yours.jpg

I think you covered the whole scenario of rotten treatment laid down to retired ex-pats . To me it feels like a crime is being carried out by the UK government who do not give a flying xxxk for its own indigenous folk who have supported the NHS all their working life . On a recent UK visit I phoned my GP for an appointment but no answer for 1 hour , so I drove to the surgery and was told I could have an appointment in 3 weeks unless it was urgent ." OK " I said , I will go to the local hospital A&E , I was then given an appointment with the surgery nurse . On my way out of the surgery I looked into the waiting room which was a colourful sea of assorted turbans . So there lies part of the problem with massive immigration over burdening the NHS system . This experience of mine is not uncommon as told to me by other friends from different parts of the UK . 

As for frozen UK pensions , that needs to be re- challenged and turned around , bordering on a fraud/crime , almost a treason . 

17 hours ago, meechai said:

I would of thought that's good cover, nearly 2M baht and better than nowt.

400,000 for over 80 is OK too if your still fit.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I can't give you more than 1 silver cup like.

So have a few thumbs up.

For telling the horrible, nasty truth about the uk. 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What did he expect all the downsides he mentions were known of when I decided to live here, the UK has been a dustbin for years that's why chose Thailand to retire.

It's seems to me people tend to forget many people have a different economic life situation at retirement, mine was if I was to stay UK there would be no chance of the life & comfort I lead here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This idea that you can't get insured over 60 comes from people checking out only Thai insurance companies. Which is not where to look in any case if planning to stay here permanently.

I would say that is a misleading statement, that was not the situation in my case UK/EU/world health ins companies were way too expensive. 

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Did you look at deductible and copay options to reduce premiums?

With my Thai health Insurance we did they presented a list in English and Thai and got a policy which I was comfortable with.

A bit of a long story so in short applying for quotes at the time from western companies they were not affordable or I was too old.

My personal UK experience was I stopped UK health Insurance in my late 40's  because of expense.

I have been reading this topic for days now ,but the bottom line is after a certain age you cant get insurance , and you just have to live with it ,if your married and your home is here ,what else can you do? you cant go back to live in the UK alone just in case you need hospital treatment ,

anyway believe it or not so many here keep a home address and have for 20 years in one case ,if they catch him what will they do,,just cut his pension .

In my opinion, the bigger problem is people want to buy low cost insurance and have it cover every little thing with not out of pocket expense.

Insurance companies have to pay out significantly less than they take in or they are out of business.

If I buy auto insurance, it doesn’t pay for tires & oil-changes.

44 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I have been reading this topic for days now ,but the bottom line is after a certain age you cant get insurance , and you just have to live with it ,if your married and your home is here ,what else can you do? you cant go back to live in the UK alone just in case you need hospital treatment ,

anyway believe it or not so many here keep a home address and have for 20 years in one case ,if they catch him what will they do,,just cut his pension .

Getting some kind of health Ins is better than nothing,  it may depend on what age you apply dunno,  I applied at 67 and got cover for 32,000 baht a year and I budget that amount in monthly with every other cost of living here.

As for your acquaintance if he is caught out they would cut him off from his UK pension. 

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If I buy auto insurance, it doesn’t pay for tires & oil-changes.

I had an accident in my Vigo truck had 1st class ins and they replaced the 2 damaged tyres and 1 damaged rim. ?

On 8/18/2018 at 2:17 PM, bsdthai said:

sounds like the aussie embassy the last couple times i went. not an aussie to be seen.

perhaps they actualy read there insurance policies and realised its probably safer to stay away entirely and outsource...

Been to Aussie Embassy this year wow it’s a bit of a palace,

Archived