British Embassy Bangkok warns of the importance of having medical insurance

Jonathan Fairfield

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Look on gov.uk and see for yourself.

I think perhaps you might be mistaken on this point, I have looked at gov.uk and in other places but I can't find anything to support your claim,m, sorry.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Thats where i looked says that they dont stop a govt pension

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well ring em up and ask them when do they stop pensions, if I don't send my proof of life form they will stop my pension as far as I know.

I got my frozen pension from the off I knew that I don't give a dam what your situation is 

Well ring em up and ask them when do they stop pensions, if I don't send my proof of life form they will stop my pension as far as I know.
I got my frozen pension from the off I knew that I don't give a dam what your situation is 
Yes if you are on a frozen pension you have to send a proof of life but we were not talking about that ,if you are a pensioner and they know your alive they do not stop your pension,that is what this conversation is about,however i am sure that they will reduce it to the amount it was when you left . As for your situation that is your business i was only saying what i had read on the govt website after you said they can stop your pension,kotherwise i have no interest whatsoever only stating facts.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, gamini said:

I have dual nationality. UK and New Zealand. The New Zealand health authorities wrote me a nice reply to my letter assuring me that as a New Zealander I could come back and get subsidised medical treatment. There was no stipulation that I should come back permanently and a few weeks would do.

I have prostate cancer and the  only medicine that works cost about US$12,000 a month. I will get it almost free in New Zealand. Why doesn't the UK treat its nationals the same way. I have paid in a lot of money to the NSH when I worked in England. But now I can't get any treatment

Why doesn't the British Embassy/government mind its own business they aren't going to help anyway, so they should get on with cleaning up the mess they have made in their own country, and keep their medling distributive fingers out of the lives of the ex pat's that managed to get away from the rats ship

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes and he should complained to UK government, meanwhile I'll have another beer. 

Many of us do care about the situation and feel cheated.

You keep coming up with arrogant, smug answers and treating this as if it`s a trivial matter. Good for you, but no need to patronise others that consider this is a raw deal.  Good idea you having another beer.

I do believe there should be some kind of British expats organisation set up to challenge these policies. And before anyone shouts "SO WHY DON`T I START ONE!" This first requires gaining the support of people with clout and can ensure these grievances reach the right people and not fall on deaf ears. Sending letters of complaint as individuals will mostly be ignored and carry no weight whatsoever.

If such a supported organisation was established, I would be an active participant.

I’m willing to get something going. How about a go-fund-me page for seed money?

during the years i have spent in los i have learned that people are quite different

i wouldnt dare to be here without some proper insurance 

i pay 80 000 year for mine, and i am comfortable with that

winter this year i spent 5 weeks in hospital - bill 2 million and a bit

the plan was to fly to northern europe right after i got out of hospital

insurance company did not say no

but urged me to reconsider and wait for some 4-5 days

they wanted to send down a pro. nurse from norway to follow me home

and administer oxygen if needed

and they bought me a new biz class ticket

was pretty pleased with that

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

during the years i have spent in los i have learned that people are quite different

i wouldnt dare to be here without some proper insurance 

i pay 80 000 year for mine, and i am comfortable with that

winter this year i spent 5 weeks in hospital - bill 2 million and a bit

the plan was to fly to northern europe right after i got out of hospital

insurance company did not say no

but urged me to reconsider and wait for some 4-5 days

they wanted to send down a pro. nurse from norway to follow me home

and administer oxygen if needed

and they bought me a new biz class ticket

was pretty pleased with that

How old are you? Does this policy cover long term in Thailand? And please name the insurance company?

I have been reading this topic for days now ,but the bottom line is after a certain age you cant get insurance , and you just have to live with it ,if your married and your home is here ,what else can you do? you cant go back to live in the UK alone just in case you need hospital treatment ,
anyway believe it or not so many here keep a home address and have for 20 years in one case ,if they catch him what will they do,,just cut his pension .
Howmany times does it have to be said?

You CAN get health insurance no matter how old.

If you are living close to the margin you may not be able to afford it, but it is available.

If you have serious pre-existing conditions you may be uninsurable for that reason. But not because of age per se.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In my opinion, the bigger problem is people want to buy low cost insurance and have it cover every little thing with not out of pocket expense.

Insurance companies have to pay out significantly less than they take in or they are out of business.

If I buy auto insurance, it doesn’t pay for tires & oil-changes.
Goes way beyond that. People have wildly inaccurate ideas about what health care and health insurance cost.

There are also people who are resistant to the idea that they need to budget for health care as an essential expense . In some cases because accepting this would lead to the conclusion they can not afford to live in Thailand. In other cases because it would mean cutting back on their life style...and in both instances they are somehow able to belueve they can just ignore this and somehiw it will all just work out. They won't ever have a serious illness or accident...the hospital will waive charges..etc etc.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

How old are you? Does this policy cover long term in Thailand? And please name the insurance company?

yes, the initial cover is for a travel lasting 60 days, then I buy an extension for up to a year

If / Europeiske

where I come from we have a free health care system like the NHS in the UK

however, we have a feature called NHS-foreign that gives you the possibility to use some NHS coverage abroad

this is not widely known - but it is there

the  cost is an additional 2 per cent tax on your income

it gives  you

you are always in the NHS system, at any time you can go back home and be sorted for whatever without charge and discussion

prescribed drugs are generally covered

a very generous cover for days in hospital - about 12000 day I think

operations-procedures not covered - unless you are an outpatient - some exceptions though

physio therapy might be covered - depending - case by case discussion

fees for consulting physicians are covered

My six-month winter stays in Bangkok are risky because at the age of 75, with six stents in my heart and successfully cured throat cancer ten years ago, I can't imagine that any affordable insurance is available to me.  I keep my house in Tokyo to which I can retreat for quite cheap treatment under the Japanese National Health Insurance system, if, that is, I can make it back to Japan for treatment.  I used to think that I could self-insure in thailand but with major hospitalizations now costing from 3-5 million that is not possible any more.  I still like to spend the Tokyo winters in Bangkok but one serious illness or accident could be disastrous if I were not able to fly back to Japan for recovery.  Fortunately, I am a permanent resident of Japan so qualify for immediate care when I return, if I am able to do so.  Japan will pay a portion of the cost of emergency care abroad but don't like it if you are gone for an extended period of time.  I guess that there may come a time when extended vacations in Thailand will be too risky, unless, that is, I suddenly die there in which case there  would be no problem - just my ashes to repatriate.  Any comments are welcome.

15 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

My six-month winter stays in Bangkok are risky because at the age of 75, with six stents in my heart and successfully cured throat cancer ten years ago, I can't imagine that any affordable insurance is available to me.  I keep my house in Tokyo to which I can retreat for quite cheap treatment under the Japanese National Health Insurance system, if, that is, I can make it back to Japan for treatment.  I used to think that I could self-insure in thailand but with major hospitalizations now costing from 3-5 million that is not possible any more.  I still like to spend the Tokyo winters in Bangkok but one serious illness or accident could be disastrous if I were not able to fly back to Japan for recovery.  Fortunately, I am a permanent resident of Japan so qualify for immediate care when I return, if I am able to do so.  Japan will pay a portion of the cost of emergency care abroad but don't like it if you are gone for an extended period of time.  I guess that there may come a time when extended vacations in Thailand will be too risky, unless, that is, I suddenly die there in which case there  would be no problem - just my ashes to repatriate.  Any comments are welcome.

thats a big gamble at your age. Any severe incident could have you bedridden in a hospital with emergency surgery. Ive personally seen 2 cases with friends that destroyed them financially.

Although Im twenty years younger Ive decided to head back to OZ for free medicare and free very expensive drugs that are costing me a fortune here and I dont have insurance either. from oz I can get cheap travel insurance (around 500 AUD for 12 months)for future trips back that will cover me for several million dollars including sudden illness eg stroke appendices, heart attack and medivac flight home.

can you not get travel insurance from Japan? or your native country?

16 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Yes if you are on a frozen pension you have to send a proof of life but we were not talking about that ,if you are a pensioner and they know your alive they do not stop your pension,that is what this conversation is about,however i am sure that they will reduce it to the amount it was when you left

Yes agree the thread conversation is supposed to be about health Ins.

Don't know where on Gov.UK you looked but they talk about suspending a pension, so if you think that 's different to stop OK.

If you think they won't stop your pension if they find or told by someone your telling porkies about where they live they will investigate because you are committing fraud.

17 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I think perhaps you might be mistaken on this point, I have looked at gov.uk and in other places but I can't find anything to support your claim,m, sorry.

On the site it says suspend is more or less stop I thought. ?

Which they will do for non return of forms or fraud.

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Many of us do care about the situation and feel cheated.

You keep coming up with arrogant, smug answers and treating this as if it`s a trivial matter. Good for you, but no need to patronise others that consider this is a raw deal.  Good idea you having another beer.

The threads about health care med ins.

What situation everyone should take care of themselves there country ain't gonna do it for them, I answered questions as I believe it to be,  maybe things have changed over 14 years.

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

On the site it says suspend is more or less stop I thought. ?

Which they will do for non return of forms or fraud.

Yes indeed, the US SSc people do the same thing with their payments............fail to return the proof of life certificate and they send you a second one, if that doesn't get returned they assume you're dead and stop all payments to you, until you show up and tell them you aren't.

Reply from bkk based broker FYI.

There really isn't a lot of options for them - right now all we have is LUMA international that accepts new applicants over 65 and even that is not an option for most because LUMA's rates are very expensive also because they know that they're the only ones who accept 65 - 70 as new applicants. 

Not alot of insurance companies want to take the risk as well. We've tried talking to some companies and they have no plans in pursuing this. 

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:
Reply from bkk based broker FYI.

There really isn't a lot of options for them - right now all we have is LUMA international that accepts new applicants over 65 and even that is not an option for most because LUMA's rates are very expensive also because they know that they're the only ones who accept 65 - 70 as new applicants. 

Not alot of insurance companies want to take the risk as well. We've tried talking to some companies and they have no plans in pursuing this. 

That's not correct, AXA, Pacific Cross and Cigna will accept new business from people aged over 65.

I have found travel insurance which wiil sell me $250,000 coverage for my six-month stay in Bangkok for $1,000 if I select a $2,500 deductible. Now I must check the coverage exclusions carefully.  I have recovered from cancer,   have six stents in my heart and use motorcycle taxis.

Archived