Jump to content

Is there a time limit of stay for whose who have stayed in Thailand for above 100 days consecutively?


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I would like to ask if whether or not there is any immigration rule that restricts the number of days that a tourist allowed to reside in Thailand continuously using a tourist visa and visa exemption ?

 

I will have stayed in Thailand for 120 days consecutively by next week ,using a tourist visa (90 days) and an exemption of visa (30 days in Thai-Cambodian border checkpoint). I want to travel to the immigration to extent my 30-day exempt, but an Indian man told me that a person is not allowed to stay in Thailand more than 120 days consecutively using tourist visa and visa exempt, and that that person has to leave Thailand for at least half of a month before returning back to Thailand with tourist visa. I'm not sure if it is correct?

 

I'm from Southeast Asia (Indonesia).

 

Thanks

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No problem to extend the 30 days, there is no such rule. You could face questions next time when you reenter the country though.

Have you ever stayed in Thailand more than 120 days continuously using tourist visa and visa exempt ? if you did, then what did the immigration official ask you when extending your stay at the Thai immigration, such as showing money, bank account statement, etc. ?

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Ok listen to your indian friend then its 100 days if thats what you want to hear...there are no written rules for visa waiver or tourist visa, there was a 180 day rule which stopped years ago...

 

One of two things will happen...The IO will look at your passport and decide your possibly working and deny you entry or the embassy where you get your visas may decide the same and not give you any more visas

 

At the end of the day its the IO who decides to let you in or not...irrespective of the visa you have 

Thanks. Have you ever got into that situation before (denied extension of stay/tourist visa application for staying too long in Thailand) ?

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

I would like to ask if whether or not there is any immigration rule that restricts the number of days that a tourist allowed to reside in Thailand continuously using a tourist visa and visa exemption ?

No, there is no set limit. However, immigration officers have discretional power to stop you entering whenever they have good reason. The longer you stay in the country as a 'tourist' using back to back visas the chances of being questioned at the border or denied entry increase. You are not supposed to "reside" (live) in Thailand as a tourist.

 

22 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

I will have stayed in Thailand for 120 days consecutively by next week ,using a tourist visa (90 days) and an exemption of visa (30 days in Thai-Cambodian border checkpoint). I want to travel to the immigration to extent my 30-day exempt, but an Indian man told me that a person is not allowed to stay in Thailand more than 120 days consecutively using tourist visa and visa exempt, and that that person has to leave Thailand for at least half of a month before returning back to Thailand with tourist visa. I'm not sure if it is correct?

The longest you can stay continually as a tourist is 90 days per entry. There is no official limit on the number of entries you make. The longer you stay out of the country between entries will help, but there is no set rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Thanks. Have you ever got into that situation before (denied extension of stay/tourist visa application for staying too long in Thailand) ?

No, but i am in Thailand on a work permit

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

I will have stayed in Thailand for 120 days consecutively by next week ,using a tourist visa (90 days) and an exemption of visa (30 days in Thai-Cambodian border checkpoint). I want to travel to the immigration to extent my 30-day exempt, but an Indian man told me that a person is not allowed to stay in Thailand more than 120 days consecutively using tourist visa and visa exempt, and that that person has to leave Thailand for at least half of a month before returning back to Thailand with tourist visa. I'm not sure if it is correct?

There is not such limit. But your source is questionable since Indians do not get visa exempt entries and cannot get a 30 day extension of 60 day tourist visa entries.

You can apply for the 30 day extension without a problem.

There is a limit of 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at at land border crossing which is the only written limit for visa exempt entries.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not such limit. But your source is questionable since Indians do not get visa exempt entries and cannot get a 30 day extension of 60 day tourist visa entries.

You can apply for the 30 day extension without a problem.

There is a limit of 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at at land border crossing which is the only written limit for visa exempt entries.

 

Thanks. Is there any chance that the immigration staff would either interrogate me for staying too long in Thailand or asking for proof of finance, like bank account statement, showing cash ?

 

What the Indian man that I talked to did was he got a tourist visa in India and traveled to Thailand. When his visa was about to expire, he flew to Vietnam to apply for another tourist visa and returned. When his second visa was about to expire, he flew to Laos to apply to another visa, but he got denied.

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Thanks. Is there any chance that the immigration staff would either interrogate me for staying too long in Thailand or asking for proof of finance, like bank account statement, showing cash ?

Not for the 30 day extension if that is what you are referring to.

For entries to the country it is not likely with your history of visas and visa exempt entries.

5 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

What the Indian man that I talked to did was he got a tourist visa in India and traveled to Thailand. When his visa was about to expire, he flew to Vietnam to apply for another tourist visa and returned. When his second visa was about to expire, he flew to Laos to apply to another visa, but he got denied.

He was lucky he got a tourist visa in Vietnam since Indians are on the list of countries that can only apply for visas in their home countries. That is certainly why he was denied in Vientiane. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/RestrictedCountries2013.pdf

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for the 30 day extension if that is what you are referring to.

For entries to the country it is not likely with your history of visas and visa exempt entries.

He was lucky he got a tourist visa in Vietnam since Indians are on the list of countries that can only apply for visas in their home countries. That is certainly why he was denied in Vientiane. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/RestrictedCountries2013.pdf

Thanks. So that means that I would not be questioned by the Thai immigration for extending for 30 days of stay of my visa exemption. But after that, when I would leave Thailand and would return in the future either with a tourist visa or an exemption of visa, I would likely be interrogated by the immigration at the airport/border checkpoint, right?

 

If that would be the case, in the future, would I get denied entry for my history of visas and visa exemptions ?

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Thanks. Is there any chance that the immigration staff would either interrogate me for staying too long in Thailand or asking for proof of finance, like bank account statement, showing cash ?

 

What the Indian man that I talked to did was he got a tourist visa in India and traveled to Thailand. When his visa was about to expire, he flew to Vietnam to apply for another tourist visa and returned. When his second visa was about to expire, he flew to Laos to apply to another visa, but he got denied.

There is a fair chance you’ll get told that your not a genuine tourist if you do to many back to back visas or spend to much time in Thailand, as was told to me after 1 hour interrogation, they told me to go get a retirement visa 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get a tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet and return through a land crossing, you will not have a problem. Reserve your last visa exempt at a land crossing for emergencies. If you have a tourist visa and arrive by air, you will likely be OK, but there is a very small chance an official might suspect you of illegal working and create problems. You should not use visa exempt entries from now on to enter by air unless you have absolutely no alternative. The official has total discretion to deny you a visa exempt entry, and this is something that does sometimes happen to those arriving by air who have already spent significant time in Thailand. There are no hard and fast rules. It is up to the official.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Thanks. So that means that I would not be questioned by the Thai immigration for extending for 30 days of stay of my visa exemption.

No. There is no guarantee that you won't get questioned when applying for an extension of stay about why you are staying so long as a tourist.

 

2 hours ago, 634738AGHXI said:

But after that, when I would leave Thailand and would return in the future either with a tourist visa or an exemption of visa, I would likely be interrogated by the immigration at the airport/border checkpoint, right?

There is a high chance, given your long history as a tourist and your nationality (especially if you're young), that you will get questioned at some point. Avoid using visa exemption.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you get a tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet and return through a land crossing, you will not have a problem. Reserve your last visa exempt at a land crossing for emergencies. If you have a tourist visa and arrive by air, you will likely be OK, but there is a very small chance an official might suspect you of illegal working and create problems. You should not use visa exempt entries from now on to enter by air unless you have absolutely no alternative. The official has total discretion to deny you a visa exempt entry, and this is something that does sometimes happen to those arriving by air who have already spent significant time in Thailand. There are no hard and fast rules. It is up to the official.

Thanks. I got my tourist visa in Vientiane, Laos and arrived in Thailand via border-crossing in Nongkhai. So if I travel to Vientiane or Savannakhet to apply for a tourist visa this time, it would be difficult to get the approval.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Have you ever stayed in Thailand more than 120 days continuously using tourist visa and visa exempt ? if you did, then what did the immigration official ask you when extending your stay at the Thai immigration, such as showing money, bank account statement, etc. ?

read my comment again,  an extension will not give you a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

No. There is no guarantee that you won't get questioned when applying for an extension of stay about why you are staying so long as a tourist.

 

There is a high chance, given your long history as a tourist and your nationality (especially if you're young), that you will get questioned at some point. Avoid using visa exemption.

Thanks. I'm young. Maybe that would create more suspicion. I have been thinking about taking a flight to Cambodia or Vietnam to apply for another tourist visa. But I'm scared of getting denied because I have already got one tourist visa in passport.

 

Is there any restriction on the number of tourist visas or the required time gap between two tourist visas that a person could apply for within one year?

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 634738AGHXI said:

Thanks. I'm young. Maybe that would create more suspicion. I have been thinking about taking a flight to Cambodia or Vietnam to apply for another tourist visa. But I'm scared of getting denied because I have already got one tourist visa in passport.

Unfortunately no one can give you guarantees about getting visas or how immigration will act towards you. Vientiane would probably be ok for another visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

Unfortunately no one can give you guarantees about getting visas or how immigration will act towards you. Vientiane would probably be ok for another visa.

Thanks. Last time, I got my tourist visa in Vientiane. If I apply there this time, it would be difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have known people (non-westetners) to get questioned when applying for extension.

Have answers ready as to why you need to extend your stay.

Their main concern is whether you are working illegally in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

I work on the internet as a freelancer, which means that I don't take jobs from anybody locally.

 

I find the local Thai to be quite nice, so I want to stay here for a while. But the Thai immigration may not accept this reason.

 

Could you tell me some good reasons to tell the Thai immigration in case that they would interrogate me ?

Edited by 634738AGHXI
Link to post
Share on other sites

I work on the internet as a freelancer, which means that I don't take jobs from anybody locally.
 
I find the local Thai to be quite nice, so I want to stay here for a while. But the Thai immigration may not accept this reason.
 
Could you tell me some good reasons to tell the Thai immigration in case that they would interrogate me ?
You have a problem, since it is technically illegal to work as you do without a work permit and business visa, and the imm website will clearly show yoy are basically luving in Thailand.

Don't know what to suggest beyond telling them (if adked -- don't volunteer info) you are self employed (abroad) and able to take long periods of time off and you enjoy travelling in Thailand.

While you will probably get the extension (the people I know who were questioned all did eventually) you are nearing the point where it may becomr hard to get a visa or you may even be denied entry with a visa. Doesb't happen as often as with visa exemot entry, but does sometimes occur. It is not uniformly applied but issues seem to kick in once someone has spent 6 out of 12 months here.

You might consider spending a few months elsewhere like Cambodia or Laos then returning. Cambidia 30 day tourist visa can get 1 month extension with no problem. Most digital nomads in Camb like to stay in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Great and cheap internet connections. Local food not as cheap as in Thailand and definitely not as good, but all types of foreign cuisine much better IMO. I can't tell you re Laos.

Or if you can afford Thai Elite that would be the way to go for long stays in Thailand with no visa hassle.. But most digital nomads cannot.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You have a problem, since it is technically illegal to work as you do without a work permit and business visa
 

I thought it had been confirmed by immigration that doing online work with no connection to Thailand (i.e. digital nomads) did not require a work permit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it had been confirmed by immigration that doing online work with no connection to Thailand (i.e. digital nomads) did not require a work permit?
Technically all work does.

They don't enforce it, sort of an unofficial "don't ask/don't tell" policy. But it will not work well as an explanation to the IO....



Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, manarak said:

I thought it had been confirmed by immigration that doing online work with no connection to Thailand (i.e. digital nomads) did not require a work permit?

"Immigration" have not confirmed that. However, their actions, or lack of, confirm that they are tolerating it.

 

The only verbal announcements by individuals in authority have basically confirmed that tourists, including DN's, can work while in the country. It has also been confirmed in one report that a DN would be, in the opinion of the person being interviewed, considered working after several months of living/working in the country as a 'tourist'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...