Is Pheu Thai smart to have Chalerm as presenter?

webfact

Is Pheu Thai smart to have Chalerm as presenter?

Chalerm-and-Son.png

Like father like son…Wan tries to sell his “tough guy” image just like his father Chalerm once did to win votes

Not many people doubt Chalerm Yubamrung’s claim that the Pheu Thai Party will win the majority in the next election. A lot more, however, must be wondering why he has to say it. In other words, they have no idea why the party allows him to say it.

Chalerm can assume that he is a good representative of the big, albeit embattled party, although quite a few analysts disagree with that assumption. To the doubters, having someone like Chalerm come out and say Pheu Thai will sweep the election and that his son will be in the Cabinet is not good advertisement.

Pheu Thai strategists can dismiss all the baggage that Chalerm and his family bring along, particularly because the party itself has been embroiled in a lot of non-Chalerm controversies. The party’s de facto patriarch, Thaksin Shinawatra, is highly controversial to begin with.

But Chalerm is different from Thaksin in that the former does not virtually divide opinions. When it comes to Chalerm and his sons, most Thais’ opinions seem to go in one direction. The collective national attitude toward the Yubamrung family was formed after years of stunning legal cases it was involved in as well as the jaw-dropping political developments concerning Chalerm, such as his appointment as justice minister.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/is-pheu-thai-smart-to-have-chalerm-as-presenter/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-22

well when you are a drunkard and your son a killer that got away with it because of who he is there are a lot of questions to answer. Wouldnt be surprised if he is looking at getting more payments from his boss to buy more of his favourite drop, this man and his family rank just as low as suthep and his family

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chalerm Yubamrung

There's another dark horse with colorful and checkered past including his sons and his family, if this is the man Thaksin want to front his party, he better prepare another bedroom in Dubai from as well...

It is things like this that make me think the only real hope for Thailand is a completely fresh breath of political air in the form of Thanathorn and his Future Forward Party.

But of course - that potential embodiment of a new, democratic and progressive Thailand WILL NEVER BE ALLOWED TO GAIN POWER.

Don' think an off the cuff comment during a visit to the CSD can be considered as a party statement. Think he was having a dig at Prayut's over confidence and a chance to raise the morale of the party supporters without infringing on the ban on political activities. He is a smart and experience party incumbent. 

21 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Don' think an off the cuff comment during a visit to the CSD can be considered as a party statement. Think he was having a dig at Prayut's over confidence and a chance to raise the morale of the party supporters without infringing on the ban on political activities. He is a smart and experience party incumbent. 

I agree with you, Eric: the headline is misleading. I don't like this character, but he was hardly giving a 'presentation'. Very deceptive headline. Click-bait!

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

It is things like this that make me think the only real hope for Thailand is a completely fresh breath of political air in the form of Thanathorn and his Future Forward Party.

But of course - that potential embodiment of a new, democratic and progressive Thailand WILL NEVER BE ALLOWED TO GAIN POWER.

I like future forward to but sjaak says he was a Suthep supporter.. have you heard anything about this or is it just hot air from that poster. 

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

I'd all wait to our resident Dutch bloke comments. He's big buddies with the red shirt bogey men.

Ah yes we can't have an opinion that differ from yours...Even before I comment you need to say that. Seems I really get to you.

Anyway guys like this in politics just show what a mess it is and how bad it is. The guy is one of the worst crooks there are but he has voters so the PTP likes him. The junta is not much better courting other crooks. To me it shows that there is little hope for Thailand and only new parties with fresh people who are not crooks can move the country forward.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Eric, you must be the only person on the forum who won't recognize what a disgusting reprehensible drunken thug this person is.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I like future forward to but sjaak says he was a Suthep supporter.. have you heard anything about this or is it just hot air from that poster. 

I really like Future Forward as well - I think Thanathorn appears to be a man of honesty and probity. I hope he will one day - maybe far off - become the leader of this country - a leader the Thais can be proud of.

I have never heard that he is a supporter of Suthep. I have not seen evidence, still less proof, to that effect. But anything is possible. Let's wait and see!

31 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Eric, you must be the only person on the forum who won't recognize what a disgusting reprehensible drunken thug this person is.

We have our difference in opinion most time but not this. He is a disgusting individual and sons are despicable thugs; no disagreement. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Actually, I said I saw someone claim (on this forum) that he took part in the Suthep demonstrations, and that was all I claimed. Why are you so upset  about me trying to claim this from this bloke, whose main achievement seems to be that he is a son to a very rich Thai billionaire ?

What are his achievements so far, apart from his wish to shelve the constitution which is probably a wish shared with many other political parties, and rightly so. 

In fact, what he has been saying is something many posters on here have been saying, simply because that constitution has nothing to do with democracy. Mostly to deaf ears when you were concerned. Now all of a sudden you seem to have seen the light. Do you mind if I have a few doubt about this person, considering his background ?

7 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Actually, I said I saw someone claim (on this forum) that he took part in the Suthep demonstrations, and that was all I claimed. Why are you so upset  about me trying to claim this from this bloke, whose main achievement seems to be that he is a son to a very rich Thai billionaire ?

What are his achievements so far, apart from his wish to shelve the constitution which is probably a wish shared with many other political parties, and rightly so. 

In fact, what he has been saying is something many posters on here have been saying, simply because that constitution has nothing to do with democracy. Mostly to deaf ears when you were concerned. Now all of a sudden you seem to have seen the light. Do you mind if I have a few doubt about this person, considering his background ?

We should rightly be cautious about Thanathorn. That is why in almost every one of my posts about him I use the words 'seems' and 'appears' - he 'seems to have integrity', or he 'appears to be a man of probity', etc, etc. He is still very much an unknown quantity. But on the face of it - and that's all we have at the moment - he seems to represent a major potential leap forward for the Thai nation. Only time will tell ...

20 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I never read you said you got the information from this forum. You seemed to be sure of yourself without any proof what so ever. 

I am only upset about how easily you condemn a man without having no proof or real information. 

I think this guy might be a step forward and better as what we have. I have not seen the light at all, i just like to have hope for change for the better. 

I just don't get it how you can defend PTP crooks with all of your power but condemn an other guy without proof. 

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Of course needing to raise the morale of the supporters is quite a negative sign, for the party, that is 

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

I never read you said you got the information from this forum. You seemed to be sure of yourself without any proof what so ever. 

I am only upset about how easily you condemn a man without having no proof or real information. 

I think this guy might be a step forward and better as what we have. I have not seen the light at all, i just like to have hope for change for the better. 

I just don't get it how you can defend PTP crooks with all of your power but condemn an other guy without proof. 

That's rich coming from you ! You spend a lifetime accusing various people named Shinawatra, often with no evidence other than the usual <deleted> spit out by the elite. I am not depending PTP crooks at all, but they are right or wrongly the people the Thai electorate seem to prefer time and time again. 

This guy already said (google it) that they are representing the middle class, that in itself probably exclude him from ever becoming a sizeable factor. Thailand does not need people targeting the middle class, they need parties that try to lessen the huge income gap, that under the Junta has been widenend at a pretty extensive rate, which is of course no surpirse, considering the people they represent...

37 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Of course needing to raise the morale of the supporters is quite a negative sign, for the party, that is 

It's all negative for supporters when the military disrespected their votes, extra-judiciary detention of their leaders, charged them for holding red bowls or calendars or click 'like' and have soldiers in their villages. It is positive for junta supporters though. 

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

That's rich coming from you ! You spend a lifetime accusing various people named Shinawatra, often with no evidence other than the usual <deleted> spit out by the elite. I am not depending PTP crooks at all, but they are right or wrongly the people the Thai electorate seem to prefer time and time again. 

This guy already said (google it) that they are representing the middle class, that in itself probably exclude him from ever becoming a sizeable factor. Thailand does not need people targeting the middle class, they need parties that try to lessen the huge income gap, that under the Junta has been widenend at a pretty extensive rate, which is of course no surpirse, considering the people they represent...

There is plenty of evidence against the Shins.. you just refuse to acknowledge it. I base what i post on news articles not rumors found on a forum. Your not defending them... you could have fooled me. calling Charlem a harmless alcoholic.. I would call that defending. Most people accept he is a big thug who used his influence to clear his sons murder case. I don't call that harmless. 

He also said he was a PTP light seems to me not a Suthep supporter like you claim. I like parties that are for the middle class and yes that will exclude him from becoming a power player if he stays that way. 

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

We have our difference in opinion most time but not this. He is a disgusting individual and sons are despicable thugs; no disagreement. 

Sadly, I cannot think of no better counter weight to the despicable thugs running the country.  Prayuth and Prawit will not be able to debate him, and they will probably fear him, unless they have him arrested.  Politics is not for those with delicate constitutions.  Is there somebody better ? 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sadly, I cannot think of no better counter weight to the despicable thugs running the country.  Prayuth and Prawit will not be able to debate him, and they will probably fear him, unless they have him arrested.  Politics is not for those with delicate constitutions.  Is there somebody better ? 

Yellow boat you said it all.  The problem in this election is that you have 2 parties that have not changed at all in the way they see things.  You have the military party and you have a party that is in it's infancy.

These are factors for a very confusing or lopsided election.  The only way that these parties can do anything or will do anything is if the military's constitution is tight enough.  

It would be so nice to have the parties set a rule that if you have been charged with a crime you can not run, have a senior position in a party or be an advisor and any party failing to heed this would be disbanded.

Hopefully PTP can find someone not related to Thaksin to run as leader

16 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Yellow boat you said it all.  The problem in this election is that you have 2 parties that have not changed at all in the way they see things.  You have the military party and you have a party that is in it's infancy.

These are factors for a very confusing or lopsided election.  The only way that these parties can do anything or will do anything is if the military's constitution is tight enough.  

It would be so nice to have the parties set a rule that if you have been charged with a crime you can not run, have a senior position in a party or be an advisor and any party failing to heed this would be disbanded.

Hopefully PTP can find someone not related to Thaksin to run as leader

Cannot, son hasn't had his turn in the chair yet. It's a family tradition, whether it's good for Thailand not the point.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

There is plenty of evidence against the Shins.. you just refuse to acknowledge it. I base what i post on news articles not rumors found on a forum. Your not defending them... you could have fooled me. calling Charlem a harmless alcoholic.. I would call that defending. Most people accept he is a big thug who used his influence to clear his sons murder case. I don't call that harmless. 

He also said he was a PTP light seems to me not a Suthep supporter like you claim. I like parties that are for the middle class and yes that will exclude him from becoming a power player if he stays that way. 

If you think calling someone a harmless alcoholic is defending them, I guess we differ from what constitutes a defense !

There is precious little evidence against the Shinawatras, all we have is accusations not much else. The Shinawatras have been accused of far more elaborate and nasty things then my claim that someone participated in a protest march. Many of those accusations have never ever been proven. Such as the ludicrous men in black story you keep repeating. Not a single shred of evidence has ever been brought to table that  they were connected with Thaksin, and to use this as an excuse to whitewash the people responsible, is a despicable practice, I have no other words for this. 

I wager a bet that they were connected to the exact same people, as that is the type of persons we are dealing with, and in sharp contrast with Thaksin, the evidence against Prayuth is overwhelming. 

I never claimed the future forward bloke was a Suthep supporter, I claimed he participated in the initial protest led by Suthep, and therefore I surmise he isn't the most clever person on earth, to say it mildly. If he did not, I deeply apologize, but remain very doubtful about his true intentions, seeing where he comes from. 

In any case, if this is your hope for the future of Thailand, I am pretty sure you will be disappointed, as you also became with Prayuth, again Thailand needs politicians that lower the huge income gap, and like it or not, Thaksin made a start with that, and it needs to be taken further. For all Thaksin's ills, he did show the poor majority of people in Thailand that their voices and their votes matter, and despite the elite trying to get that cat back in the bag, it won't go back. And that is the only thing that matters for the good of Thailand, all of it's citizens, not just the merry few that are currently reaping the profits.

Archived