GISTDA acknowledges flood conditions but says situation is manageable

webfact

PNEVN610821001000401.jpg

NAN, 22 August 2018 (NNT) – The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) has reported that 30,000 rai of land in Nan is experiencing flooding with most of it being lowland, while confirming that over 700,000 rai of land has been set aside for the retention of flood water. 

Using the Cosmo-Skymed-3 satellite, GISTDA has tracked flooding in the north and northeast, acknowledging tropical storm Bebinca set off flooding in several areas. 

GISTDA Director Anon Sanitwong Na Ayuthaya has concluded that about 30,000 rai of land, mostly low lying farmland, has been affected by flooding. Sirikit Dam in Uttaradit province is taking in about 100 million cubic meters of water a day and discharging a large amount to maintain a manageable situation. 

The rising Nan and Yom rivers meantime will impact the lower northern region over the next two to three days. The government has prepared about 1 million rai of land for water retention in the region and farmers have been assisted to harvest more than 700,000 rai of crops so that their land can be set aside to take on more water. 

Kaeng Krachan Dam in Petchaburi province is expected to rise in coming days and will be closely watched for up to 10 days.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-22

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Whatever floats your boat.

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government has prepared about 1 million rai of land for water retention in the region

Is this spin-doctor language for "we know it's going to flood, so let's talk our way out of it"?

The only thing they did since 2011 is what they are talking about here.. the monkey cheeks. They set aside far more land then at that time to buffer the flooding. So that is a good thing, the only good thing because in my opinion this goverment and the previous one should have done far more and should have started infrastructure works to help against the flooding. Both governments made plans that came to nothing. 

They also made roads a bit higher so it would stop the water (low dams) so a repeat of 2011 is less likely. Maybe they figure that is enough as its mainly the north that floods. They should really do far more. 

Also the local governments are not free of blame, every time i see the same make shift sandbags at the same spots at river banks. Why can't they place a more permanent structure at places like that. Something made out of concrete with rebar. Its the same spots year after year, i can vividly remember one bend in the river that has been in the news quite a few times and every time just sand bags. A local government could have done far more.

Where I live Bang Bua Thong we were flooded in 2011, now they did put some new sluices there to help manage water but otherwise not much. Also they are NOW cleaning the drains for extra draining. I am pretty sure the sluices could not handle a 2011 event.

Archived