Need to refill Honda Civic radiator every few days

scorecard

9 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Just to be awkward i mean Petrol Engined Cars like Teana, Accord, Civic,Mazda etc they dont have them anymore perhaps diesels do..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's much cheaper to have an indicator light than a fully-fledged analogue or digital temperature gauge. For example, if the indicator light costs $5, and a full gauge costs $20, that might not sound like a big deal.

However, if you are a vehicle manufacturer and you sell a million of a particular model in a year, it's serious money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iem said:

The op states NO overheating has occurred . If there has been NO overheating it is most unlikely the head or block has cracked , the head warped etc .

When did I say NO overheatng has occurred?

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's much cheaper to have an indicator light than a fully-fledged analogue or digital temperature gauge. For example, if the indicator light costs $5, and a full gauge costs $20, that might not sound like a big deal.

However, if you are a vehicle manufacturer and you sell a million of a particular model in a year, it's serious money.

Plus they set the temp lower for LEDs so you cant interpret it like a gauge, you just panic,and fix it.!

Water loss can be very complicated..I recall pulling a Chevy V8 apart, punched out the freeze plugs to find the block water jacket was full of rust, on closer inspection of the bores there were tiny pinhead black marks which showed the water jacket corrosion had eaten it's way through to the bores..

Yes it was scrap block...?

36 minutes ago, transam said:

Water loss can be very complicated..I recall pulling a Chevy V8 apart, punched out the freeze plugs to find the block water jacket was full of rust, on closer inspection of the bores there were tiny pinhead black marks which showed the water jacket corrosion had eaten it's way through to the bores..

Yes it was scrap block...?

I've been thinking along these lines since reading that Honda had manufacturing problems with their castings around this time.   A cracked head is at the high pressure and temperature end of the engine, any leak of gases on ignition would cause severe overheating.    Half way down the bore after ignition the pressure is greatly reduced and may not over-pressurise the water jacket.  The partial vacuum of the induction stroke could draw a tiny amount of water in through pin holes.            OP,  have you removed the spark plugs yet as they tell you a lot about your engine. Are the electrodes identical in colour, are they black or brown, oily or sooty.   This gives a trained mechanic a vision into the heart of your engine, what's more it's cheap.  

• Like 1

OP when the cooling system is topped up, is it filled only to the fill level line on the expansion tank or to the top?

Running it for so many years with no corrosion inhibitor will certainly have taken its toll in terms of internal corrosion of the water jacket. 

In the UK we call the frost plugs, core plugs. Yes, they can corrode thru' and get pinprick holes in them.

Older French cars i.e Peugeot, Citroen & Renault often had a warning light instead of a temperature gauge. My runabout Peugeot 205 Td has no gauge. 

Edited by Lancashirelad

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Just to be awkward i mean Petrol Engined Cars like Teana, Accord, Civic,Mazda etc they dont have them anymore perhaps diesels do..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My wife's brand new Civic has a gauge.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the Honda is repaired and everything working well.

After much delay because of sickness we took the car to ProAuto at Hang Dong. Khun Ton ran some tests and identified:

- When the radiator water is hot it's leading where the top of the radiator is fitted (soldered) to the top of the radiator coil, and when the water leaks out it goes down onto the radiator core and evaporates quickly.

- The engine block distorted, water coming out as steam and evaporating. 

I asked Khun Ton to please fix the above and to expand the work to a major overhaul.

We picked up the car 4 days ago, the water top up problems all gone and engine running smoothly, also air-con much colder.

I can't really isolate the cost of the first two items (Radiator / shave the engine block etc.) but I'm more the happy with the total very reasonable price.

As others TV CM members have shared, I'm quite impressed with Khun Ton and his team. Knowledgeable, focused, good communications, no bullshxx and great result.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

I think maybe you mean the cylinder head?

skim the head.

Your man sounds like a good mechanic.

Yes your probably correct - cylinder head.

I'm impressed with the owner of ProAuto Khun Ton, very knowlegable, his Thai mechanics also, also very customer satisfaction focused and excellent English, good listener, I would certainly recommend him.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

So the radiator was leaking.

Shocking

Yes it was, my son took the car to 3 small local mechanic outfits before we eventually ended up at ProAuto.

Every time my son went to a local I suggested he ask them to check if any problems with the radiator. They all looked at the radiator for 1 -2 minutes then said 'no problem'. 

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Nothing more specific than reasonable?

Eventually, at my request ProAuto did a lot of additional work on the car and I consider the total cost very reasonable.

I'm not going to post actual Baht numbers, that would just start another 20 posts with all sorts of twists, criticisms,  etc., etc.

No further comment.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1